SunnOdyssey divers in Freeport...warning!

ABQrobin

We just got back from our cruise and wanted to warn everyone about this dive op.  They told my husband by e-mail and over the phone MULTIPLE times, that they would be going out diving and would send their driver to pick him up, as well as other divers on our ship.  He was there, with all his dive gear along with another diver, and met by the driver, Timmy.  Well, Timmy said "oops, didn't you get the e-mail, diving cancelled... but I can take you to another dive op that will take you out".  They agreed, big mistake, got in the taxi and the driver went around in circles as he called "friends" who might take them diving.  Then he returned to port after 30 minutes and stuck out his hand and demanded $60 per person.  He was adamant that they owed him money for his time and gas, they each gave him $30 and got out of taxi.  SCAM alert.  They should have never gotten in the taxi, and yes it turns out the dive op did send out an e-mail but it wasn't received until after ship docked and they were out in port waiting for driver.  We met another guy on our ship later on who said he got the e-mail and was equally mad, though he hadn't wasted $30 on a taxi ride to nowhere.

Just a warning.... what happened to us.

I guess the dive operator cancelling the dive because the conditions were bad or dangerous or totally undesirable doesn't matter one bit?

Faulting a local taxi driver who put his best foot forward and likely heard the same story that "our boat ain't going out today because..." ; you don't think he conveyed that? You've never heard the term "The meter is running" ???

If it was only $30 I had misspent on scuba over the years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobroo said:

I guess the dive operator cancelling the dive because the conditions were bad or dangerous or totally undesirable doesn't matter one bit?

Faulting a local taxi driver who put his best foot forward and likely heard the same story that "our boat ain't going out today because..." ; you don't think he conveyed that? You've never heard the term "The meter is running" ???

If it was only $30 I had misspent on scuba over the years.

the point was that he tried to get $60 per person for a 30 minute drive around the neighborhood, that's $120 he tried to con them out of using the excuse he "knew a guy" who might take them out.  The other dive op on the island apparently went out, too, so not really sure it was "rough seas" as the dive op said in the e-mail.  

• 3 weeks later...

Misleading title -- SunnOdyssey cancelled the dive, attempted to contact divers.  Absolute rule for divers - any diver can call any dive for any reason.  Can't fault SunnOdyssey.  The taxi driver was apparently out of a trip, because of the cancellation.  Found two divers that didn't get the message, and tried to make up for the missed trip.  Could have turned out MUCH worse.  Would I dive with any operation whose entire reputation AFAIK is -- Well, Timmy said "oops, didn't you get the e-mail, diving cancelled... but I can take you to another dive op that will take you out". 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 2:18 PM, gmerick said:

Misleading title -- SunnOdyssey cancelled the dive, attempted to contact divers.  Absolute rule for divers - any diver can call any dive for any reason.  Can't fault SunnOdyssey.  The taxi driver was apparently out of a trip, because of the cancellation.  Found two divers that didn't get the message, and tried to make up for the missed trip.  Could have turned out MUCH worse.  Would I dive with any operation whose entire reputation AFAIK is -- Well, Timmy said "oops, didn't you get the e-mail, diving cancelled... but I can take you to another dive op that will take you out". 

YOU aren't getting the point.... their taxi driver (he is the one the dive op sent for us, by name) demanded $120 after driving them around for 15 minutes.