Booking a Cruise on Virgin Website

2018cruisefun

Sorry for what seems to be a silly question, but I wasn’t able to find an answer to this and Virgin isn’t getting back to me.

I’m trying to book a cruise on the Virgin website and they automatically assign a cabin to you in the category you pick.
Is there some way to see which other cabins are available in your category and pick a different one?

There is no way to see what other cabins are available on the website unless you go thru multiple attempts at booking, keeping track of what the computer gives you, etc.  No really practical way.  However, a travel agent can do this, as can the telephone people at vv--yeah, the ones who aren't calling you back.

In my experience, the easiest way to accomplish things with VV is to use a travel agent.  There is a lot they can do thru their portal on the computer, and if contact with VV is necessary, they are the ones who have to wait on the phone.  The other time you can see what is available is when doing a rebooking on board.

39 minutes ago, 2018cruisefun said:

Sorry for what seems to be a silly question, but I wasn’t able to find an answer to this and Virgin isn’t getting back to me.

I’m trying to book a cruise on the Virgin website and they automatically assign a cabin to you in the category you pick.
Is there some way to see which other cabins are available in your category and pick a different one?

nope. Need to either use a travel agent who can book specific cabins with their contacts or book on the website then call up to get reassigned if you don’t like the cabin you’ve got. 

I guess I am lucky. My handful of calls were all answered rather quickly and they dealt with my questions including room change quickly.

HINT - have the ship layout in front of you so you can SEE the cabin number they give you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2018cruisefun said:

I book the cruise with whatever room is offered in my category, put it on the “24 hour hold” offered at checkout and then call sailor services. If my desired room or rooms are available they Will switch my room in my reservation and I log back in and complete the reservation. 

I’ve been able to get my favorite room the past two cruises. 

• Like 5

Speaking of booking via the website, here is a tip for Florida residents. I booked via the website. The next morning, I found myself wishing I had booked a higher category.  So I called Virgin to see if they would allow me to switch. After speaking to someone who was, let’s say not the sharpest bulb on the tree (she told me to simply cancel and rebook…even though the cruise is only 30 days away and I would have lost my entire fare), transferred and disconnected, I called back and i fortunately reached to a very knowledgeable person. 

Yes, they would be happy to change my reservation. She then asked if I’m a FL resident, which I am, and she informed me I’m entitled to a 10% discount on the entire fare, so the upgrade after the reduction was in effect not much more I was originally paying. 

Bottom line after this long-winded post is that the website didn’t seem to mention or note a Florida resident discount (unless I missed it). So it paid for me to call. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

Speaking of booking via the website, here is a tip for Florida residents. I booked via the website. The next morning, I found myself wishing I had booked a higher category.  So I called Virgin to see if they would allow me to switch. After speaking to someone who was, let’s say not the sharpest bulb on the tree (she told me to simply cancel and rebook…even though the cruise is only 30 days away and I would have lost my entire fare), transferred and disconnected, I called back and i fortunately reached to a very knowledgeable person. 

Yes, they would be happy to change my reservation. She then asked if I’m a FL resident, which I am, and she informed me I’m entitled to a 10% discount on the entire fare, so the upgrade after the reduction was in effect not much more I was originally paying. 

Bottom line after this long-winded post is that the website didn’t seem to mention or note a Florida resident discount (unless I missed it). So it paid for me to call. 

it’s listed on the deals page and links to

https://www.virginvoyages.com/cruise-deals/florida-resident-rate-offer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

I’m a FL resident, which I am, and she informed me I’m entitled to a 10% discount

This was very helpful. I called VV and was able to get my FL resident discount applied to my future booking. 

This board is sailor’s helping sailors and is very useful and informative. 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raphael360 said:

This was very helpful. I called VV and was able to get my FL resident discount applied to my future booking. 

This board is sailor’s helping sailors and is very useful and informative. 😊

Awesome!

49 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

This is another situation where a good travel agent should know all the "deals" available and nail in everything you are entitled to!

I’m finding it difficult if not impossible to find ANY TA who books VV (much less a good one). 

23 hours ago, 2018cruisefun said:

Go through a Travel Agent, who can select a cabin for you, or call Virgin and book through them. That's the only way to get a specific cabin.  We always go through a TA.