Horse riding

Dmulligan728

29 minutes ago, Dmulligan728 said:

Has anyone done a horse back riding excursion? My 7yo loves to ride and competes English. Wondering if they have anything on the beach 

Mike Watson at https://www.watsonsbermudahorsetrailrides.com I have not done it but he has a good reputation. There are regulations about riding on the beach. There are beach trails but there are certain times when on the beach itself is not allowed. 

5 hours ago, Dmulligan728 said:

Has anyone done a horse back riding excursion? My 7yo loves to ride and competes English.

Keep in mind that what’s on offer in Bermuda is a nose to tail trail ride. My wife is a competitive rider and aside from the scenery it’s a frustrating experience for anyone who’s an equestrian. We’ve sought out other options but they don’t really exist. 

@princeton123211I do a beach horseback ride in at least one port every cruise. I'm planning to do this excursion during my July Bermuda cruise. Sounds like you might have some experience with this vendor. Other than being nose to tail(which I don't mind, I'm not an experienced rider), any other details you can share? They do mention beach rides, were you able to ride along a beach or at least close to one with at least a view of the water?

42 minutes ago, sportscruiser said:

@princeton123211I do a beach horseback ride in at least one port every cruise. I'm planning to do this excursion during my July Bermuda cruise. Sounds like you might have some experience with this vendor. Other than being nose to tail(which I don't mind, I'm not an experienced rider), any other details you can share? They do mention beach rides, were you able to ride along a beach or at least close to one with at least a view of the water?

In July you should be able to do a beach ride if you do it early in the morning. Like at 7:30 am. You will have to pre arrange a taxi to get to the stables that early. It has to be early during beach season before the beach goers arrive. In the winter they don’t have that limitation. 

@Charles4515, thanks! I was originally thinking about going around 9:00 a.m. and thought that was early but if Watson's will do a ride that early, I'm there! That way I'll have more time to go see other places I was planning to visit.

OP, the website does mention you can gallop but also says minimum age for children is 9 but maybe if you explain they compete they might make an exception. If you do go and it's before July, maybe you can post about the experience!

17 hours ago, sportscruiser said:

I was originally thinking about going around 9:00 a.m. and thought that was early but if Watson's will do a ride that early, I'm there! That way I'll have more time to go see other places I was planning to visit.

It's less about the time and more about the fact that in the late morning onwards it is so beastly hot and humid in July that they might not even offer a ride for safety concerns of the horses. 

17 hours ago, sportscruiser said:

OP, the website does mention you can gallop but also says minimum age for children is 9 but maybe if you explain they compete they might make an exception.

Unlikely-- it's most likely part of their insurance requirements. 

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:
19 hours ago, sportscruiser said:

It's less about the time and more about the fact that in the late morning onwards it is so beastly hot and humid in July that they might not even offer a ride for safety concerns of the horses

I don’t think it would be too hot at 9:00 am but I doubt it gets too hot for horses in Bermuda in their summer. I see horseback riding here in Texas when it is hot. I recall reading they can’t ride on the beach,  Warwick Long Bay is where they ride or other beaches in the summer except early because of beach use regulations. They could ride on the horse trails in South Shore Park which overlooks the beaches at any time of the day. I am sure if they email Mike Watson he will give them the actual current scoop. I believe he is the only stable that has riding currently in business. All the other stables have closed. 

As far as the age limit it could be insurance but it also could be a government regulation. Bermuda has lots of regulations. 

When checking online it looks like  from May 1 to Oct 31 you can only ride on the beach only below the high water line between 5am and 8am. No South Shore beaches but the trail can be accessed anytime. Watson's stables shows as opening at 6am so it does seem like he may take riders that early. Thanks for all the help and hope it helped the OP a little.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think a "sunrise" ride is about the only time you can go during the summer. I just booked with Mike Watson's stable to ride in July. He mentioned that they have to go early due to Bermuda's summer rules and to protect the horses from the heat later in the day, so I had to book a 7:30 a.m. ride.