Shore snorkeling recommendations

houseflipper48

@Capt_BJ recommends Sunset House.  I haven’t been, but it’s accessing the same general area as Eden Rock, with the addition of a bar/restaurant, which the Eden Rock area doesn’t have since Paradise Restaurant closed.  It’s better for more experienced snorkelers and strong swimmers, and you’ll want life vests and fins.

https://www.sunsethouse.com

If you can do without a restaurant, or if you have kids or beginners with you, I’d go to Smith Cove.  Nice little beach with some rocks to snorkel around, bathrooms.  About the same travel distance as Cemetery Beach but in the opposite direction.  You’d likely need a taxi and would want to arrange a return pickup in advance.

6 hours ago, bookbabe said:

@Capt_BJ recommends Sunset House.  I haven’t been, but it’s accessing the same general area as Eden Rock, with the addition of a bar/restaurant, which the Eden Rock area doesn’t have since Paradise Restaurant closed.  It’s better for more experienced snorkelers and strong swimmers, and you’ll want life vests and fins.

https://www.sunsethouse.com

If you can do without a restaurant, or if you have kids or beginners with you, I’d go to Smith Cove.  Nice little beach with some rocks to snorkel around, bathrooms.  About the same travel distance as Cemetery Beach but in the opposite direction.  You’d likely need a taxi and would want to arrange a return pickup in advance.

Eden Rock DOES have a restaurant now.  I was just there 2/20/23

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 7:50 PM, houseflipper48 said:

Hi. We are looking for decent snorkeling from shore. We have our own equipment. We've been to Cemetary Beach, but it's been yrs since we were there. A bar/restaurant would be a plus!!

If you have your own gear and don't mind a 1.2 mile walk, turn right from the cruise terminal and go down to Smiths beach.  Stay here for a bit.  Then go back towards the cruise terminal and go to Eden Rock.  The Devils Grotto is there to snorkel.  It's amazing.  They have drinks, picnic tables and food.

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Eden Rock DOES have a restaurant now.  I was just there 2/20/23

That must be relatively new.  I didn’t notice it when we drove by in January, but I wasn’t really looking too hard.  Great idea on their part with Paradise closed, should get a fair number of cruisers since that’s the most convenient snorkeling to the port, even if it is a more challenging snorkel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bookbabe said:

That must be relatively new.  I didn’t notice it when we drove by in January, but I wasn’t really looking too hard.  Great idea on their part with Paradise closed, should get a fair number of cruisers since that’s the most convenient snorkeling to the port, even if it is a more challenging snorkel.

They built it during covid.  Took the place of the lockers that used to be there.  Still the nicest people working there.