La Harve with kids?

skittl1321

We will have a 5-year old and a 7-year old on our European cruise.

My daughter REALLY wants to see the Eiffel tower, but I am thinking it might make more sense to do a seperate trip where we go to Paris, rather than do it from the cruise now that I have seen how expensive excursions are... (EEK! That was half the reason we booked the cruise; oops.)

What do you recommend from La Harve? Is it worth the time and money to go into Paris?  Normandy? Or something closer to the port?

• Like 1

It's Le Havre.

And it's actually IN Normandy - but I'm guessing that you mean the Normandy D-Day beaches.

Nearest D-Day sight is Pegasus Bridge at Ranville, taken by glider-borne British para's just after midnight on 6th June. It's a little over an hour from Le Havre, then British & Canadian landing beaches, the Mulberry Harbour at Arromanches, etc,  before the American Omaha beach at St Laurent du Mer and the nearby American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-mer, about 90 minutes from Le Havre. More American sights like Pointe du Hoc, Utah beach & Ste Mere-Eglise up to 30 minutes further.  Lots of sights, relics and museums. But that's a long & tiring day, there's no suitable public transport so you need either a tour or a rented car with lots of research (we can help), and .................................... I don't know whether  D-Day and particularly the tear-jerking American Cemetery would be right for the kids or would appeal to them.

Paris is about 2 - 2.5 hrs by train (with the kids you'd need a taxi to Le Havre station). A ho-ho bus or boat and of course the Eiffel Tower.

Only you know how the kids would cope with that, but it would certainly be a lot easier on the pocket

For safe & simple, the attractive fishing & tourist village of Honfleur is only about 30 minutes away. Very pleasant harbourside cafes & restaurants, shops & small attractions. 

Again, no suitable public transport, but taxis available to pre-book or on-spec at the pier and sharing is normal for larger taxis. Sorry, no idea of the current cost.

Google those places, see what you think.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

We will have a 5-year old and a 7-year old on our European cruise.

Maybe you could have a beach day in either le HAVRE or in Honfleur?   If there is a nice one in Honfleur, you could mix  some beach time for the kids with a wander around this really pretty town for the adults and it would be easy to do using either a public bus, or a taxi each way.  I don't think there is much in le Havre otherwise as it isn't the most attractive town, although it is a good base for sightseeing elsewhere in the region.

Paris would not only be a very expensive shorex  for you as a family, but it would also be an exhausting and very long day for the kids.

If searching le Havre or Honfleur beaches, or something like "le Havre(or Honfleur)  for kids", for best results be mindful that it is le HAVRE and not le Harve.

Edited by edinburgher

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed my Normandy D-Day private tour but I don't think a 5 and 7 year old would get a lot out of it. On a flip side - they could run around on the beaches and probably be content while the adults pay attention to the guide.