Alesund: RIB tour to Runde Island or Troll Road?

Greetings!  My husband and I are doing our first Norwegian Fjords cruise the first week of July this year.  I have all of our excursions planned out and purchased except for the port of Alesund.  Just for an idea of what we are already doing, details of our plans by port are as follows:

Bergen: No excursion, as we want one port of just walking around and exploring on our own.  From everything I have read, this is the best port for that.

Molde: Bergtatt Marble Caves excursion via the cruise line. I am a huge fan of caves and book cave tours whenever I have a change.  

Olden: Briksdal glacier tour w/ troll cars via an outside vendor.  For no other reason than lack of anything else that I can really book.  Would love to do the helicopter flightseeing excursion, but I can't get my husband on a helicopter.  

Skjolden: Nature walk excursion via the cruise line.  Almost did the llama walk, but not a huge fan of llamas so being able to take pictures instead of leading an animal around appeals to me.

Haugesund: Nothing planned, but this is the last port and we might be too tired to do anything by that day.  No excursions released by the cruise line for this port, at least not yet.  If anyone has any suggestions, though, I would love them!  I really can't find my info on this port.

The two excursions I am considering for Alesund are as follows:

Option #1: Trollstigen & Valldal tour via the cruise line for $299/person.  The price is extremely high, but I am all about splurging IF something is worth the money.  I know that Troll Road is extremely popular for Norway, but just not sure if it's such a "must do" that it justifies the cost.  This is an all day excursion that is mostly spent on a bus with brief stops along the way.

Option #2:Wildlife Sea Safari via an outside vendor for $185/person.  This is a 3.5 hour RIB boat tour that would take us to Runde Island to see the puffins (though no stopping on the island).  I am a HUGE birder, so seeing puffins in the wild is drawing me in.  Not 100% keen on a high speed boat, but I don't get sea sick and we have been on one before, so we know what to expect.  Bonus with this one is that since it is short, it gives us time to explore the port area.

Bottom line is that I am just really curious if Troll Road is something we absolutely should not miss out on.  Or if anyone knows of any longer excursions to Runde Island (where you would actually get off on the island) that they can recommend.  If we go with option 2, I wouldn't mind a longer version of it.  The RIB boat tour seems more of a thrill ride excursion vs a sightseeing tour.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

We wanted a shorter cruisetour so have booked Åndalsnes – The Troll Road and Troll Wall from norwayexcursions.com for 69 euros each.  Our port of Andalsnes may be closer than yours and right at the bottom of the Troll Road.

We are also doing the same Olden glacier tour as you but timing wasn't good for the troll cars.  Might get that on site if available and timing works.

Last time we were in Bergen bought an original lost wax silver necklace from a shop to the right of the crooked stairs next to the old port and fleece jackets we still use from a booth at the docks.  We were docked below the fort.  Lots of ships now dock farther east so these could be quite a walk.

Edited by LeeW
clarity
  • Like 2

except for the port of Alesund

We also toured the Troll Road and wall from Andalsnes.  Ours was quite expensive too, but I think Aldasnes is closer than Alesund so yours will be both longer and more expensive. We were very lucky that day it was bright and dry so we enjoyed the drive and the views.

The Troll Road is fabulous but, and it is a big but, if the weather is poor that day it won't be the same experience at all and as you won't know that until the day itself, it is a bit of a gamble to take..

Are you sure you want to tour anywhere at all from Alesund as it is such a pretty town with a number of very easy to visit sights,  ships dock in the centre and is a popular port stop  for cruise pax because of this..

There have been many past threads about Alesund and it might help you decide if you read them, and some of them have photos.

To find them easily, got to the general NORTHER EUROPE AND BALTIC SEA forum, not to any individual thread, insert the word ALESUND in the empty search box under your name, then hit the little spy glass and all previous thread will appear ready for you to read.  Works with your other port names too.

I think this fairly recent ALESUND thread is worth a look and an example of what you could find by searching as mentioned above;

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2826391-alesund-norway/#comment-62526938

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

We did thee trollroad ourselves by rental car. Avis has an office not too far from the cruise terminal in Alesund. We loved it, could stop where ever we wanted.

The easiest way to do it is against the clock since you then decend and not drive up.

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2023 at 7:03 AM, Ine said:

We did thee trollroad ourselves by rental car. Avis has an office not too far from the cruise terminal in Alesund. We loved it, could stop where ever we wanted.

The easiest way to do it is against the clock since you then decend and not drive up.

That sounds like a great idea. We are considering driving from Andalsnes, where our ship docks, assuming a rental car is available. Would you say driving was difficult (eg all the hairpin turns)? I know it’s a matter of opinion, but would be interested in your thoughts (or comments from others who have done this). Thank you!

2 hours ago, Retired2016Cruiser said:

That sounds like a great idea. We are considering driving from Andalsnes, where our ship docks, assuming a rental car is available. Would you say driving was difficult (eg all the hairpin turns)? I know it’s a matter of opinion, but would be interested in your thoughts (or comments from others who have done this). Thank you!

No not difficult at all if you - as suggested- drive to against the clock. Then you more or less decend all the time. The other way -clockwise- you will climb and probably miss some of the sights. I have no idea about a rental agency in Andalsness however, but google might help you with that. 

We started at around 9, made a lot of photo stops, had lunch and drinks enroute and incl. the stop in Mt.Aksla in Alesund were back at 5 pm. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 9:56 AM, edinburgher said:

Are you sure you want to tour anywhere at all from Alesund as it is such a pretty town with a number of very easy to visit sights,  ships dock in the centre and is a popular port stop  for cruise pax because of this..

That's a very good point, and I ended up booking the RIB boat.  It's a short excursion, so we will have plenty of time to also explore the port.  I just can't see doing Troll Road as a cruise excursion.  If we like Norway enough maybe we will do a land vacation and take our time and do it.

• Like 1