Striking Out to New Turf – A Joy(ful) Live – 3/18 – 3/25, Western Caribbean

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

A little “tongue in cheek” there.  Bon voyage…those 650 reviews will be waiting for you after your JOYful vacay😎

Oh my gosh!!! I truly didn't even do that on purpose...and yes, they're thankfully out of my mind until March 27th!

2 hours ago, Akheila said:

We sail on her after, so we've been reading along.  Can't wait for pictures and things not to miss!  

So glad to have you aboard! I swear, the ship part of this comes soon. Hang in there. 🙂

34 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Are you going to Gem Batumi in Sunny Isles Beach? Lots of Russian cuisine in the area too.

Nooooooo.....he says with a question mark tone.

I'm looking at it now and really, really like the photos showing it's on the water. But, I'm seeing some reviews claiming it's closed. There's no website or anything, so maybe we'll give them a call. I'd like to see their menu to be sure they have khinkali, dolma, and khachapuri.

We're planning to go to Kavkaz on Route 1 in what looks like Biscayne Landing. I don't know the area, so just basing that on what Google says.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Nooooooo.....he says with a question mark tone.

I'm looking at it now and really, really like the photos showing it's on the water. But, I'm seeing some reviews claiming it's closed. There's no website or anything, so maybe we'll give them a call. I'd like to see their menu to be sure they have khinkali, dolma, and khachapuri.

We're planning to go to Kavkaz on Route 1 in what looks like Biscayne Landing. I don't know the area, so just basing that on what Google says.

If you do pass through Sunny Isles Beach, it is known for its Russian/Eastern European population, so there are a few authentic restaurants and markets. Kavkaz is on Biscayne Boulevard not far from SIB, just over the causeway. And it is a good restaurant.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 2:49 PM, dcgrumpy said:

Looking forward to your report. I'm on the same cruise.  One of the people we're traveling with is also waiting for a passport and was told the same thing about the 6th. Maybe you'll see them at the NYC passport office. 

How did your fellow traveler make out with the passport? I hope it was as simple as my husband's adventure! 

• Like 1

I'm a bad pet parent. I've totally forgotten to show off our cat! We're meeting our house sitter in the morning to go over the cat's routine and what he needs. He'll have run of the house since the pups will be taken to prison (it's a kennel, but ya know).

Here he is relaxing while I type away! 

20230316_220107.thumb.jpg.605e7c6a31737018a85b3cd0fd88b18e.jpg

And looking all cute and sleepy. 

20230314_130434.thumb.jpg.ca4b6fc403c6518f73eb2262362b2c78.jpg

It's so hard to leave all my animals... even if I know they'll be well cared for.

• Like 14

It's 530 AM. I've been awake since 445. At 508 my husband finally woke up wondering why I wasn't sleeping. I told him I was just waiting for him to wake up so I could change the cat litter, finalize our packing, and do other things around the house...which apparently includes a shot of espresso and Cruise Critic.

image.thumb.png.ae66e64ccedd54c3b4099e7cd9e532d6.png

Did I mention 5 is my husband's normal wake up time, so it's really kind of expected to be up now....

• Like 6

We stopped at one of the brand new NYS Thruway service areas. I've heard a lot about how badly these were designed. Suffice it to say, I was underwhelmed. Whomever approved the design of these pole barns needs to be fired Pronto!

20230317_093330.thumb.jpg.178d899b4580e447cdc2ed08a7a9b708.jpg

That's the entire seating area. That's it. Nothing else. Imagine a coach bus pulling in with fifty people. 

And the bathroom. We get to spray our hand juices everywhere. I was happy to find the roll of helpful TP on the baby germ spreader.

20230317_094940.thumb.jpg.c632cbc7936de1ef552f4db5e24bec6b.jpg

20230317_094943.thumb.jpg.3dd6b4ce76d7d5b2309db2bcde03c99f.jpg

And, finally, in my esteemed opinion, the urinal situation. There are two on this side and two on the other. I can only imagine the giant ladies line if they have the same situation!

20230317_094935.thumb.jpg.3c249e5736ee77a4859d546c755edc8d.jpg

Bottom line: NYS bid this hatchet job out and privatized the service areas. I love privatization, said no one ever. 

20230317_093714.thumb.jpg.e6b1b0f210e1230e6e92c55fd38e3748.jpg

Birthday breakfast! I grabbed McDonald's before getting on the Thruway.  My husband loves Chik Fil A, but there's none around us so....here we are. I did get a free cappuccino from Starbucks for my birthday and the lady at McDonald's gave me one of the sausage, egg, and cheese McMuffins free since the app didn't work properly. Yay, saving money!

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

And it starts. I have pre-check, he doesn't. I stayed with the husband and we both were through before the folks in the actual pre-check line.

I used to work at an airport, and it always cracked me up whenever I saw the general screening line was shorter than the pre-check line.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

I used to work at an airport, and it always cracked me up whenever I saw the general screening line was shorter than the pre-check line.

As you likely know, I was still given the pre-check amenity of keeping my shoes on!

Happy & safe travel and you should be in flight by now ??   BTW, happy b'day ... never knew until last year that I'm allergic to dog hairs, otherwise - one of the niece's pair of dogs always find me when they needed someone to pet-sit briefly for them.  

IMG_20180813_135406002_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh my!! I'm SOO excited for you!

Happy Birthday! I will be celebrating today too and have a glass, well a bottle of wine tonight!

I cannot wait to see your pictures and hear everything about your trip but stay in the moment and enjoy every second.

Fur babies are very cute but your cat looked like he knew what was going to go down by your leaving!

What finally have you decided on for your drink(s)? 

Enjoy!

I've had Shake Shack one time in my life. It was at a conference just outside the Oculus in Manhattan. Well, I've had it again. And, this time. Wow! The Smoke Shack burger has some nice heat and is so good. Mmmmmm!

It looks weird, because I had to hold it awkwardly to keep that scrumptious bacon on the burger. As you can see the burger was running away too!

20230317_142341.thumb.jpg.a0bc0e151e2a4fc270f1f710f063f3ab.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3