Miami Marathon, OH NO!

seaseid

We are leaving out of Miami on Jan 28th on Conquest. I just looked at the race map and it runs right by the port. WOW I'm sweating getting there because we are driving and like to get there to get on the ship first thing, Has anyone ever experienced that before.

5 minutes ago, seaseid said:

We are leaving out of Miami on Jan 28th on Conquest. I just looked at the race map and it runs right by the port. WOW I'm sweating getting there because we are driving and like to get there to get on the ship first thing, Has anyone ever experienced that before.

Oh my! I heard that was such a mess this year and that the Marathon shut the tunnel down and many people could not get to the ship. John Heald even talked about it on his facebook page. Can the tunnel be skipped by coming in from Biscayne blvd? 

We arrived back in Miami last month on the 28th and had no issues leaving Port. However, our flight didn't leave until 5:30pm so we got a day room at the Hilton. The Lobby was packed due to Shuttles running so late due to traffic and road closures. So allow yourself plenty of time.

Came off a cruise in FLL during the morning of a Marathon...and I lived in FLL at the time. What should have been a 10 minute taxi ride home turned into an hour due to street closures....we had to go way around out of our way to get around. It was a nightmare and they just close streets down not caring the impact on drivers. I now always look to see what's going on during dates for cruises to make sure there isn't an issue. My advice....change your sailing date....it's not worth the stress.

Edited by bajathree

21 hours ago, asalligo said:

Oh my! I heard that was such a mess this year and that the Marathon shut the tunnel down and many people could not get to the ship. John Heald even talked about it on his facebook page. Can the tunnel be skipped by coming in from Biscayne blvd? 

The marathon departs early in the downtown area and the entrance to the tunnel should be free and clear.

On Saturday they will only have local streets closed not the bridge that has the entrance to the tunnel and on Sunday the bridge is clear and opened around 11 am as the marathon starts at 5:55 am.  Biscayne Blvd will remain closed until the race is finished. 

This was from this year and as you can see, the MacArthur causeway issues were due to be from 5 am through 8:15 am. As the start and cross this and loop back another way, they do open the MacArthur causeway to traffic much earlier on Sunday.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/road-closures-for-the-2023-miami-marathon-16222762

Do you have a link to where John Heald states that many were not able to get to their ship because that has done been talked about in the local Brickell/downtown news?

There was another issue that closed the tunnel around noon but it wasn't due to the marathon so to those cruising next year I wouldn't worry about it. 

I still have "nightmares" of having to listen on Sunday  to "one more mile" from the DJ that was on Brickell Ave to encourage the runners all morning!!  LOL

On 2/28/2023 at 2:36 PM, seaseid said:

They've ran this course or similar routes for years.  Generally no issues.  I can see where Bajatree would have had an exit problem pre tunnel though as early routes went through Winewood.

As I recall there's a cut off time for finishing and the course set up "rolls", meaning once the last runner is past the blocks are cleared for traffic.

19 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Do you have a link to where John Heald states that many were not able to get to their ship because that has done been talked about in the local Brickell/downtown news?

John Heald only said that porters would be kept late, the tunnel being closed and reports of people missing the ship came from other peoples comments in the thread. 

John Heald - For those of you trying to get to Carnival... | Facebook

image.thumb.png.eeaf03375b73424db342825a359b6116.png

3 hours ago, asalligo said:

John Heald only said that porters would be kept late, the tunnel being closed and reports of people missing the ship came from other peoples comments in the thread. 

John Heald - For those of you trying to get to Carnival... | Facebook

image.thumb.png.eeaf03375b73424db342825a359b6116.png

Thanks. I know it wasn't a scheduled close because they post those each month and they run from 8 pm through 5 am. 

this year was clearly an unusual one. 

Thanks for finding the link. I don't follow him so hadn't seen it. 

• Like 1