Harv and Marv's or Juneau Tours for a Whale Watching Tour??

stacied68

We are trying to decide on an independent whale watching tour.   We are currently looking at Harv and Marv's or Juneau Tours?   Has anyone had experience with either that could provide insight to help us decide?  Any questions I need to ask myself to help with the decision?  

Thanks

Stacie 

My parents went with them last time we were there and had great things to say.  We went on Adventure Bound to Tracy Arm Fjord, so I can't say that I recommend them from my own personal experience.  Check Google and TripAdvisor too for reviews.  They do seem to be frequently mentioned here. We are going with Jayleen's Alaska (one of the founders of Harv and Marv's daughter) this year.

I just wanted to mention Alaska Humpback Adventures as another option.  We had a fantastic trip with them in 2018 and will be doing it again this summer.  The boat can carry 6, but my husband and I were the only ones on our tour.  Captain Steve previously was a captain for Harv and Marv.  I'm sure whatever one you choose, you'll have a great time!

I would love to do Alaska humpback Adventure tours with Captain Steve he was wonderful when I took a tour in 2015 . He was with Harv and Marv but now he has his own business he is very pleasant and knows his whales and the area .  

• Like 2

I have used Harv and Marv and they were awesome.  We got close to the whales without intruding.  Meaning we went to a spot and they swam by us.  So close I could have touched them.  It was amazing.  Only 6 people on our boat.

I believe Juneau Tours=Juneau Whale Watch from my research......we did them last year, ti was great, but we had probably 20 people on our boat.....I would say as a base comparison, I know Harv and Marv are smaller, so how many folks do you want to go with? (there were some obnoxious kids on the bus and we had to scheme to not be on their boat haha)

We’ve done Harv n Marv a couple of times and Juneau Whale Watch 4 times.  The advantage of Harv n Marv, as well as Jayleen’s, is that they spend 3 hours on the water. JWW has the larger 2-deck catamaran boat that is much more stable but only allow 2 hours on the water. They do have a combo whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier tour that is popular.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've done several small boat tours with Harv & Marv and one private tour for 12 over the years.  Fantastic company and this tour was the highlight of our cruise every time.  I'm booked with them again in May this year for my 5th Alaskan cruise.  

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot speak to the others, but we did the small boat (6 passengers) through Harv & Marv with two other couples and LOVED it!   It was a three hour tour (cue the "Gilligan's Island" theme), and we could quickly zip over to wherever the whale action was taking place. We saw many whales and were fortunate enough to catch a bubble feeding. I think it's $900 for the small private boat these days, but $150 pp for any Alaskan excursion is not bad, and it was a top notch experience.

On 3/12/2023 at 1:32 PM, stacied68 said:

We are trying to decide on an independent whale watching tour.   We are currently looking at Harv and Marv's or Juneau Tours?   Has anyone had experience with either that could provide insight to help us decide?  Any questions I need to ask myself to help with the decision?  

Thanks

Stacie 

I have done the tour with Harv and Marv's at least twice. 

It is a high quality tour. 

VERY small group. 

Well organized process of getting you to the boat and the return to the cruise ship. 

If I were looking to whale watch again in Juneau, I would certainly be booking with them again. 

🛳enJOY

Harv and Marv did an excellent job for us.  Whale watching is something many people love, but others get bored with so as long as its something you think you will enjoy, it seems like you have a lot of good options to chose from.  Alaska is beautiful and hopefully you will have a wonderful cruise.

• 1 month later...

I'm booked on my 5th Alaska cruise scheduled later this month and I discovered Harv and Marv's over 15yrs ago.  I've booked with them for all 5 cruises and have never been disappointed in the past.  Their typical tour is on a boat that has a max capacity of 5-6ppl. This is a huge difference from the larger boats that pack 20 or more on board.  Looking forward to another amazing tour!

Does anyone have any recommendations for small group (20 people or less) whale watch out of Seward?   Also, now that NCL docks at Ward Cove outside of Ketchikan are there any private whale watch excursions directly from Ward Cove.  From what I've read getting into Ketchikan has become time restrictive.

Thanks

13 minutes ago, source said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for small group (20 people or less) whale watch out of Seward?   Also, now that NCL docks at Ward Cove outside of Ketchikan are there any private whale watch excursions directly from Ward Cove.  From what I've read getting into Ketchikan has become time restrictive.

Thanks

I know Major Marine and Kenai Fjords tours do tours, but I don't know if they have the ability to do private (if you are going when they have their 6 hour fjords tours, its SO AWESOME) but there are a fewer smaller outfits that might have smaller boats....

We definitely saw a lot of whales, but our main goal was scenery and glaciers....

Edited by Kathscof

1 hour ago, source said:

Thanks

Although you might see a whale around, neither Ketchikan or Seward are considered whale watching areas.  Successful whale watching is pretty much Auke Bay in Juneau and ISP.

1 minute ago, wolfie11 said:

Although you might see a whale around, neither Ketchikan or Seward are considered whale watching areas.  Successful whale watching is pretty much Auke Bay in Juneau and ISP.

There are plenty of whales to see out of Seward - some resident pods plus migratory ones there for the summer. 

I'd agree more with you on Ketchikan, though there was a whale with us in Misty Fjord when I was on a kayak excursion - so they are around but perhaps not as densely populated.

5 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Thanks for your response.  In our past cruises to Alaska we have been I guess VERY lucky in seeing all different species of whales.  You're right Stephens Passage out of Juneau has been the best of all .  Of course there are no guarantees.  This itinerary stops in Icy Strait Point, Ward Cove (Ketchikan) & Seward.  We have already booked for Icy Strait Point.  Always try to book at least 2 during a cruise just in case.  Seattle is also a possibility pre embarkation.  Any info on Seattle whale watch tours?  

4 minutes ago, source said:

Thanks for your response.  In our past cruises to Alaska we have been I guess VERY lucky in seeing all different species of whales.  You're right Stephens Passage out of Juneau has been the best of all .  Of course there are no guarantees.  This itinerary stops in Icy Strait Point, Ward Cove (Ketchikan) & Seward.  We have already booked for Icy Strait Point.  Always try to book at least 2 during a cruise just in case.  Seattle is also a possibility pre embarkation.  Any info on Seattle whale watch tours?  

I have no experience, but I have read that the Seattle ones go a far distance to get to the whale watching area, making the actual viewing time very little....

But I would say go out on a boat in Seward for sure!  I don't know if your ship goes to a glacier, but the glacier/fjords tour in Seward is more time and WAY cheaper than the ship excursions to the glaciers.  I know I had probably 45 min or so of whale watching while I was on the 6 hour tour, but I think we lucked into it.  We saw one about 10 min after leaving the dock and happened onto some orcas and then humpback whales when we went by a place that "they normally like to hang out". 

1 hour ago, Kathscof said:

I have no experience, but I have read that the Seattle ones go a far distance to get to the whale watching area, making the actual viewing time very little....

But I would say go out on a boat in Seward for sure!  I don't know if your ship goes to a glacier, but the glacier/fjords tour in Seward is more time and WAY cheaper than the ship excursions to the glaciers.  I know I had probably 45 min or so of whale watching while I was on the 6 hour tour, but I think we lucked into it.  We saw one about 10 min after leaving the dock and happened onto some orcas and then humpback whales when we went by a place that "they normally like to hang out". 

1 hour ago, Kathscof said:

Do you recall what company you used?  Major Marine has double decker boats which tend to get crowded and you do not as close to the water level.  We have done the whale watch & fox island combination in past visits which doesn't interest us this trip.  

Thanks

38 minutes ago, source said:

Do you recall what company you used?  Major Marine has double decker boats which tend to get crowded and you do not as close to the water level.  We have done the whale watch & fox island combination in past visits which doesn't interest us this trip.  

Thanks

I was talking about Major Marine and the Kenai Fjords tours.....but there are other smaller outfits that might have smaller boats, but when you're supposed to stay 100 feet away, being atop a boat doesn't make much difference in distance (I know they may come up closer, but the boats can't "try" to get closer)

I would say to start here:

https://www.seward.com/things-to-do/tours/day-cruises-and-boat-charters/

and see if any would meet your desires

2 hours ago, Kathscof said:

I was talking about Major Marine and the Kenai Fjords tours.....but there are other smaller outfits that might have smaller boats, but when you're supposed to stay 100 feet away, being atop a boat doesn't make much difference in distance (I know they may come up closer, but the boats can't "try" to get closer)

I would say to start here:

https://www.seward.com/things-to-do/tours/day-cruises-and-boat-charters/

and see if any would meet your desires

Thanks for all your help.  The last time we went in 2019 we were fortunate enough to have an orca swim under our zodiac boat.  We snapped a picture of his EYE looking at us as he passed under us!  That was exhilarating!  Another issue we are sailing in early October when most operators have shut down for the season.  We are going to wait till we get into Seward and check sea conditions.

Thanks again.   Smooth Sailings !

• Like 1