Spa Services -- Acupuncture

Italy52

4 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Has anyone done the acupuncture service in the spa?  Would like to hear your comments about it if you did.

It's expensive as all get out.  I go for acupuncture regularly at home. Wouldn't entertain going on the ship unless I had an issue needing attention. 

• Like 1

Just now, cjpj said:

It's expensive as all get out.  I go for acupuncture regularly at home. Wouldn't entertain going on the ship unless I had an issue needing attention. 

Thanks for the post.  We went to an arthritis seminar by the Dr. that performed the acupuncture.  During the seminar she mentioned we all got a free 15-minute consultation and asked for our cabin numbers.  DH suggested I go because I had some cracking in my neck so I did if he promised to go to the appt for an issue with his hand.  We both went to the first appt. and the doctor performed the acupuncture service then she mentioned that she would need to see both of us 2 more times for a total of 3 visits --- yes, not cheap.  I agreed to the second appt because I thought it might be working.  However, when she wanted to set up a 3rd appt. I told her I really don't think I was seeing the results that she had lead me to believe.  She then said that everyone is different.  Well, I am home from our 5-day cruise and I can honestly say, I don't think it was worth the 2 visits --- hence, reason for my post as I was wondering if anyone had gotten any benefit from the service or was it just a "come on."

I do acupuncture regularly at home 

If you have a new area of pain it can alleviate it quickly

If it is a chronic pain then it takes many more treatments

It also works great for anxiety and asthma

For anxiety it can work immediately

For asthma it may take a few treatments

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks for the post.  We went to an arthritis seminar by the Dr. that performed the acupuncture.  During the seminar she mentioned we all got a free 15-minute consultation and asked for our cabin numbers.  DH suggested I go because I had some cracking in my neck so I did if he promised to go to the appt for an issue with his hand.  We both went to the first appt. and the doctor performed the acupuncture service then she mentioned that she would need to see both of us 2 more times for a total of 3 visits --- yes, not cheap.  I agreed to the second appt because I thought it might be working.  However, when she wanted to set up a 3rd appt. I told her I really don't think I was seeing the results that she had lead me to believe.  She then said that everyone is different.  Well, I am home from our 5-day cruise and I can honestly say, I don't think it was worth the 2 visits --- hence, reason for my post as I was wondering if anyone had gotten any benefit from the service or was it just a "come on."

Well, depending on the issue, acupuncture is not a quick fix. I have back issues doing my stretches religiously and going to the Enclave or Thermal Suite usually keeps it in check. At home, if I feel it tightening, I'll go for a tune up. If it spasms, then it is getting acupuncture, and physio for multiple days, gradually tapering off.

• Thanks 1

Interesting comments, thanks for your input.  Forgot to mention, I was not a fan of the pain with the needles.  Some didn't hurt but others were painful especially the ones between my fingers.

Edited by Italy52

I am a believe in Asian medicine including acupuncture.  I do think it works.  But I did one of those sample sessions.  "It won't hurt". "You won't feel a thing". "You will feel immediate relief".

I felt the needle going in.  I felt the sensation after he removed the needle.  Not for me.  No relief.  I was told I had a slippery pulse.  Did ask an acupuncyurist I knew what that meant.  Something about my pulse (One of the most typical wide pulses is called a rolling or slippery pulse – this one feels something like small beads rippling underneath the fingers This pulse indicates food stagnation in the intestines, or a build-up of phlegm somewhere in the body.). I have asthma.  hmmmm

• Thanks 1