Striking Out to New Turf – A Joy(ful) Live – 3/18 – 3/25, Western Caribbean

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from cruiseny4life! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

cruiseny4life was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

image.png.8548893ff4ee474b377c93a55974be24.png

Source: https://tenor.com/view/celebrate-good-times-come-on-gif-19620935

Let’s be JOYful!

In just a few days, I’ll be stepping on NCL’s Joy cruise ship for a fun-filled week of activity in Mexico, Honduras, and Belize. Even better, March 17th is my birthday.  I’m flying to Miami a day ahead of my cruise, on my birthday. For a cruise, y’all! For a cruise! A birthday cruise! What a way to celebrate a new decade of life...not that I’m exactly happy about the number, but hey it means I’m a survivor and made it through some ridiculous moments in my 0s, teens, twenties, and thirties! Cue, “Survivor!”

Wishin' you the best, pray that you are blessed
Much success, no stress, and lots of happiness
(I'm better than that) I'm not gon' blast you on the radio
(I'm better than that) I'm not gon' lie on you and your family, oh
(I'm better than that) I'm not gon' hate on you in the magazines
(I'm better than that) I'm not gon' compromise my Christianity
(I'm better than that) you know I'm not gon' dis you on the internet
'Cause my momma thought me better than that!

Here’s the video, if you wanna rock out!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 8

7 Things You Didn't Know About Norwegian Joy

Source: https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/things-you-didnt-know-about-norwegian-joy

It’s live time! More like, preparation and angst-ridden waiting time, time! We’re also in the middle of two slight snowstorms. The one we had earlier this week is over and the snow almost melted. Supposedly we’re going to have another storm starting today or tomorrow. I’m a little foggy on the timeline as I’m more of a look out the window and see what’s it’s doing kind of guy. This bothers my friend that works at The Weather Channel, so he pesters me with storm maps all the time. It’s kind of like having my own favorite (annoying) weatherman that is generally wrong. That’s why I prefer the look out the window method. It’s never been wrong!

For Central NY, a few inches isn’t much, but it sure makes the property look pretty. And, my two Goldens enjoy it. The older hound mixes went inside long before these photos were snapped. They’re originally from Kanab, Utah, so lounging in the sand and in the sun is more their way of life. Instead, they were rescued by me and snatched away to Yellowstone where we lived for nearly five years before my husband kindly married  me, then demanded civilization. 94 miles to Starbucks was too far. Hence, we’re back in New York. For reference, Starbucks is now about 20 miles away.

image.png.0f432eb066b8c5ab0560d2e6ddcc9fd0.png

image.png.941c3456482b82a97e925db0dff94a4c.png

On check-in day I checked myself in to nab an early port arrival time. We don’t have check-in completed though. My husband won’t be doing it today. Or tomorrow. Why? Well, it’s exciting, but kind of a vomit-inducing reason. My husband is currently a permanent green card holder…with an appointment on March 9th to become a US citizen at a naturalization oath ceremony. Of course, the government takes away his permanent ID card at this time and gives him a piece of paper showing that he’s a US citizen. Great! But, it’s not a passport.

image.png.b578bea8fced8e4db33150545dc590fa.png

We’ve done quite a lot of research on expedited passports. It appears we will be able to get him one before we cruise on March 18th (flying out on March 17th). I’m going to document this process here in case anyone else ever finds themselves in our fortunate (but stressful) position. YEEEEEEHAW! Nothing great is ever easy, right?

Did I also mention he decided to change his last name to my last name? All of his documents will need to be updated with the naturalization certificate and then our airline tickets will need to be changed, along with the last name at NCL. At least this can all be done after March 9th…with enough patience and cash (the fees are stupid ridiculous).

Thus far, we have done some research, called the State Department, and been told to hold off until March 6th. On March 6th, he’s to call the State Department to schedule a visit to the Passport Agency in NYC. Looks like an impromptu visit to the Big Apple is his cards. I’ll probably see if I can take the day off to enjoy a day trip to the city. Who doesn’t enjoy a day down there? If I go, I’ll be sure to document the trip and process (if they let me in the building). If not, I’ll ask my husband a bunch of questions to understand the process and relay it to everyone.

Word to those that appreciate the easy way – don’t fall in love with a foreigner. Especially one from Russia. But, my heart chose, not my brain, so here we are!

Now that's out of the way! Here's the cruise itinerary. We'll be leaving from Miami on March 18th, returning (sadly) to Miami on March 25th.

image.png.6226d55804fcf38cc36d525d892bfe75.png

After this cruise, we don’t have any additional cruises booked. As mentioned in other places, I did get the Alaska 20%/50% coupons which is really, really tempting us! The deluxe owner’s suite is only $7,500 and that includes airfare and platinum travel protection but would require us to sail on the Jewel which is an older ship. I’m not sure how we feel about that. Anyway, maybe we’ll book. Maybe we won’t. I don’t know yet. We’re also supposed to head to Hawaii next year for a land-based vacation. Cruising Hawaii is not our idea of traveling well.

That’s the intro! For your reading pleasure, feel free to peruse my previous lives and review.

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 12

Looking forward to your live review on Joy.

We were supposed to sail this itinerary in January, 2022, but our sailing was cancelled 2 days before we were supposed to leave for Miami. Such a bummer. We were looking forward to sailing Joy with less than 50% capacity and with an itinerary that was mostly new to us.

We rebooked Joy for June 26th of 2022 but that sailing was out of NYC, with a 3 day stay in Bermuda and the ship was near 100% capacity.

We thought Joy was terrific and we've always loved the Bermuda sailings. After previously sailing on Escape and Encore, Joy was kind of a mix of those 2. For example, Escape had Spice but no OL. Encore had OL, but no Spice. Joy had both and my crew liked that. Joy had good food, good service and exceptional entertainment. The only real downside to last years sailing was the abundance of jellyfish at Horseshoe Bay that basically shut down the beach.

We enjoyed Joy so much, that we allowed our niece and nephew to talk us into joining them in July on the same sailing. I see some babysitting in mine and my wifes  future as they have a 1 year old and a 5 year old. LOL! 

Anyway, enjoy your sailing and, hopefully, your experience is everything it should be.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I just realized it's only the 3rd.   I'll be back in two weeks.    lol

I don't blame you! I've been wanting to start since about day 50...I kept it at bay for quite awhile...the real fun does start in 14 days from today with flights to Miami.

29 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Following... with hopes that everything goes well along the way!

Thanks! It'll be quite the experience. And, for more than all the normal cruise jitters. I have to decide if I'm going to go without him. Can I really live with those consequences? 🥰

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

For reference, Starbucks is now about 20 miles away.

I thought your husband demanded civilization. 😉 

It’s kind of like having my own favorite (annoying) weatherman that is generally wrong

And boy have they been wrong for these past few storms.  At least they have been over here in New England, not sure about central NY.

• Haha 1

Let’s be JOYful!

In just a few days, I’ll be stepping on NCL’s Joy cruise ship for a fun-filled week of activity in Mexico, Honduras, and Belize. Even better, March 17th is my birthday.  I’m flying to Miami a day ahead of my cruise, on my birthday. For a cruise, y’all! For a cruise! A birthday cruise! What a way to celebrate a new decade of life...not that I’m exactly happy about the number, but hey it means I’m a survivor and made it through some ridiculous moments in my 0s, teens, twenties, and thirties! Cue, “Survivor!”

Have a great cruise! Its too bad NCL does not go to Belize City anymore. I was there twice when they would tender and had a great time

• Like 1

Woohoo - this board is on a (drum) roll and aren't you excited with the Joy 😉 😊 😄 until rest of us can get back onboard again ... going to be another wonderful virtual cruising for CC addicts here.  Hopefully, it won't be as crowded as some of the ones last month during school breaks - it's the new normal.  Bring that positivity spirit and energy, enough of the negative chats lately, diffuse those with humor and fun.  Going to follow along 😁

• Like 1

Looking forward to your fun-filled live review of your joyful spring break cruise. I have held off cruising on the Joy because it does not have the thermal suite spa, which is where I hide, but I can be swayed.

So very pleased your husband is thisclose to becoming a US citizen. I am somewhat stressed thinking about all that you have to do prior to the cruise but shall send all my positive energy your way.

6 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I have held off cruising on the Joy because it does not have the thermal suite spa, which is where I hide, but I can be swayed.

It's one of the oddities of Joy because it was built for the Asian market.

There's lots of little things too, but the biggest, besides the thermal spa, is the pool area.

The layout will have you do a double take, with the pools being off to the side of the pool deck and the very large canopies on deck 17 right above it.

Search for video of the Joy pool area from before it's renovation in 2019. It's really interesting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rainmakerjjo said:

We will be on the Joy on April 1, similar itinerary but ours was recently updated to include GSC.  Looks like you have 3 sea days vs 2 for us.  

Also sailing April 1…I’ll be watching this also. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

Looking forward to your live review on Joy.

We were supposed to sail this itinerary in January, 2022, but our sailing was cancelled 2 days before we were supposed to leave for Miami. Such a bummer. We were looking forward to sailing Joy with less than 50% capacity and with an itinerary that was mostly new to us.

We rebooked Joy for June 26th of 2022 but that sailing was out of NYC, with a 3 day stay in Bermuda and the ship was near 100% capacity.

We thought Joy was terrific and we've always loved the Bermuda sailings. After previously sailing on Escape and Encore, Joy was kind of a mix of those 2. For example, Escape had Spice but no OL. Encore had OL, but no Spice. Joy had both and my crew liked that. Joy had good food, good service and exceptional entertainment. The only real downside to last years sailing was the abundance of jellyfish at Horseshoe Bay that basically shut down the beach.

We enjoyed Joy so much, that we allowed our niece and nephew to talk us into joining them in July on the same sailing. I see some babysitting in mine and my wifes  future as they have a 1 year old and a 5 year old. LOL! 

Anyway, enjoy your sailing and, hopefully, your experience is everything it should be.

The only part about the Joy I'm unhappy with is that there is no thermal suite. I'm assuaging my feelings by telling myself we'll be in Central America where it is far too hot to be cloaked in the warm embrace of the thermal suite! You can bet I'll be a hot tub hog on this trip. I've been known to sit in those things for three hours. Yes, I hold my bladder! I'd prefer not to tint the water a yellowish color. 

I'm sorry about the jellyfish you encountered at Horseshoe Bay. When we were in Bermuda last April there was a Portuguese Man 'o' War warning. Thankfully we didn't encounter any when we dipped in the water at Tobacco Bay (for a moment) and Clearwater Beach (for more than a moment). 

I bet it was oh so hard for your niece and nephew to talk you into that July sailing. I hope you have a triumphant, jellyfish-free return to Bermuda! We've tried on two additional cruises to get to Bermuda, but have been barred from entering due to port changes at the last moment. Probably because Bermuda didn't want to deal with us again! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

There's lots of little things too, but the biggest, besides the thermal spa, is the pool area.

The layout will have you do a double take, with the pools being off to the side of the pool deck and the very large canopies on deck 17 right above it.

Search for video of the Joy pool area from before it's renovation in 2019. It's really interesting.

Just saw pics of the current pool layout on the Joy...that is interesting. I would actually prefer sitting under the Deck 17 canopies. Though I have not yet been able to see pics of the pool deck area prior to 2019, the description does sound interesting indeed.

32 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Which I always thought was strange because the Asian market has the most of the most amount of spa's

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

I thought your husband demanded civilization. 😉 

And boy have they been wrong for these past few storms.  At least they have been over here in New England, not sure about central NY.

We compromised!! 

Supposedly ten'ish inches of snow coming our way tonight. I'll know, once the storm is over. 🙄

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Have a great cruise! Its too bad NCL does not go to Belize City anymore. I was there twice when they would tender and had a great time

Thank you! Yes, we'd prefer Belize City too. We are leaving Harvest Caye to tour some Mayan ruins and go to the spice farm. It's a NCL excursion, so I suppose one of those charter buses. But, we get to see ruins and I enjoy a good agriculture tour. 

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Woohoo - this board is on a (drum) roll and aren't you excited with the Joy 😉 😊 😄 until rest of us can get back onboard again ... going to be another wonderful virtual cruising for CC addicts here.  Hopefully, it won't be as crowded as some of the ones last month during school breaks - it's the new normal.  Bring that positivity spirit and energy, enough of the negative chats lately, diffuse those with humor and fun.  Going to follow along 😁

I'm absolutely bringing the positive vibes along on this cruise! I know everything won't be perfect, but I sure do enjoy a Norwegian cruise. I think that'll continue! I definitely follow along on other's lives to get those other conversations out of my head. And yes, I know I'm one of the slightly (is that accurate, haha) negative nellies on this board. But not when it comes to the actual cruise experience! I so cannot wait...if you couldn't tell!! 

1 hour ago, rainmakerjjo said:

We will be on the Joy on April 1, similar itinerary but ours was recently updated to include GSC.  Looks like you have 3 sea days vs 2 for us.  

That's great! We both love Great Stirrup Cay! 

We originally had two sea days, but Costa Maya was canceled (just after final payment) due to "port congestion." I absolutely love sea days so I'm right here for a lazy day on the ship. 

49 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Looking forward to your fun-filled live review of your joyful spring break cruise. I have held off cruising on the Joy because it does not have the thermal suite spa, which is where I hide, but I can be swayed.

So very pleased your husband is thisclose to becoming a US citizen. I am somewhat stressed thinking about all that you have to do prior to the cruise but shall send all my positive energy your way.

Just a wee bit to do! He called today, but was told no luck. Try back Monday. BUT, he confirmed the agency will print his passport on the same day as his appointment, so I think we're going to be in good shape! 

Yes, I love the thermal suite as well. We originally had booked Escape. Tl:dr - prior to final payment the entire itinerary was changed from Mexico/Belize/Honduras to Dominican Republic/St. Thomas/Tortola/Great Stirrup Cay. We wanted to hit the Mayan ruins, plus the British Virgin Islands are much more difficult for a Russian citizen to visit due to Putin's war, so we went with Joy and our original itinerary (that was so not a Tl:dr). 

23 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Also sailing April 1…I’ll be watching this also. 

Glad to have you here for the ride!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 3

Just now, Laszlo said:

Which I always thought was strange because the Asian market has the most of the most amount of spa's

That was my thought too. Many Asian families in the New York and California areas spend time together at the spas on weekends. I always saw many spas in China, South Korea and Japan.

• Like 1

I think I can post this. I'm not quite sure. Danny Harr...I seriously have a crush on the guy (you know, like he's a cool person I could see myself hangin' with kind of crush) has a great Joy tour. 

Here is the full ship tour that I've watched three times:

And the Haven tour which I've watched more than three times:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

The only part about the Joy I'm unhappy with is that there is no thermal suite. I'm assuaging my feelings by telling myself we'll be in Central America where it is far too hot to be cloaked in the warm embrace of the thermal suite! You can bet I'll be a hot tub hog on this trip. I've been known to sit in those things for three hours. Yes, I hold my bladder! I'd prefer not to tint the water a yellowish color. 

I'm sorry about the jellyfish you encountered at Horseshoe Bay. When we were in Bermuda last April there was a Portuguese Man 'o' War warning. Thankfully we didn't encounter any when we dipped in the water at Tobacco Bay (for a moment) and Clearwater Beach (for more than a moment). 

I bet it was oh so hard for your niece and nephew to talk you into that July sailing. I hope you have a triumphant, jellyfish-free return to Bermuda! We've tried on two additional cruises to get to Bermuda, but have been barred from entering due to port changes at the last moment. Probably because Bermuda didn't want to deal with us again! 

Actually, you're right. I'm using the general term of jellyfish, but it was Man 'o' War, and it caused them to remove everyone from the water at around 1pm. We saw people getting stung and were told that upwards of 100 people got stung the day we were  there. And it was a gorgeous day too. They are really hard to see as they have clear bodies and they float at the top with their tenticles below the surface.

And yes, my niece and nephew did twist our arms. Lmao!!!!

As I said, they will be expecting some dinnertime and late night babysitting from their favorite Aunt and Uncle. And we're ok with that. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

That was my thought too. Many Asian families in the New York and California areas spend time together at the spas on weekends. I always saw many spas in China, South Korea and Japan.

Before the refurb there was something like 15 karaoke rooms too that have since been replaced.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bkrickles1 said:

Actually, you're right. I'm using the general term of jellyfish, but it was Man 'o' War, and it caused them to remove everyone from the water at around 1pm. We saw people getting stung and were told that upwards of 100 people got stung the day we were  there. And it was a gorgeous day too. They are really hard to see as they have clear bodies and they float at the top with their tenticles below the surface.

And yes, my niece and nephew did twist our arms. Lmao!!!!

As I said, they will be expecting some dinnertime and late night babysitting from their favorite Aunt and Uncle. And we're ok with that. Lol.

Last year the Man o War also invaded the South Florida beaches. They looked like blue and purple prophylactics. Not as many this year so far.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

image.png.8548893ff4ee474b377c93a55974be24.png

Let’s be JOYful!

Wishin' you the best, pray that you are blessed
Much success, no stress, and lots of happiness
(I'm better than that) I'm not gon' blast you on the radio
(I'm better than that) I'm not gon' lie on you and your family, oh
(I'm better than that) I'm not gon' hate on you in the magazines
(I'm better than that) I'm not gon' compromise my Christianity
(I'm better than that) you know I'm not gon' dis you on the internet
'Cause my momma thought me better than that!

18 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We will be on the Epic while you are reporting live on the Joy so I will have to catch up when we return.    But, I am really looking forward to reading your comments on the Joy especially what you think of the Joy Haven sundeck compared to the Getaway Haven sundeck.   And most importantly.....if you received your water!  Have a fantastic trip.

• Like 1

Looking forward to your report. I'm on the same cruise.  One of the people we're traveling with is also waiting for a passport and was told the same thing about the 6th. Maybe you'll see them at the NYC passport office. 

Edited by dcgrumpy
  • Like 2

If you're worried about the passports, do try reaching out to your US congressperson's office. They were able to help us get visas expedited, and I know they do passports too.

Edited by dcipjr