Requesting Recommended hotels in Amsterdam for pre cruise and advice on taxi service availability.

DeShy

We had a difficult time May 4 disembarking Jewel of the Seas TA at Amsterdam cruise terminal with taxi service or Uber. Our hotel was Holiday Inn Express City Hall. Taxis outside were only interested in fares to Schiphol airport. We each had a large suitcase and didn't mind paying for taxi or Uber. However Uber could not find drivers & taxi quoted €40 for the very short trip (1.8km = 1mile). Fortunately weather was nice & we did it on foot but have never experienced such a problem with taxis & Uber.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of good ideas....but one thing I notice is no one mentions the $$$$$.....at $400 or more ++++ taxes etc  a night I was shocked.....so have decided to stay closer to the airport and train in and out.....only a 20 min ride.....and then use the money I save for tours and dinners out........I guess we are more of value for money kind of folks....lol....

Yes, hotel prices everywhere have shot up since Covid but in Amsterdam they’re off the scale this summer. The convenience and simplicity of the trains actually make Schiphol and neighbouring Hoofddorp a very attractive proposition as the Doubletree next to Centraal station is in no way worth the €384 it’s charging for a random Saturday night in July. But people are clearly paying, so …

We just spent two nights post-cruise at the Amsterdam Marriott.  Great location, very modern/fresh interior.  The room was very comfortable with comfy bed and included unlimited mineral water and espresso machine (like a Nespresso), also free wifi.  Onsite restaurants both good.  Very knowledgeable concierge staff.  Walkable to most everywhere you'd want to go but also directly on tram and bus systems.  Close to shops, restaurants, parks, and directly across the street from one of the major canals so easy access to canal boat ride.  Have nothing negative to say about it.  Check out the senior rate if you qualify.

Edited by zelker

Stayed double tree pre cruise and movenpick post cruise 

both nice. Both pricey. 
double tree closer to walking the neighborhoods but doable from the other.   Walking off the ship to the movenpick was nice.  Price was high but staying farther out and transporting backing forth had some cost plus our time.  For maybe a one time visit we bit the bullet and paid to be close to attractions. 

On 6/16/2023 at 7:29 PM, Kelownabccan said:

Lots of good ideas....but one thing I notice is no one mentions the $$$$$.....at $400 or more ++++ taxes etc  a night I was shocked.....so have decided to stay closer to the airport and train in and out.....only a 20 min ride.....and then use the money I save for tours and dinners out........I guess we are more of value for money kind of folks....lol....

That is definately doable.   Train ride easy and a pleasant ride.  

We used hilton points for the double tree, we get our points from the hilton CC,  which is a far better deal than airline frequent flyer credit cards,  etc. In my opinion.       

Bit the bullet and booked a hotel in the Dam Square area .....I only going there once  might as well be where we can walk out of the hotel and see the sights rather than going on a train back and forth.....anyone stayed at the BW Dam square .....looked at google maps and I guess the best way there is to take the train to the central station and a tram back to the dam square area??? or a bus from the airport....any thoughts......looks like the hotel is in a no car area....just people walk streets

2 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Bit the bullet and booked a hotel in the Dam Square area .....I only going there once  might as well be where we can walk out of the hotel and see the sights rather than going on a train back and forth.....anyone stayed at the BW Dam square .....looked at google maps and I guess the best way there is to take the train to the central station and a tram back to the dam square area??? or a bus from the airport....any thoughts......looks like the hotel is in a no car area....just people walk streets

Or just walk from the station. 10 minutes max.

7 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Or just walk from the station. 10 minutes max.

Agree...ate lunch just off the dam square last week, while staying at DoubleTree. Easy walk, even with suitcases, unless mobility is a problem. I would take a cab to the ship from there probably,  or maybe the trolley. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-Cruise: We booked the Movenpick next to the cruise terminal.

Post-Cruise: We booked Park Centraal, almost next door to...

-- The museums -- Blue Boat canal cruises -- Hard Rock Cafe (not for Euro-culture).

For transport, we booked Taxi van Dalfsen... www.taxivandalfsen.nl