Getaway Feb 18-26 mini review Haven 2 bedroom cabin

Peachypooh

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

Peachypooh was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

There is a lot to like that happened on this cruise and a lot that could have been much better. First the good points.

We were in a Haven 2 bedroom which consisted of my husband and myself and our two grand daughters. The service

was really great. Our room steward and butler really made the cruise for us and kept the cabin tidy and lots of snacks

to keep us full between meals.I was surprised to see that the Haven pool was open with no retractable roof but that 

was OK except for the first and last days when it was unusable due to the cold weather. I used the hanging door tags

for room service breakfast and the butler came right on time and was accurate. Embarkation and disembark days went smoothly

and also the priority disembark at port stops. Our cabin was spotless. Burn the floor was enjoyable. Great Stirrup Cay tender system

is much improved. They even have a lift so people that need help with stairs inside the tender don't have to take them. We got a

cabana which was totally worth it.

The things that drove me crazy were the constant itinerary changes before and during the cruise, getting in late to Port

Canaveral and  them( unasked) moving our excursions from one day to another basically double booking us and thenboth  cancelled

all together. I really didn't mind going to Miami instead of Bermuda. We were familiar with Miami and just took a cab

to the Bayside Marketplace. We walked around and had lunch at Bubba Gumps Shrimp Company. It was excellent.

The ship was so crowded that we got to do almost nothing! Partly my choice because I couldn't stand the crowds and loud noise

and partly due to venues filling up fast. Every time I went into the main part of the ship I just couldn't cope. The buffet

and pool deck were especially chaotic. Bars were packed.

I can add more later but am open to questions. We went on this particular cruise knowing it was President's week but

I have to say that I don't think I will pick this week again.

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am sailing with my mobility impaired mother. Could you share a bit more about the lift in the tender. This is the first Ivan hearing of it. Mom walks with a cane and needs to avoid stairs. This may open up a chance to visit GSC. 

Next year the Getaway will only do 10 day itineraries. This will drastically cut down kids unless parents take them out of school. Because of that, we are flying to Miami and doing one week on the Encore. I was very disappointed that NCL didn’t repeat what has been a tradition in the Metro area. I guest kids don’t drink, tip and buy stuff. We too were in the two bedroom Haven and I’ve never seen a crowd like that. The kids were in Splash Academy for at least part of almost every day. We went to Disney ( they’re first time). I almost had heat stroke and a breakdown but they loved it. GSC was gorgeous . We all had a great time. They made wonderful friends in the Haven. If we weren’t in the Haven it would have been a nightmare. Except for a terrible concierge every service person was wonderful. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kruiserkatie said:

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am sailing with my mobility impaired mother. Could you share a bit more about the lift in the tender. This is the first Ivan hearing of it. Mom walks with a cane and needs to avoid stairs. This may open up a chance to visit GSC. 

You're welcome. I sometimes need a cane and brought it on the tender thinking I would need it. 

They directed me to this glass box that would easily hold 2-3 people. A crew member got  in the box with me and pushed a button. It very smoothly transferred me from one level to another. A real game changer. I think she will like it.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Peachy.  This is another review recently that speaks of a very crowded ship with lots of kids. You are right.  While cruising in February is good, try to avoid Presidents Day and Valentines Day week.

We both cruised 2 bedroom Haven suites. The Haven on Encore cant even compare to Getaway.  There is so much more space on Encore.  If I remember correctly, your Encore cruise had some wild kids on it too.

7 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Next year the Getaway will only do 10 day itineraries. This will drastically cut down kids unless parents take them out of school. Because of that, we are flying to Miami and doing one week on the Encore. I was very disappointed that NCL didn’t repeat what has been a tradition in the Metro area. I guest kids don’t drink, tip and buy stuff. We too were in the two bedroom Haven and I’ve never seen a crowd like that. The kids were in Splash Academy for at least part of almost every day. We went to Disney ( they’re first time). I almost had heat stroke and a breakdown but they loved it. GSC was gorgeous . We all had a great time. They made wonderful friends in the Haven. If we weren’t in the Haven it would have been a nightmare. Except for a terrible concierge every service person was wonderful. 

I think the assistant concierge (don't remember her name) was great on priority embarkation and disembark. But Hubert (I think that's his name) was not good at all. We were under the Haven sundeck thinking it was adults only but we had kids running overhead. Someone on another thread said the concierge  now lets kids up there? I agree GSC was gorgeous. My daughter took her kids to Disney and they waited in line for 3 hours to ride the Millenium Falcon? LOL Glad I didn't go. Glad you had a good time.

4 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Thanks for sharing Peachy.  This is another review recently that speaks of a very crowded ship with lots of kids. You are right.  While cruising in February is good, try to avoid Presidents Day and Valentines Day week.

We both cruised 2 bedroom Haven suites. The Haven on Encore cant even compare to Getaway.  There is so much more space on Encore.  If I remember correctly, your Encore cruise had some wild kids on it too.

You have a good memory David! Yes the Encore was a much better Haven experience. The Horizon lounge

was sorely missed on the Getaway. Yes there were wild kids on the Encore but much less of them I was told 2000 kids on this sailing and it seemed like they were all in the Haven (exaggerating of course.) Someone did hold a kids's birthday in the Haven lounge right next to the bar!! A bunch of kids sitting in all the chairs and doing birthday party stuff. Never seen that before.

1200 kids out of 4800 on our Getaway sailing. Kids were not allowed outside on the sundeck and finally half way through the cruise they put up a sign in the stairwell. I love my grandkids but it was bonkers. One man was particularly angry and got a server to reprimand the kids a few times. The Haven is always taken over by kids that week and if you don’t want high blood pressure you have to note the dates when booking. Hubert was less that ineffective. Lourdes was great we tipped accordingly and she should be promoted.

11 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

1200 kids out of 4800 on our Getaway sailing. Kids were not allowed outside on the sundeck and finally half way through the cruise they put up a sign in the stairwell. I love my grandkids but it was bonkers. One man was particularly angry and got a server to reprimand the kids a few times. The Haven is always taken over by kids that week and if you don’t want high blood pressure you have to note the dates when booking. Hubert was less that ineffective. Lourdes was great we tipped accordingly and she should be promoted.

Thanks for the official number. I was told 2000 by my room steward probably because it seemed that many to him LOL.We tipped Lourdes (thanks for letting me know her name) but not Hubert. I agree Lourdes should be promoted.

58 minutes ago, kruiserkatie said:

P.S. The still have at least one of the tenders with no lift in them. Ask to be put on one with a lift (there are two of them)

They also have sand wheelchairs with the big puffy wheels. Not sure if you need to reserve in advance but there are attendants to push them. It’s worth the effort. If you get a villa, order your lunch to be delivered. We didn’t know that we had to order on the ship fruit skewers , dip and crudités etc.

• Like 1