Question about car rentals in Papeete

Leejnd4

Hello PGers! We're booked on the PG in November. We're arriving a few days early, staying at an AirBnb, and want to rent a car. I've been researching but sheesh, I'm confused! It seems some cars come with 0 included mileage, while others have unlimited miles. And I've read some concerning comments about people getting stuck with huge, unexpected up-charges for insurance.

Any suggestions for the best, safest, most cost-effective way to rent a car for a few days in Papeete, that won't hit me with any surprises? Thanks for any help!

4 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Hello PGers! We're booked on the PG in November. We're arriving a few days early, staying at an AirBnb, and want to rent a car. I've been researching but sheesh, I'm confused! It seems some cars come with 0 included mileage, while others have unlimited miles. And I've read some concerning comments about people getting stuck with huge, unexpected up-charges for insurance.

Any suggestions for the best, safest, most cost-effective way to rent a car for a few days in Papeete, that won't hit me with any surprises? Thanks for any help!

You need to ask yourself how much driving your going to do. If your going to circle the island it's a no brainer ... get unlimited miles. 

I rent with no miles as I just zip around Papeete and may place 20 KM on the car.

As to insurance it is better to pre buy, it's more expensive at the counter.

5 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

You need to ask yourself how much driving your going to do. If your going to circle the island it's a no brainer ... get unlimited miles. 

I rent with no miles as I just zip around Papeete and may place 20 KM on the car.

As to insurance it is better to pre buy, it's more expensive at the counter.

Thanks! We do want to drive around some. This will be my third PG cruise, but the other times we just did a couple days pre-cruise at the Intercontinental, and didn't see any of Tahiti. So I guess the unlimited miles will be the better option for us. And thanks for the tip on insurance, I'll be sure to pre-buy.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

We have always booked with Avis, unlimited miles and insurance covered.

I‘d take the car only for 1 day to loop around the island and do the rest by walk.

If you don‘t know to drive stick, make sure that you rent the correct car. Our cars always had manual gear shift.

Edited by Yoshikitty

5 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

We have always booked with Avis, unlimited miles and insurance covered.

I‘d take the car only for 1 day to loop around the island and do the rest by walk.

If you don‘t know to drive stick, make sure that you rent the correct car. Our cars always had manual gear shift.

We have a booking with Europcar through my Amex account. I do drive a stick, but a reserved an automatic with unlimited mileage. We need it for all four days we are in Papeete as we are staying in an Airbnb outside of the city. 

On 10/6/2023 at 11:28 AM, Leejnd4 said:

We have a booking with Europcar through my Amex account. I do drive a stick, but a reserved an automatic with unlimited mileage. We need it for all four days we are in Papeete as we are staying in an Airbnb outside of the city. 

We rented manual with Avis - picked up in downtown Papeete and returned to the airport - we used car after the cruise. So glad we stayed for a while, you will enjoy having it. Driving wasn't difficult, sometimes I missed the exit and we had to go a bit before turning around, but never a problem. Our tour to Teahupoʻo and Te Pari was canceled, but we still drove down there and took a taxi boat to just the wave. Pretty cool even if just wave.  Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1