Princess Plus and Family of 5 w/ 2 Staterooms.

enzeno

15 hours ago, wallyj said:

This is why many have wondered why Princess has the same name for the ‘stand alone’  beverage package and the bundle with WiFi and Tips. 

My understanding is you can buy the stand alone Plus or Premier beverage package on day 1 and passenger2 does not. This really is for when passenger2 does not drink alcohol or other drinks and you should do the math if this will work for your situation. The plus beverage pkg ‘only’ is about $65 plus 18% per day.

You can also buy the Bundles on day 1 and possibly day 2 as reported , but both passengers must purchase, see post #17.

Thanks for the correction -- my misunderstanding. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to summarize this (as a lot of different things have been brought up) and hopefully find some more people that may have clues about this issue:

My family of 5 is booked across a Mini Suite and an interior room.  Kids 12, 12, 14.  One Parent in each room.  We wanted the "Plus Package" (not the plus drink package).  I called and had it added just to myself in one state room, and my wife in the other. The net result is still the same as if we were all in the same stateroom, the first two would have the Plus package.  Since we are a family of 5, we had to get two state rooms.  We are set up the way we want.  We are assuming we will have a method for paying gratuities for our kids since the adults already have it paid for by the plus plan.

Now another family traveling with us has more than 2 kids, so the scenario is the same.  They booked a Mini suite and an interior room, one adult in each.  However, they are being told it is not possible to just have 1 person with the Plus plan in each room.  Repeated calls.  Still no luck.

Questions:

1.  Others have stated that maybe they should just wait until they are on the boat, and take care of it then.  Has anyone successfully done that?

2.  Does the booking method matter?  I booked online, and they booked via an agent we believe.  It was a # for someone at the "Cruise Planners".  It seems like a travel agent.

3.  Does being paid in full matter?  Mine was paid full at the time of my request, there's is not paid in full.

This is our first Princess cruise and booking it has not been fun.  This whole thing causes a rub for me - because being forced to get the Plus Package for the first two in the room regardless of the situation the family is in seems unfair - as a family of 4 would not have ANY issue related to this, but a family of 5 is already paying a lot more because of getting 2 staterooms and is now having to buy the plus package for 4 people instead of 2.  Just does not make sense.  It also does not make sense that a child is charged the same thing for plus as an adult.

Once again thanks for all the responses and if you have any thoughts feel free to share.

2 hours ago, enzeno said:

Just to summarize this (as a lot of different things have been brought up) and hopefully find some more people that may have clues about this issue:

My family of 5 is booked across a Mini Suite and an interior room.  Kids 12, 12, 14.  One Parent in each room.  We wanted the "Plus Package" (not the plus drink package).  I called and had it added just to myself in one state room, and my wife in the other. The net result is still the same as if we were all in the same stateroom, the first two would have the Plus package.  Since we are a family of 5, we had to get two state rooms.  We are set up the way we want.  We are assuming we will have a method for paying gratuities for our kids since the adults already have it paid for by the plus plan.

Now another family traveling with us has more than 2 kids, so the scenario is the same.  They booked a Mini suite and an interior room, one adult in each.  However, they are being told it is not possible to just have 1 person with the Plus plan in each room.  Repeated calls.  Still no luck.

Questions:

1.  Others have stated that maybe they should just wait until they are on the boat, and take care of it then.  Has anyone successfully done that?

2.  Does the booking method matter?  I booked online, and they booked via an agent we believe.  It was a # for someone at the "Cruise Planners".  It seems like a travel agent.

3.  Does being paid in full matter?  Mine was paid full at the time of my request, there's is not paid in full.

This is our first Princess cruise and booking it has not been fun.  This whole thing causes a rub for me - because being forced to get the Plus Package for the first two in the room regardless of the situation the family is in seems unfair - as a family of 4 would not have ANY issue related to this, but a family of 5 is already paying a lot more because of getting 2 staterooms and is now having to buy the plus package for 4 people instead of 2.  Just does not make sense.  It also does not make sense that a child is charged the same thing for plus as an adult.

Once again thanks for all the responses and if you have any thoughts feel free to share.

Have you tried sharing your booking number with your friends? They could then phone onto Princess with that number to confirm  it can be done. 

4 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Have you tried sharing your booking number with your friends? They could then phone onto Princess with that number to confirm  it can be done. 

Yes, we have shared all of the booking numbers.  Whoever they get on the phone simply says they don't have the ability to do it.  It's like they try, but are unable.

I have never heard of Princess allowing only one in each cabin to get the plus package not the first 2. I would double check your travel summary to make sure that is what was done. Gratuities for those without the package will be automatically be added to your folio as the cruise proceeds 

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have never heard of Princess allowing only one in each cabin to get the plus package not the first 2. I would double check your travel summary to make sure that is what was done. Gratuities for those without the package will be automatically be added to your folio as the cruise proceeds 

yes I have checked this multiple times.  It is configured as we would want it to be.  Our kids even have the classic soda package.  I know why they typically would require the plus package on the first two in the room, because they would both normally be adults, and they don't want alcohol sharing to come into play, which makes sense.  But when the second person is not an adult and your family is simply too large for one of their staterooms... This is why they did it as far as I can tell.  When I called to set Plus up I just explained that we are a family of 5 and just the adults wanted plus and she said no problem and set it up.  We even added the soda package at a later date after we had our plus plan set up.  No question, they just did it.  It is so odd that my friends are being told something different.  

If the first two in each room were required to have Plus in our scenario, it would likely completely negate any savings affiliated with getting the plus plan since kids of course do not drink alcohol.

1 hour ago, enzeno said:

yes I have checked this multiple times.  It is configured as we would want it to be.  Our kids even have the classic soda package.  I know why they typically would require the plus package on the first two in the room, because they would both normally be adults, and they don't want alcohol sharing to come into play, which makes sense.  But when the second person is not an adult and your family is simply too large for one of their staterooms... This is why they did it as far as I can tell.  When I called to set Plus up I just explained that we are a family of 5 and just the adults wanted plus and she said no problem and set it up.  We even added the soda package at a later date after we had our plus plan set up.  No question, they just did it.  It is so odd that my friends are being told something different.  

If the first two in each room were required to have Plus in our scenario, it would likely completely negate any savings affiliated with getting the plus plan since kids of course do not drink alcohol.

Good for you.  Based on past practice, I would stop pushing the issue.  Your booking is the “strange one” not your friends.  It would appear that someone did you a favor and booked yours incorrectly.  Although it is very confusing.  

The savings would not be totally negated because the second person/kid would get gratuities, one device internet (you can upgrade your to a four device package instead), and the Zero proof non alcoholic package.  Which includes much more than just soda.  With just the soda package, the kids cannot get bottled water, special deserts, milkshakes, etc.without paying for them.   The items are listed in the website for the package.  The website lists what is included in the non alcoholic package.

The  bottom line is that you got a great deal that is not in line with the official policy.  (Apparently)