Striking Out to New Turf – A Joy(ful) Live – 3/18 – 3/25, Western Caribbean

Welp, my chat with Delta went as expected. Sorry, we can't help you with your husband's name change! And so, it's in NCL's court to get the change processed. We requested the change, and paid the fee to NCL (for our convenience) last Thursday. A week from Thursday is Thursday, a day before we flight out. Let's hope it all goes smoothly. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8a4ef28068951868bddd9b4fe2ad8058.jpeg

20230313_114845.thumb.jpg.752beb98f852ee15ab5ca82096f4e1d5.jpg

As an alternative, we're hoping his driver's license, naturalization certificate, and court order, along with brand spanking new passport might get us through TSA. Hmmm...I don't like relying on that alternative. Maybe we will take a twenty hour drive to Miami, after all! 

PS....anyone have a trick to right side my last photo? I'm seeing no options at all to fix it. TY!

I had a worrying exchange elsewhere about the Haven dress code. In my experience (all three times on Getaway in the last year), you are allowed to wear flippie floppies, t-shirt, and shorts to the Haven Restaurant. Others are reporting on Breakaway that they enforce a made up dress code. I suppose the maitre d must have stolen the little placard from Ocean Blue or Le Bistro? Or is Getaway the ship that's out of compliance? I'm worried we might be relying a lot on our butler if Joy's Haven Restaurant requires collared shirts and sneakers.

Here is the placard that is causing my consternation which is supposedly at the host stand in the Haven on Breakaway. Do any other folks have experience with this? And, more specifically with Joy? 

image.thumb.jpeg.0092bb2713e72cd9fa4721ea5bf89168.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok, enough about issues! Let's get to the fun!! We have the Ultimate Beverage Package (I think that's what it's called this month). I plan on drinking. Since I'm a fatty that is irresponsible, I have Type II Diabetes that is somewhat, kind of, sort of managed well. On our last cruise, I went a little bit too heavy on the sugary alcoholic drinks and felt terrible in the morning (so terrible I skipped my favorite Haven meal, breakfast)!! Booooooo irresponsible life choices! 

Wait, fun stuff! Right. That's why I'm here now. 

I know most liquors are carb-free, but I'm not a huge fan of drinking straight liquor. Last time, I switched from carb-loaded mixer drinks to vodka and club soda. It was good, but not great. Do any of you have suggestions on what I might be able to mix drinks with that would make for a tasty drink? I'm open to all options, provided it's not an upcharge drink per the normal included Free at Sea package. But, most importantly, please don't recommend diet or zero sugar mixers. I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners. 😞 

I do have the NCL beverage list (as of 2021). I'm sure I'll find a lot there...after I research all those lovely mixers.

Cheers to you all!!

So a few to consider. Bloody Mary, straight Champagne or Prosecco…and the Prosecco is part of UDP—assuming no supply chain issues.  You can also ask to substitute a sugar packet (4 grams of sugar) for the one ounce simple syrup (14 grams per ounce) to reduce some sugar.  Mojitos are actually pretty good without the simple syrup.  Gin and vodka gimlets with sugar packet.  Tequila shots with salt and lime (from the 70’s…haha).  For your vodka and soda, add a squirt of cranberry and heavy lime squeeze.  Cheers🥂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 4:57 PM, cruiseny4life said:

So, I was hit with, we're checking bags yesterday! I thought we were just carrying on the normal bag we take, but apparently we have to take sunscreen and bug spray. Neither of which are allowed in the carry on (in the quantities we have). I was planning on gate checking. I haven't checked a bag in years, even with all the business travel I did over the last four years.

If sunscreen and bug spray are the only reasons for checking bags, maybe you can buy them when you are in Miami overnight...unless you use very specialized sunscreen and bug spray.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

If sunscreen and bug spray are the only reasons for checking bags, maybe you can buy them when you are in Miami overnight...unless you use very specialized sunscreen and bug spray.

I have a penny pinching husband who believes we should use what we have...even though it'll cost us $30 each way to check the luggage. 

BUT, I like the way you think!!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

I have a penny pinching husband who believes we should use what we have...even though it'll cost us $30 each way to check the luggage. 

BUT, I like the way you think!!!

...and the possibility of missing or delayed luggage...connecting through JFK...

I won't argue any further as you need to maintain peace with your husband. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

...and the possibility of missing or delayed luggage...connecting through JFK...

I won't argue any further as you need to maintain peace with your husband. 😉

So much for that. I related this story to him. He just laughed...and agreed that he's the penny pincher. He also expressed worry that our neighbors onboard are just going to think of him as a scrooge now.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, laudergayle said:

So a few to consider. Bloody Mary, straight Champagne or Prosecco…and the Prosecco is part of UDP—assuming no supply chain issues.  You can also ask to substitute a sugar packet (4 grams of sugar) for the one ounce simple syrup (14 grams per ounce) to reduce some sugar.  Mojitos are actually pretty good without the simple syrup.  Gin and vodka gimlets with sugar packet.  Tequila shots with salt and lime (from the 70’s…haha).  For your vodka and soda, add a squirt of cranberry and heavy lime squeeze.  Cheers🥂

15 hours ago, goldmom said:

My DH enjoyed some aperol spritz's and even though they do have some sugar they didn't seem to raise his numbers much.

PS- I enjoyed them too!

14 hours ago, Christina231955 said:

Maybe Negroni sbagliato, which is Campari, Martini rosso and topped up with Prosecco, it’s lighter than the normal Negroni which has gin instead of the Prosecco and is pretty lethal but both options don’t have sugary  mixers.

My list is being expanded as we speak. Thank you!!

I'll have to try the heavy lime squeeze once, prepared to toss the drink. I'm not a big citrus juice in my drink/food kind of guy...but maybe it'll do the trick!

What I really want is a never-ending cascade of Mai Tais, Long Islands, Capt (not that NCL serves this) with Coke and Grenadine, and all the other yummy sweet concoctions the Haven bar is known for. Alas, dry drinks it is this time as I want that Haven breakfast.

• Like 1

Don't remember if you're in the Haven or not this trip, but if you are could you please verify if the elevator goes to all 3 levels of the Haven 17,18,and 19.  DH hasn't seen the sundeck in awhile as the ships we've been on recently only had stairs.

Wishing you a great cruise and that all the pre-cruise things go off without a hitch!

Thanks

6 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Don't remember if you're in the Haven or not this trip, but if you are could you please verify if the elevator goes to all 3 levels of the Haven 17,18,and 19.  DH hasn't seen the sundeck in awhile as the ships we've been on recently only had stairs.

Wishing you a great cruise and that all the pre-cruise things go off without a hitch!

Thanks

The Videos I have seen on Joy Haven the elevator does go to all 3 decks

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Thanks

41 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

The Videos I have seen on Joy Haven the elevator does go to all 3 decks

Obviously for research reasons I will ride this elevator, several times to ensure it reaches all three floors... with a cranberry vodka and club in hand! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

Thanks

I can answer this one!!!   Yes, the Haven elevator goes up to the sundeck on the Joy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We're both working from home today, because there was enough snow to convince our bosses we just couldn't, possibly make it in. To be fair, his drive is 1.5 hours each way. Mine is 30 minutes. 

Anyway, he's on a business call in our office. I'm doing "work," aka checking delta.com for updates. Well, I started clapping, exclaiming "yaaaaaay," because his last name is now changed on our Delta flights! While the husband was on a business Zoom call. Oh well! 

Last Thursday we told NCL to change his name and pay the $150 fee. They told us it would be two business days. As I mentioned above, Delta told us seven business days. Well we (he) called NCL today. Apparently whomever he spoke with last week didn't do their job as no change was noted. Big surprise. Did I ever mention I abhor all things shoreside on NCL? Well, I do. 

Anyway, the kind lady he spoke with today told him it would be changed within two hours. And guess what? One NCL employee actually did her job! YEEEEEEEEEHA we're flying to Miami! 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Anyway, the kind lady he spoke with today told him it would be changed within two hours. And guess what? One NCL employee actually did her job! YEEEEEEEEEHA we're flying to Miami! 

Where you still charged the ridiculous amount of $150?

30 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Last Thursday we told NCL to change his name and pay the $150 fee. They told us it would be two business days. As I mentioned above, Delta told us seven business days. Well we (he) called NCL today. Apparently whomever he spoke with last week didn't do their job as no change was noted. Big surprise. Did I ever mention I abhor all things shoreside on NCL? Well, I do. 

I have such low expectations from NCL's shoreside staff that I am ecstatic when a request is actually and correctly carried out. I also seem to have more luck using the chat function instead of calling, though probably not for a name change. That requires special skills.

On 3/10/2023 at 4:28 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Thank you! I'm so glad you're here now.

We were Rochestarians for about three years. I worked on Chili Ave., then downtown on Andrews St. We lived up in Greece though. I don't really want to call myself a Greecer (sounds a bit ugly). So, hello to you in not-so-snowy Rochester! 

Brings back memories of commuting from my OH home to Xerox tower 2X/month.

• Like 2