Striking Out to New Turf – A Joy(ful) Live – 3/18 – 3/25, Western Caribbean

Welcome home.  Sooo, your next LIVE begins in June or July?…lol.  Can’t wait!  Our post-live will be in May after our Prime via NYC to Bermuda.  Honestly. I’m on the fence about Prima…but we’re totally looking forward to the Price is Right.  I actually got into the audience in 2000…didn’t hear “come on down” but was still an experience.  While you were away:  Be sure to check out the FDR retirement thread that you missed (or couldn’t comment) while you and DH were relaxing.  So happy you both had a great time.  

IMO. Sounds like someone is overworked and “over it”.  This is wrong on so many levels…where to start. Hopefully, it's like laudergayle suggested above:  that that particular bartender was being truculent, rather than following a new policy. I don't believe it was any ill will of the bartender. Rather, it seemed to be she was way too overworked. I would like Norwegian to properly staff their bars. Especially when staying in the luxury area of the ship. 

We are just off this sailing. I will confirm that the haven bar staff and the haven bar waiters are overworked due to being understaffed. We ordered a wrap that didn't come after 1 hour and had to reorder. We waited and waited and waited for the usual order of 1 champagne and 1 water. Was served with a glass with lipstick on it. Waited up on the sundeck on a port day for a glass of ice that was told 2 times was coming, and it never came. We shared our experiences with anurag, asst concierge and told him we felt it was due to understaffing. (we only relayed experience and did not mention names)

Edited by cruisebeachgirl703
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2023 at 6:30 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Been up since 430 when the thrusters started vibrating the ship! This can only mean it's DISembarkation day. I don't like it! Indont like it at all. 

Who's going to bring me coffee? Make my bed? Cook my food and wash the dishes? Argh! Vacuum the multitude of little hairs that spring off my dogs and cat? And, clean up their mud? 

Me? Yup, I don't like it!

20230325_062724.thumb.jpg.3c6e80252bb2df0ed25e8c33ed4dc0bf.jpg

Anyway, here's Carnival Sunrise passing us by in the Port of Miami. A bit more quietly than Horizon went by!

20230325_061449.thumb.jpg.9e96ecff8b3cd5d52d1a83392769add0.jpg

Can you tell me what time self debark started? Hopefully it was around 7-7:30. Have a 10am flight a know we are pushing it but I think we will be fine if we can self debark by 7:30-8. 

thanks

2 hours ago, trd2005 said:

Can you tell me what time self debark started? Hopefully it was around 7-7:30. Have a 10am flight a know we are pushing it but I think we will be fine if we can self debark by 7:30-8. 

thanks

I think it was just about 7:30 when they announced it. Be sure to get there early. We chose not to carry our bags because we weren't in a rush. We went down as soon as our color was called and stood in line for about 90 minutes to get off the ship. I've never seen anything like it. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, trd2005 said:

thanks

@dcgrumpy is correct. Self debark began at 7:30. Transfers started at 8 and I have no idea when they started calling other luggage tags. 

We had a NCL transfer. Thankfully I knew we could choose self debark even though the letter and both concierges told us we needed to wait until the transfer color was called. I wasn't doing that as we had an 11:30 flight. Originally it was 12:03, but we chose an alternate flight based on the delay that occurred. 

No issues for us getting off. In under 10 minutes we went from Haven Lounge to transfer bus. Momentary pause at the security station for facial recognition, then off we went. 

Couple factors for us, 1) Haven guests are whisked by elevator to the debark area. Other guests need to wait in line. 2) We refused to believe in the transfer process getting us on the first bus. We still waited 30 minutes for the bus to fill before leaving. 

We arrived at FLL at 9:45. Giant line inside for Delta check-in. We took our bags curbside where we waited for ten minutes to check the bags. I can't imagine how long folks waited inside. 

I have TSA Precheck so went through security in about ten minutes. My husband took about 15 through normal security lines. I'm saying all this, just to let you know you need to be first in line to self debark and you'll be in better shape if you're not using NCL transfer, which indont think you with a 10 AM flight. Also, if you're flying from Miami, even better! 

I did hear from others that debark was a cluster, but that had to have happened long after we went through as our experience was a breeze. 

• Like 1

Cozumel (Worthless) Shopping Guide - given our nine hour excursion, we had no time to go shopping anyway. Oh darn, said not us!

We did receive a Roatan Shopping Guide, but I have no idea where it went, so no photos. Sorry!

20230324_201316.thumb.jpg.060a13412f779780370d7c1d777d6205.jpg

20230324_201328.thumb.jpg.7f374bf88610ee9af98f712e33ea1a46.jpg

20230324_201334.thumb.jpg.0e30f5f72ee1555ac9698b8c5882b161.jpg

20230324_201345.thumb.jpg.93ddfc77e4d9babf7a4688e8193a5d53.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We received port fees back from NCL while on onboard...at least I think it's port fees for having missed Costa Maya (we were notified well in advance we wouldn't be landing ashore). I think it's great NCL refunded the charges to us. I wish there were a wee bit more clarity around what they're for, so we can settle the "does NCL refund port fees or not" daily topic. I'm going to go with, yes, yes they do.

See the "Refundable Onboard Credit" of $16.50. That's what I suspect is the port fee being refunded. It's also the day we were scheduled to invade Costa Maya.

image.png.022734a8c06ce35ca7278af3c00110a8.png

On 3/27/2023 at 7:38 AM, cruiseny4life said:

@dcgrumpy is correct. Self debark began at 7:30. Transfers started at 8 and I have no idea when they started calling other luggage tags. 

We had a NCL transfer. Thankfully I knew we could choose self debark even though the letter and both concierges told us we needed to wait until the transfer color was called. I wasn't doing that as we had an 11:30 flight. Originally it was 12:03, but we chose an alternate flight based on the delay that occurred. 

No issues for us getting off. In under 10 minutes we went from Haven Lounge to transfer bus. Momentary pause at the security station for facial recognition, then off we went. 

Couple factors for us, 1) Haven guests are whisked by elevator to the debark area. Other guests need to wait in line. 2) We refused to believe in the transfer process getting us on the first bus. We still waited 30 minutes for the bus to fill before leaving. 

We arrived at FLL at 9:45. Giant line inside for Delta check-in. We took our bags curbside where we waited for ten minutes to check the bags. I can't imagine how long folks waited inside. 

I have TSA Precheck so went through security in about ten minutes. My husband took about 15 through normal security lines. I'm saying all this, just to let you know you need to be first in line to self debark and you'll be in better shape if you're not using NCL transfer, which indont think you with a 10 AM flight. Also, if you're flying from Miami, even better! 

I did hear from others that debark was a cluster, but that had to have happened long after we went through as our experience was a breeze. 

Thank you, this is very helpful!  Not using NCL for transfers, was just going to use a taxi.  We are flying out of Miami, we have TSA Precheck and Clear Membership so hoping we can move through security quickly.  We will plan to be first in line, lining up around 7am to get off as quickly as we can.  Sailing this Sat 4/1 so our return flight on 4/8...Easter weekend, hoping that does not add to more delays.  

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 10:01 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Here's our room! 

20230318_144321.thumb.jpg.a10765c0de346a99b326325db84c7103.jpg

20230318_144326.thumb.jpg.c9c051db6de7be83480f7aab54f1b4d9.jpg

20230318_144332.thumb.jpg.510f791d8b5e287dbacc4c2a954a1b15.jpg

20230318_144358.thumb.jpg.5d83e55ccd4e0b3b94c1cfe639910fca.jpg

20230318_144406.thumb.jpg.12dfba69305eb13c6e78615b00e91e02.jpg

20230318_144442(0).thumb.jpg.8f2762fdfb6d17ca4848f0b843092205.jpg

We requested the lounger, so don't expect it unless you ask your steward or pre-cruise concierge.

Welcome back and it looks like you had a fabulous cruise! What was your go to bar or hang out area on the ship other than the Haven at night.

Thank you SO SO much for the pictures! I will also be requesting a lounge chair and didn't realize the cabin was as big as it is! The cabins in the Haven Courtyard (regular balconies) are much smaller and so are the balconies. I will show this to my hubby tonight.

Thank you again!

• Like 1

Work has actually kept me busy during most of the three days I've been here. Plus I'm battling a cold. Three COVID tests and no second line, so pretty sure it's just a cold with a heck of a cough. 

I swear I'm going to get back and update this thread. Today I did use my free time (at work) to catch up on all the Cruise Critic posts I missed. I'm sure I missed a few. Hopefully the meetings, misbehaving employees, and phone calls start to cease tomorrow so I can do the important work of updating you all on my voyage! 

• Like 5

On 3/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, js said:

Welcome back and it looks like you had a fabulous cruise! What was your go to bar or hang out area on the ship other than the Haven at night.

I'm saving my answer to this for a well thought out post. I'll get there! Someday....I hope. 

• Haha 1

Think I may have mentioned this already, but a good non-Haven bar on Joy is Maltings. The female bartender there is the wife of one of the Haven bartenders. Both are a lot of fun and well loved by guests. 

I have a new appreciation for the Sugarcane bar as well. The coco mojito was super refreshing and went down quick, plus there's the bonus sail & sustain bar just outside to check in and see what special of the day they have going.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 12:31 AM, BrownEyedGirl686 said:

If you don’t mind me asking what did you get at the beauty salon/spa?   I’m looking to treat myself to a blowout on the cruise— just curious about price. 

On embarkation day we always attend the spa's 5 PM'ish raffle for gift certificates. They give out $500 total in $75, $100, $150 increments (maybe it differs based on ship). Anyway, at the end there is a "manager's special" for the losers. We're always the losers. Haven't won a gift certificate yet, but the offer is pretty good.

We received a 75 minute treatment for each of us for $149, plus 20% gratuity since we booked for the first sea day, immediately after the raffle. Otherwise it would have been $179, plus 20%. The treatment consisted of a full body massage, some sort of fancy eye treatment that consisted of three swipes of some substance under our eyes.

Otherwise, you're paying $299, plus 20% for a massage.The manager's special is the only way we would ever book a treatment onboard. Spa prices are ridiculous. There's some price lists floating around on other lives, but I haven't taken a photo of them (sorry).

I've had three massages on NCL, all because of the manager's special. The one I had on Joy was absolutely amazing. I have never fallen asleep and this massage caused me to sleep for about two minutes, but I was definitely asleep. Portia was phenomenal!

• Like 2

So....the topic of bars:

I got nothing y'all. I had no more than 15 - 20 drinks. Five of them were at Teppanyaki. They were very good! Rowen, also the "Washy, Washy" singer in the buffet made sure I was happy, as I previously reported.

The rest were all from the Haven. I've made my thoughts known about Joy's Haven bar, so won't bore you with this again. I did have one mudslide on the Haven Sundeck. It was yummy! I highly suggest. Otherwise, I stuck to Grey Goose, club soda, and a splash of cranberry.

That's all I can really say about the bars.

20230324_114907.thumb.jpg.61150f1e1b74a25af2a884627cc3c954.jpg

Ignore the flippie floppies.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

So....the topic of bars:

I got nothing y'all. I had no more than 15 - 20 drinks. Five of them were at Teppanyaki. They were very good! Rowen, also the "Washy, Washy" singer in the buffet made sure I was happy, as I previously reported.

The rest were all from the Haven. I've made my thoughts known about Joy's Haven bar, so won't bore you with this again. I did have one mudslide on the Haven Sundeck. It was yummy! I highly suggest. Otherwise, I stuck to Grey Goose, club soda, and a splash of cranberry.

That's all I can really say about the bars.

20230324_114907.thumb.jpg.61150f1e1b74a25af2a884627cc3c954.jpg

Ignore the flippie floppies.

I see you were able to snag a cabana!    

• Like 1

Joy has no thermal suite!!!!!! This was our biggest concern going into the cruise. Of course we knew there was no thermal suite before booking. The itinerary is what we wanted. And, we preferred Miami to New Orleans, plus we wanted to explore a new ship and Breakaway is similar enough to our triple ridden Getaway.

20220419_194956.thumb.jpg.5cf23e3b3edbe1cb00cd4c4c082981c9.jpg

20220911_193002.thumb.jpg.d3d0bb52221033cf0e3b5cdd09603698.jpg

20220911_194312.thumb.jpg.aa982be695d102397d9396fb85fa3526.jpg

Our entire sea day existence is to soak up the heat, humidity, and water of the thermal suite. Those heated ceramic loungers, that large pool with powerful jets that cause people to shriek (in delight) when it hits certain body areas, and the sauna are where we park ourselves for hours. Even resting our poor muscles on port days in the thermal suite is our desire. Well, what would Joy have that we could do?

There were some hints. @vacation44, really hinted hard about the Haven Sundeck on Joy. Honestly, I kind of smiled and said, "sure, I'll try it out...for like five minutes" before I retreat back to air conditioning and the enclosed Haven Courtyard. As you can see below, I did enjoy the courtyard's hot tub. All alone. On embarkation day. My husband was up on the sundeck enjoying the sun. I just figured I'd hate so enjoyed this puppy for about two hours before dinner.

20230318_140256.thumb.jpg.e375b456725d72443e9949f8a8edc6ae.jpg

Well, I won't bury the lede anymore! The Joy's Haven Sundeck is a miracle in human shipbuilding. It is perfection! Give me the sundeck over the thermal suite any, and every, day! We absolutely adored the sundeck.

After our first dinner in the Haven, we enjoyed the hot tubs on that beautiful 19th deck. It was a bit chilly and windy, but that didn't matter. We enjoyed conversation amongst each other, watched a beautiful Gulf of Mexico sunset, and watched as we passed Celebrity Apex, and a bunch of container ships. It was a lovely evening in the tub. Only two other couples came up to the sundeck for a smoke. They didn't bother us. We didn't bother them. It was beautiful!

image.thumb.png.67c610174b7300d7402a5a7600c3afe7.png

(I've been told not to post his face....so he's a nice blur hiding in the hot tub.)

Throughout the week we wandered up to the sundeck, grabbed a cabana, and soaked up rays of the sun and lots and lots of hot tub water. NCL, can you please warm the pools up slightly? Just a degree or two. Pleeeeeeease? The only downside. The hot tubs are not really that warm. At night *such as the one pictured above, it wasn't cold, but we would have preferred a little more warm water).

My husband likes to wake up early, which means he was able to chair hog us a cabana. Eventually, I'd wander up to find him and we'd just relax away in the cabana for most of the day. During quiet times, we'd jump in the hot tub.

There were definitely some hot tub hogs! They would order a bucket of beer, then more beer, then ice, and more beer. Three hours later the loudmouths from Arkansas, Long Island, and other places would leave. I'm not angry with them as I would often sit in the hot tub for a couple hours too. I just didn't talk as loudly as I could and I sure didn't pee in the tub. I'm guessing they must have given how long they spent in the hot tubs, drinking copious amounts of crappy Bud Light and Corona. When you can order practically anything, why would you drink these? Millennials, gosh!

I did order a few drinks on the sundeck. All but one time it took at least twenty minutes to get the drink. Once, it took more than 45 minutes. I don't blame the servers one bit. They were working! They were working hard! Much too hard. Same with the bartenders. I know I've covered this before, so I won't go into a lot of detail, other than to say a lot of other guests were experiencing very long waits for drinks too. They were much more vocal than I, but one time my husband gave up. He left and I then drank his (ice water) with my Grey Goose. This was one of those twenty minute waits. NCL really needs to adjust staffing in the Haven, when it comes to drink service. It's quite pathetic. The only people that get their drinks in a timely manner are those that sit themselves at the bar, keeping everyone else from easily being able to order a drink. NCL...please get rid of seats at the bar (yep, I'm in a mood today, reliving my drink ordering/receiving experience).

Here's a good comparison of the Haven sundeck versus the main pool deck. These photos were taken on a sea day, minutes apart.

First, a mass of humanity:

20230324_153741.thumb.jpg.5b85af20ad96504f1269703a83e4ae9c.jpg

Second, the wondrous oasis that is Haven (from a cabana):

20230324_172816.thumb.jpg.048a0f50942a4ecf823fce3c9c09c66e.jpg

Here's what I never, ever, like ever expected to conclude. I would sail a ship without the thermal suite, before sailing on a ship without a Haven Sundeck like this. Getaway's sundeck is nothing, compared to this. It's comfy, but there's no hot tubs up on top. It's really, really sad. Now, on a cold weather cruise, I might choose that thermal suite over the sundeck, but certainly not on a Bahamas/Caribbean/Mediterranean cruise!

Of course a ship with both would be even more ideal. Looking at you Bliss! @vacation44, you were so right. I LOVE the sundeck on Joy!!! The faceless husband does too.

• Like 3