Need pre-cruise Rome advice

marymount

First off, thank you to everyone on these boards with the advice you give us “newbies”. With that said, my hubby and I are now booked on our first Med cruise.  We fly into Rome 2 days pre-cruise (actually more like 1 1/2 by time get to city center Rome hotel). Our 2 must sees are the Colossium, and St. Peter’s Square and Basilica (not necessarily the museum). If time permits, the Trevi fountain. We are early 70’s, still able to walk, albeit more slowly nowadays. We are staying at the Hotel Smeraldo and had planned to walk, if feasible, to these sites. Can anyone suggest  if this is possible and in what order/timeframe can it be done. Or any other comments with do’s and dont’s. 
Anxious but excited! Oh forgot, will be there this July.

Thank you.

Edited by marymount

From Hotel Smeraldo, you can walk to the Colosseum in about 25-30 minutes. There are a couple of different routes. The slightly shorter one will take you by Largo Argentina (site of several ancient Roman republican-era temples and now a cat sanctuary), then along the Via dei Fori Imperiali, with the ruins of the Roman forum to your right and the various Imperial forums on the left. Once on this major avenue, you will easily see the Colosseum in front of you.

The longer route takes you past the Theater of Marcellus (which looks a bit like a miniature Colosseum), then along the street that leads to the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin -- famous for the "Mouth of Truth" (Roman drain cover, made famous in the movie "Roman Holiday") displayed in its entry portico. From there, you'll walk alongside the long flank of the Circus Maximus with great views of Palatine Hill (Emperor's residence) above it. Turning onto Via di San Gregorio will lead you past Palatine Hill and directly to the Colosseum.

Either way you get a great mini-tour of ancient Rome!

Use Google maps to see the two routes I've described: the one with blue dots is the longer one, the gray line is the shorter one:

https://goo.gl/maps/vHXh9bxA736ZvUMV6

• Like 1

From Hotel Smeraldo to the Vatican on foot should take about the same amount of time: 25--30 minutes. (Estimates are for walking at a fair pace, if you stop, take photos, etc. it will be longer.). Basically you will walk north first, taking a slight detour to the north to see Piazza Navona (take some time to enjoy this beautiful piazza), then retrace your steps slightly and walk along the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, staying on it across the bridge. Once across the bridge, you turn left at the first major intersection (not the road that goes along the riverbank but the next one) and it will lead you to St. Peter's Basilica.

https://goo.gl/maps/DiRxznd3KFY2F9th7

Forgot to mention above -- I would do one of these walks on each of your two days. If you don't plan to go to the Vatican museum (which is the ONLY way to see the Sistine chapel), then I might suggest you do the Colosseum on your first day and your Vatican walk on your longer day, continuing by taking a taxi from the taxi stand just outside the arcade around St. Peters' to the Pantheon (should be around 10-15 euro depending on the route taken and traffic). Then walk from the Pantheon to Trevi fountain (shortish way but both are worth seeing and many pleasant shops, restaurants there).

• Like 1

We did something similar 4 years ago. Stayed at the Terrace Pantheon Relais so near your hotel. I was 66 at the time and with my 22 year old nephew. We arrive mid morning in Rome and after walking to Campo deFiori and lunch went back to the hotel and unpacked. We were lucky as it was a Friday so we were able to go to the late opening of the Vatican Museum. We headed to the Vatican around 4. We had planned to walk but took a taxi as it was raining. There is a taxi stand conveniently at Largo Argentina. We saw St Peter's Basilica first and then walked around the wall to the museum entrance. We took a taxi back to the Pantheon area around 8:30 pm and had dinner with a view of the Pantheon. The next day we had an early morning Colosseum Underground tour. We had purchased tickets ahead of time and we were able to just head in when it was time. I think we were at the Colosseum around 2 hours. We walked back to the hotel picking up some food on the way and having an al fresco lunch on the hotel terrace. We took a nap and then headed out around 4 again and walked up Via del Corso and over to the Spanish Steps. We stopped a few places for a rest and a glass of wine. We then headed back toward the hotel passing the Trevi Fountain. We had a late dinner at a restaurant near Pizza Navona. The next morning we took a taxi to Termini for our train to Civitavecchia. We were there in April and it was warm but not like July. Plan your walking for early morning and evening and you should be OK. And take a taxi if you need to.

• Like 1