Higher public transit fees for cruise visitors possible

Charles4515

FYI. What I find interesting is that Royal Caribbean is encouraging the Bermuda government to raise fares for cruisers. They talk about what they charge which I assume they mean for their transfers. Cruise passengers who don't know any better buy the upcharged transfers instead of tokens ans passes available right off the ship at the dock. Royal charges $70 roundtrip to Horseshoe Bay which would cost $9 roundtrip on the public bus or $14 roundtrip on the private shuttles. It is stunning that passengers will pay $70 when they could easily pay $14 or $9. Because of that we may end up paying more.

Their government minister saysin the article:

“I had a meeting with the Royal Caribbean line and they told me how much they actually charge to get on the bus and ferry – I was shocked [by] what they charge to get on what we charge. I was stunned.

“And they asked me ‘why we aren’t you guys charging more?’.

https://www.royalgazette.com/transport/news/article/20230310/furbert-higher-public-transport-fares-for-cruise-visitors-possible/

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

FYI. What I find interesting is that Royal Caribbean is encouraging the Bermuda government to raise fares for cruisers. They talk about what they charge which I assume they mean for their transfers. Cruise passengers who don't know any better buy the upcharged transfers instead of tokens ans passes available right off the ship at the dock. Royal charges $70 roundtrip to Horseshoe Bay which would cost $9 roundtrip on the public bus or $14 roundtrip on the private shuttles. It is stunning that passengers will pay $70 when they could easily pay $14 or $9. Because of that we may end up paying more.

“I had a meeting with the Royal Caribbean line and they told me how much they actually charge to get on the bus and ferry – I was shocked [by] what they charge to get on what we charge. I was stunned.

https://www.royalgazette.com/transport/news/article/20230310/furbert-higher-public-transport-fares-for-cruise-visitors-possible/

Of course NCL passengers can ride the NCL ferries to St. George's for free, so maybe Bermudians should demand free ferry service on the Orange route on days when NCL has a ship in port. 😁

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 11:41 AM, Charles4515 said:

Hmm.  I am a bit skeptical of the supposed naivete based on that $40 pp fee collected by the same Bermudian government for a long time.