Are Canadians paying 25% less than Americans?

frbob

7 minutes ago, AE_Collector said:

I compared the Tax and Port Fees on the cruise we have booked for April. The cruise price is about 8% above par but Tax and Port Fees in Canadian are unaffected by the better exchange rate. They are 35% more in Canadian than in US and 1.35 is the current Princess exchange rate. Just like anything else prepaid or pre purchased before hand such as pre purchasing OBC or prepaying gratuities etc. What I didn’t look at was the Plus and Premier add on prices under this offer. My guess would be that only the base cruise price is being reduced.

I’m still happy that one I had been thinking of was doing was included, so we booked it quickly and now we are off to Hawaii! 

Edited by Happiest when cruising
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 8:39 PM, Cruise Junky said:

It’s a common promotion.  Border towns in the US do it all the time. Just means we’re both paying $1,000 for a cruise and not US residents paying $1000 and Canadian residents paying $1,300.   Disappointing to see politics/policies being brought into this.  It’s no different from a residency rate.  

what i think you are failing to see is the amount of money employers pay canada residents in wages is probaly higher to make up for the inflation in the currency.  does the average product cost more money in canada than the US? How much does a 2 liter coca cola or pepsi brand cost canadian in a big supermarket?  as an example

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, warren buffet said:

what i think you are failing to see is the amount of money employers pay canada residents in wages is probaly higher to make up for the inflation in the currency.  does the average product cost more money in canada than the US? How much does a 2 liter coca cola or pepsi brand cost canadian in a big supermarket?  as an example

Just picked a random large grocery chain, I didnt price search. A 2 litre of Pepsi is $3.49. On sale, you could probably find under $2.  I grocery shop in the US quite a bit.  Some things are indeed cheaper in Canada but others are far more expensive. 

I have several US direct reports, they are paid higher than their Canadian counterparts.  Likely due to health care costs.  

Edited by Cruise Junky

30 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Just picked a random large grocery chain, I didnt price search. A 2 litre of Pepsi is $3.49. On sale, you could probably find under $2.  I grocery shop in the US quite a bit.  Some things are indeed cheaper in Canada but others are far more expensive. 

I have several US direct reports, they are paid higher than their Canadian counterparts.  Likely due to health care costs.  

a 2 litre pepsi or coca cola (whatever is on sale at the moment. one or the other seems to almost always be on sale in the US) is 1.50 to 1.75 max. so 20-30 percent less comparing to an avg of 2 in canadian money in canada say. what things are cheaper in canada? aside from maple syrup?  the cost of healthcare in canada in terms of co-pays does not count, because the healthcare in canada is highly subsidized from general tax revenue that you are paying taxes from. Is my understand from past research. 

35 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

it's the same thing from la, san fran or NYC in america.   the prices places are definately higher for a ton of things. but. they also make more money from working.  yes. people who are retirees and no longer working are hurt by this setup. which is why a ton of retirees go and move to lower cost areas where sales taxes are also lower. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just took advantage of this and put a hold on an October Med cruise.  Had my sights on a Norwegian cruise but it wasn’t part of the sale and priced out considerably more.  

• Like 1