Striking Out to New Turf – A Joy(ful) Live – 3/18 – 3/25, Western Caribbean

16 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Today was an inspiring day. My husband participated in a Naturalization Ceremony as he became one of the fifty newest United States citizens! Several times throughout the ceremony, I wanted to cry. I didn't. I held it in! It was just inspiring and obviously exciting to see five years of work (and lots of fees) pay off. It was especially hell'ish for a LGBT couple who were hearing heated rhetoric about us gays and immigration. There were a lot of nerve wracking days until 2021. 

There were fifty new citizens representing 27 countries around the world. Did you know the United States still calls Burma, Burma? Not Myanmar? Me either!

But, now, in a courtroom where the judge quoted his hero, the late Robert F. Kennedy, the process became complete. While others were still receiving their certificates of naturalization, I was combing through my husband's certificate and court order to ensure his name was spelled correctly everywhere. I'm happy to report that everything was perfect! 

On to Norwegian Cruise Lines. I just confirmed my husband's phone call to NCL was successful. His name is changed on our cruise. Yay! And only for the mere sum of $150. I know NCL. That they're money grubbers, so expected the fee. He, however, did not expect it and I believe his words when he found out were something along the lines of "smother truckers." So thank you Norwegian for making a wonderful day feel not quite so wonderful. But, at least it's done! 

Congratulations to your husband (and you too)!

Is your husband listed as passenger 1?   I thought you could change the name for passenger 2 free of charge up into a few days before the cruise.    

3 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Congratulations to your husband (and you too)!

Is your husband listed as passenger 1?   I thought you could change the name for passenger 2 free of charge up into a few days before the cruise.    

Thank you!

He's passenger one. I did have to change the name of passenger two on someone's cruise. The only reason this change didn't incur a fee is because I needed to add "Jr." to the reservation. The agent said if I was changing the name, it would incur a fee. I dunno, you could be right too. It would be nice if it were spelled out somewhere we normal people could find it. I like terms and conditions. Make them easily available, please!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I wanted to cry. I

Well, you made me tear up!  What a tremendous day for both of you.  Not only that DH is a US Citizen, but you now share your last name. 🥰  Next up…the passport!!  What a wonderful celebration cruise you’ll have with the “smother truckers” 🤣

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Well, you made me tear up!  What a tremendous day for both of you.  Not only that DH is a US Citizen, but you now share your last name. 🥰  Next up…the passport!!  What a wonderful celebration cruise you’ll have with the “smother truckers” 🤣

Oh, I was on the verge of losing it! The tears were a'welling in the old eye balls. I had to stop looking at my husband or else I would have just been a happy, joyous wreck! 

• Like 7

One week from today, we'll be jumping on the first of two Delta flights as we make our way to Miami. It's been a few years since I flew Delta, so here's hoping to a decent flight with more comfortable seats than American Airlines. We weren't really sure if our flights would be to Miami or Fort Lauderdale, since NCL doesn't book flights until close to the cruise. In our case, we are flying in to Fort Lauderdale. That's fine. My husband enjoys Georgian food and there's an excellent Georgian restaurant halfway between the Fort Lauderdale airport and our hotel. 

We'll be staying at the Dunns Josephine Hotel in what I believe is the "Town Square" neighborhood of Miami. The hotel is owned by Miami local Kristin Kitchen, a community oriented lady who's hotels focus on the history and culture of African Americans, so we're happy about supporting her, rather than a large hotel chain! There are 15 rooms in this boutique hotel and each one is dedicated to a different legend of the Miami and Harlem Renaissance. Names like Marcus Garvey, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, and Duke Ellington are mentioned on the website.

The hotel's tagline appears to be, "Leave the beaten path and occasionally dive into heritage. Follow that path, explore around its corners as it welcomes you in." What a perfect start to a cruise to nations I haven't been to, although I'll be the first to admit we won't really be leaving the tourist path in each of the ports we're heading to on this trip.

Here's a few images from the hotel's website. I'm really excited about trying out this lovely hotel. 

image.thumb.png.916027556104c147fb9b01fa239f46d3.png

Source: dunns-josephinehotel.com

image.thumb.png.5107dcdab97aa5455985c81a39c5d116.png

Source: dunns-josephinehotel.com

image.thumb.png.2c372c972a65f6a8ccdf4461b195b860.png

Source: Google Maps

image.thumb.png.dc936d367d0c592b90daaeb82b9ad222.png

Source: Google Maps

The Dunns Josephine Hotel is only a few blocks from the cruise port. It looks like we can walk about five blocks to jump on the free Miami trolley to access the NCL terminal. No Uber, no taxi, just good ole public transportation in the soul of Miami! 

Here's the website if you're interested in checking out the hotel: dunns-josephinehotel.com

I'll be sure to leave a review of the hotel and our experience when we're in Miami. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Today was an inspiring day. My husband participated in a Naturalization Ceremony as he became one of the fifty newest United States citizens! Several times throughout the ceremony, I wanted to cry. I didn't. I held it in! It was just inspiring and obviously exciting to see five years of work (and lots of fees) pay off. It was especially hell'ish for a LGBT couple who were hearing heated rhetoric about us gays and immigration. There were a lot of nerve wracking days until 2021. 

There were fifty new citizens representing 27 countries around the world. Did you know the United States still calls Burma, Burma? Not Myanmar? Me either!

But, now, in a courtroom where the judge quoted his hero, the late Robert F. Kennedy, the process became complete. While others were still receiving their certificates of naturalization, I was combing through my husband's certificate and court order to ensure his name was spelled correctly everywhere. I'm happy to report that everything was perfect! 

On to Norwegian Cruise Lines. I just confirmed my husband's phone call to NCL was successful. His name is changed on our cruise. Yay! And only for the mere sum of $150. I know NCL. That they're money grubbers, so expected the fee. He, however, did not expect it and I believe his words when he found out were something along the lines of "smother truckers." So thank you Norwegian for making a wonderful day feel not quite so wonderful. But, at least it's done! 

Congratulations to you and your husband and thanks for this inspiring post! Somehow I missed the start of this thread but happily I am here now!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Congratulations to you and your husband and thanks for this inspiring post! Somehow I missed the start of this thread but happily I am here now!

Thank you! I'm so glad you're here now.

We were Rochestarians for about three years. I worked on Chili Ave., then downtown on Andrews St. We lived up in Greece though. I don't really want to call myself a Greecer (sounds a bit ugly). So, hello to you in not-so-snowy Rochester! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

We were Rochestarians for about three years. I worked on Chili Ave., then downtown on Andrews St. We lived up in Greece though. I don't really want to call myself a Greecer (sounds a bit ugly). So, hello to you in not-so-snowy Rochester! 

Maybe someday we can reminisce over a "Garbage Plate" 🤣 ((Will probably get some raised eyebrows from folks who have never lived here! ) 😉

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Forgot to mention that we live in Greece too....and I prefer to think of myself as a very graying old hippie but definitely not a "Greecer" (all apologies to John Travolta! 😉 )

@cruiseny4life - a bit late here, catching up on all the upcoming live report among CC'ers sailing soon to get the latest scoop.  How's weather up in Utica this weekend, hehe ... As long as everything is cleared next week, right.  Looking forward to reading about your adventurous journey.   First, adding congrats for the newest U.S. citizen and everything straighten out with all the necessary arrangements, etc. 

Here's one for you, just kidding ... remember to cross-pack items if you are checking bags, not knowing whether your connecting flights are on regional jets with small overhead luggage bins as gate checking is often done.  OK, just kidding.  (One of the nephew and his spouse used to work for them here at JFK ... )

Wishing you both Bon Voyage ahead.  

DELTA - Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive.jpg

• Haha 4

Today has been declared "spa day" by myself. Last week was not exactly stressful, but I did have a lot  of angst and I know this upcoming week will be stressful, until my husband texts me a photo of his brand new passport before he heads home from Buffalo. So, spa day it is!

We lit a bunch of candles, played some calming music (including bleating sheep and mooing cows), and settled into a nice bath with calming Epsom salt (not the CBD kind, we're not those kind of people). I'll forever be grateful the previous homeowner installed a large two-person Jacuzzi tub in the home. The jets sure were pleasurable today. The green plants in our restroom are sure a nice contrast to the marvelous white world we woke up to this morning.

image.thumb.png.e148277902aa0ffa41febc8b5a608d8c.png

I was telling my husband that maybe I'll have the butler draw me a bath in one week from today. Ok, we're not really those kind of people either. I couldn't imagine asking someone to fill a bathtub for me!

Prior to my bath I decided on using my themed for the cruise coffee mug for a nice shot of espresso. I have an espresso cup, but the Breville is set to do a double shot which that espresso cup is woefully small for. Hence, we went with Miami! And, we'll be embarking from Miami so it's an appropriate use of my nice flamingo mug.

image.thumb.png.3fd162a274651b210e9030e62e84d0be.png

Finally, I'm going to sure miss my husband's homemade bread that he makes every week so we don't have to purchase Wonder Bread at the store. This time he baked it in the oven as our silly bread maker

decided to die. Yay for warranties! We should have a new one by the time we get back from our cruise.

I went with the unbaked bread as seeing through the loaf pan is a really cool visual experience!

image.thumb.png.95c2311bc7955756e057f243f5ffdea6.png

The good news, y'all!!! Is that in one week, we'll be ten minutes from sail away! You should actually have some cruise content by then, instead of insights into my life.

• Like 11

23 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Maybe someday we can reminisce over a "Garbage Plate" 🤣 ((Will probably get some raised eyebrows from folks who have never lived here! ) 😉

Please don't disown me! I had the OG Garbage Plate at Nick Tahou's and was not actually a fan...I know, I know! I'm a bad person. Please don't hold it against me too much. Perhaps you have a secret place that's a bit better!

22 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Forgot to mention that we live in Greece too....and I prefer to think of myself as a very graying old hippie but definitely not a "Greecer" (all apologies to John Travolta! 😉 )

Wow! So cool! We were within frisbee distance of one another a year ago.

6 hours ago, mking8288 said:

@cruiseny4life - a bit late here, catching up on all the upcoming live report among CC'ers sailing soon to get the latest scoop.  How's weather up in Utica this weekend, hehe ... As long as everything is cleared next week, right.  Looking forward to reading about your adventurous journey.   First, adding congrats for the newest U.S. citizen and everything straighten out with all the necessary arrangements, etc. 

Here's one for you, just kidding ... remember to cross-pack items if you are checking bags, not knowing whether your connecting flights are on regional jets with small overhead luggage bins as gate checking is often done.  OK, just kidding.  (One of the nephew and his spouse used to work for them here at JFK ... )

Wishing you both Bon Voyage ahead.  

DELTA - Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive.jpg

Hahaha, oh Utica! Or wherever south of there I may be. It's a winter wonderland today! Two of my four pups are perfectly camouflaged for days like today. The cat voluntarily went outside this morning and hasn't been seen since. I'm guessing he knows where the hay mow is in the barn to keep himself warm. Maybe he'll earn his keep and get a mice or two!

Thank you for the congrats! And, I'm really hoping the most adventurous part is his travel along the Thruway, west to Buffalo on Wednesday to get his passport.....on the same day!

So, I was hit with, we're checking bags yesterday! I thought we were just carrying on the normal bag we take, but apparently we have to take sunscreen and bug spray. Neither of which are allowed in the carry on (in the quantities we have). I was planning on gate checking. I haven't checked a bag in years, even with all the business travel I did over the last four years.

I'm hoping your little sign there is wrong about our luggage. 🙂 It is funny. Maybe I should tape it on the outside of the bag!

• Like 4

I'll forever be grateful the previous homeowner installed a large two-person Jacuzzi tub in the home

So, here’s our funny story.  We bought our first house together based on the large soaking tub.  We knew two adults could fit comfortably…and imagined the nights in a huge bubble bath.  In hind site…it was probably a 4 person tub.  Shortly upon moving in…we discovered the hot water heater could only adequately fill the tub about 1/4-1/3 full.  Needless to say, the tub became a dust collector and we moved on.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Please don't disown me! I had the OG Garbage Plate at Nick Tahou's and was not actually a fan...I know, I know! I'm a bad person. Please don't hold it against me too much. Perhaps you have a secret place that's a bit better!

Wow! So cool! We were within frisbee distance of one another a year ago.

I won't tell if you won't...truth be known in all of the years I have lived here...I never once even actually *tried* a garbage plate! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

I won't tell if you won't...truth be known in all of the years I have lived here...I never once even actually *tried* a garbage plate! 🤣

They are pretty awful. I would agree on that. But have you been to Utica for Tomato Pie or Chicken Riggies? I can do the chicken. The pie is not my cup of tea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKR2011 said:

They are pretty awful. I would agree on that. But have you been to Utica for Tomato Pie or Chicken Riggies? I can do the chicken. The pie is not my cup of tea. 

Can't say that I have had either....but I am wondering if @cruiseny4life might be familiar?

16 hours ago, laudergayle said:

So, here’s our funny story.  We bought our first house together based on the large soaking tub.  We knew two adults could fit comfortably…and imagined the nights in a huge bubble bath.  In hind site…it was probably a 4 person tub.  Shortly upon moving in…we discovered the hot water heater could only adequately fill the tub about 1/4-1/3 full.  Needless to say, the tub became a dust collector and we moved on.  

Oh my!! That's so totally not good. We actually replaced our water heater when we replaced our old propane furnace. So, now we have enough hot water to do dishes, run the water in the tub, and do a load of wash all at the same time! Everything is now heat pump-based. It works, until the temps go below -22 which we discovered this winter. Thank g-d for a wood fireplace! That morning we woke up and it was literally 32 degrees in the house. Took a wee bit of time for us to bring the temp up!

You could fill the tub with soil and make a really nice planter! I know, I know! But it could be a cool little display.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Keep it that way! Try out Hedges over in Webster. Now that is a fine meal! We always went there for our anniversary.

This was the hunk of prime rib served to me. It was at least three inches thick, still on the bone!

0btoTVJPFvdp5riFKaoY9rCk8gC2jiQN6Nav3ajvsAcMqrvzwMZElR2h-kR4AcVh2o1dMqw3aGgVYE2OuXFMHvwUaenYXnQyov7rzEaG2l2Weo0kLVqQ1PEhJ3-n3qh1-y3BCLuewctXxl9XHI4ef96Is5XMrDvgJzcQQRPNqPpeeNqAQhfKCMbev3iDbL8KjVoa9pzoagnlZFoFWXLTWcHsmmpisE7dBathEm04UrlUB8R8Ehao83B1aXN76KCsFZF1-1SxAzPnS8mkvGtKiHB4xGY6_-VLoozOGttf_GlSFd_ln9iaWgwh1ZnYTUqykVgojXw5XSWvE9PieCzztdpeRzRyNsbjzR5_-zOxnbikpTUct8a10ezdL7Oa27U0Ngw2DcE1ejXTiwKvrTcx0f3-hpWbRYol4qvc3LXTf1_HbGZnfAa1XnW38IpNQiXe6JIg1llGaEELaTmbOQ6iSqPou3dyAXdpBE9LY4c1fPJS8h1Mb8f6emF76IHRLl9Xjr0wAuYNu9V2Pk7JRREA5uBI4PZxnyD5k8F0qPoruVO4--1tgI9FRWTwYGNT7n_xCxcHJaYPgVym5Jk0A_QJHmayvvsNDF9GbL2ebjDcWeECYasAKIqLBdMVTB_-KRQbu4lf7nzL-8AOwIFswSc3mQetG9JvQPINnkl5Tt8e7hdtT_TvKJl0uTggTOaRwOepn5TZVUeSRKPVMkylzIcGn_-SU6ngJLfdN0d28_JRraielfFL6uOeaDXNnCmugrGeCXBcHf_7u3yGqW9ickzrCnuP51r-WgyEnsmkJCwrQWiU0-yTgpYSlEI5M0JKBZS8CB8M7yjSN0xwkFA3AS-xQxkjm3CdxTKY5cqoSa8Y9W2iveaAsXYX8iL92ZJHGfbfs2ZOQ3-IRMbo9I0uCnKNyt0zuyuAeKM6tXG7hsaGCzYQ7ztI57R_1CVFButaIYN5fNGCPihvbBv2Q09STx4=w1743-h1307-no?authuser=1

3 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

Haha! I'm so glad we agree.

1 hour ago, Red-Sol said:

Can't say that I have had either....but I am wondering if @cruiseny4life might be familiar?

I have had both. Riggies one time in my life. I actually still lived in Greece, but we were on the way home from a weekend trip to Lake George, so we stopped at a random bar/restaurant slightly north of Utica. They were excellent and the portion was gigantic! I eat all my food, but this portion forced my surrender.

As for the tomato pie. It all depends on the sauce. I've tried three since being in Utica. The really popular O'Scugnizzo is just ok. There's another place (not sure the name), but it's excellent! Still not nearly as good as a regular NY slice though. Mmmm, I'm hungry, y'all!

• Like 2

Less than a week until the cruise! Last night I was dreaming of my first breakfast. I think I'm going with the Poached Eggs 'Meurette' and Shrimp Toast, of course with a generous serving of hash browns. Mmmm!

Here's the Poached Eggs from a previous cruise:

image.thumb.png.5e9d1c9b913119fa933c9340a53ba1a0.png

It's oh so yummy! Apparently I have no Shrimp Toast photos, so I know what my mission next week is.

• Like 2

We took a Sunday stroll across the property to give the dogs a nice wander before we leave them for a week. Leaving the animals is always the hardest part of going on vacation. I wish NCL would get some kennels like Cunard! If I'm ever the CEO of a cruise line, you know there'll be some staterooms converted to dog kennels.

Since the temps are going to slightly rise when we are gone, it might be the last opportunity for the pups to enjoy the snow.

image.thumb.png.ecb822e8e6d2d1b015c21696b1a92195.png

image.png.9a4077f210a3ee9cd161e0635a6a9fbf.png

image.thumb.png.30d021d23639526c56284af757c4d3a0.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

So we did a thing. That I claim I never do. We put in upgrade bids for a couple of suites. Of course I am 99% sure we won't possibly win as the ship is fully sold and there are probably higher bids than we offered. But, you might hear an even more happy cruiseny4life on Saturday if we're fortunate enough to have one of our bids accepted for an even fancier Haven suite!

image.thumb.png.8c0c6a2d5c315b997bae302860996e01.png

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

So we did a thing. That I claim I never do. We put in upgrade bids for a couple of suites. Of course I am 99% sure we won't possibly win as the ship is fully sold and there are probably higher bids than we offered. But, you might hear an even more happy cruiseny4life on Saturday if we're fortunate enough to have one of our bids accepted for an even fancier Haven suite!

image.thumb.png.8c0c6a2d5c315b997bae302860996e01.png

Wishing good luck!

• Thanks 1

Soooo....uhhh, this is not my Jeep. But! The sticker belongs on my SUV.

jeep.thumb.jpg.240f2013cad5ea698776d3ec8a2260d5.jpg

I'm hoping Joy's captain's driving doesn't scare me! 

Also...do Renegades really count as Jeep? And a Trail Hawk symbol on a Renegade? Come on, man!!! 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Soooo....uhhh, this is not my Jeep. But! The sticker belongs on my SUV.

jeep.thumb.jpg.240f2013cad5ea698776d3ec8a2260d5.jpg

I'm hoping Joy's captain's driving doesn't scare me! 

Also...do Renegades really count as Jeep? And a Trail Hawk symbol on a Renegade? Come on, man!!! 

Funny…I just bought my granddaughter this car magnet!

2744F17F-F61B-4929-9AE1-6463DD009332.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2