Isabel de Torres Botanical Garden Only Tour?

JamieLogical

The last time I went to Puerto Plata, I was alone and I took a cable car tour that took me up the mountian via shuttle, explored the botanical garden, and then down the mountain via cable car. My husband is coming with me in April and is TERRIFIED of heights, so no cable car for him. Does anyone know of a tour company that has a bus/shuttle-only tour up and down the mountain without the cable car at all?

• 6 months later...
17 minutes ago, nzdisneymom said:

I don't know about the cable car, but I am interested in what you thought about the botanical garden.  

Oh, we loved it! That's why I wanted so badly to find a way up there without using the cable car. That proved more difficult than expected, so my husband ended up reluctantly agreeing to take it. Never again! I genuinely thought he was going to divorce me after making him go on it. It was so terrified.

But the view from the top is amazing and the gardens are lovely. I posted a ton of pics in my liveblog.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2023 at 8:51 PM, JamieLogical said:

Oh, we loved it! That's why I wanted so badly to find a way up there without using the cable car. That proved more difficult than expected, so my husband ended up reluctantly agreeing to take it. Never again! I genuinely thought he was going to divorce me after making him go on it. It was so terrified.

But the view from the top is amazing and the gardens are lovely. I posted a ton of pics in my liveblog.

We were curious about the gardens.we are in our 70s,and on excursions, use our canes,at times,and I seem to remember seeing a video,where there were lots of stairs to walk up and down,if taking an excursion to the mountain top.

Carnival has one that goes up the mountain in a truck,

On 12/16/2023 at 11:18 AM, margincall said:

We were curious about the gardens.we are in our 70s,and on excursions, use our canes,at times,and I seem to remember seeing a video,where there were lots of stairs to walk up and down,if taking an excursion to the mountain top.

Carnival has one that goes up the mountain in a truck,

There are definitely a lot of stairs and hills when exploring the gardens.

• 2 weeks later...

My cruise doesn't offer any tours to the gardens (I would prefer the cable car over a mountain road!), and I can't find anything from independent companies. There are lots of tours with multiple stops, but all I want is to ride up the mountain, see the gardens, and ride back down.

I'm traveling solo and I don't speak any Spanish. I know I can get a taxi to the cable car at Amber Cove. What about getting back? And is it safe to walk around alone?

23 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

My cruise doesn't offer any tours to the gardens (I would prefer the cable car over a mountain road!), and I can't find anything from independent companies. There are lots of tours with multiple stops, but all I want is to ride up the mountain, see the gardens, and ride back down.

I'm traveling solo and I don't speak any Spanish. I know I can get a taxi to the cable car at Amber Cove. What about getting back? And is it safe to walk around alone?

We were able to use Uber just fine to get to/from the cable car. Are you familiar with/comfortable using Uber? It works exactly the same in DR as it does in the US.

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

We were able to use Uber just fine to get to/from the cable car. Are you familiar with/comfortable using Uber? It works exactly the same in DR as it does in the US.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do use Uber. I'm concerned that the port security won't let Uber drivers onto the property, so it could be a hike to get back to the ship from the gate. I've seen that in other ports, and it kind of forces people to use the taxis. But at least I know I have two options for getting back to the ship. 

9 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I do use Uber. I'm concerned that the port security won't let Uber drivers onto the property, so it could be a hike to get back to the ship from the gate. I've seen that in other ports, and it kind of forces people to use the taxis. But at least I know I have two options for getting back to the ship. 

It is definitely a hike from the ship to where you could get an Uber pickup. I don't know what your physical limitations are. We ended up walking into town and taking an Uber from there.

Edited by JamieLogical

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

It is definitely a hike from the ship to where you could get an Uber pickup. I don't know what your physical limitations are. We ended up walking into town and taking an Uber from there.

The walk into town is more than I want to do. More the heat than the distance. I'll probably just get a taxi at Amber Cove and then see what I can get when I come down from the mountain. 

Thanks for your help!!

On 12/29/2023 at 8:05 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The walk into town is more than I want to do. More the heat than the distance. I'll probably just get a taxi at Amber Cove and then see what I can get when I come down from the mountain. 

Thanks for your help!!

You should be able to Uber back from the cable car. It seems Ubers are allowed to drop you off at the cab pick-up area at Amber Cove (at least ours did), just not pick you up there.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Greg901 said:

I was wondering how much time you spent exploring the botanical garden?

I think I spent about an hour there each time. Definitely could have spent a bit more time there to see everything.