New to NCL this weekend. Two quick questions (pro-rated internet & drink package extra tipping)

at37000ft

After 18 years I find myself going on NCL again (Pearl).  I've never had a drink package before and the gratuities are included, but do people normally tip extra per drink when served or just go with the 20% already included? 

Second question, if I decide to take the internet package a couple days into the cruise, do they pro-rate the price based on how many days are left?

Thank you in advance!

If you have the drink package, 20% is automatically added when you book and pay for your cruise.  No other tip is required for your drinks.   We bring $1s with us to tip extra but, again, it is not required. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, annecolorgreen said:

I'm sorry-I can't answer your questions but have another.  I thought I read that an additional 20% would be added on even if you have the drink package?  I hope you are right!

6 hours ago, at37000ft said:

After 18 years I find myself going on NCL again (Pearl).  I've never had a drink package before and the gratuities are included, but do people normally tip extra per drink when served or just go with the 20% already included? 

Second question, if I decide to take the internet package a couple days into the cruise, do they pro-rate the price based on how many days are left?

Thank you in advance!

I know the internet can be prorated on the second day (midnight on the first evening) but believe it is only a short period that it is allowed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the Epic now.

Normal occupancy - 4100.

Our occupancy - 4600!! Total zoo.
We lay a tip on the bar in order to get service without waiting 10-15 minutes. Also tip a server who now stops by often.

You do what you have to in order to enhance your experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

On the Epic now.

Normal occupancy - 4100.

Our occupancy - 4600!! Total zoo.
We lay a tip on the bar in order to get service without waiting 10-15 minutes. Also tip a server who now stops by often.

You do what you have to in order to enhance your experience.

Thanks for the tip as we will be on the Epic this Sunday.  

Hope you are having a great time even with that crowd.   We expect the same next week, but we sailed the Escape during her first Christmas/New Years' cruise and believe nothing can top that.  

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Hope you are having a great time even with that crowd.   We expect the same next week, but we sailed the Escape during her first Christmas/New Years' cruise and believe nothing can top that.  

We will also be on this cruise. How do we find out how many will be sailing with us? 

2 minutes ago, Miss_Mono said:

We will also be on this cruise. How do we find out how many will be sailing with us? 

I made an educated guess that we will be at full capacity based on spring break, no cabins have been left on NCL to book for a while, and the last few sailings have been at full capacity.     I really hope I am wrong.   

13 hours ago, at37000ft said:

Have a wonderful cruise!

We always tip our bartender or bar waiter $1 per drink. We're creatures of habit (both bar and drink) and by night 2 of the cruise, even if there is a crowd, the bartenders are working on our drinks before we get up to the bar. One quick swipe of our card and we're on our way.... after leaving another couple of bucks. Same with waiters, they will stop by and ask if we want our favorite drinks often.

Normally, internet packages are priced per day and the unlimited package is available on Day 1 and 2. So, if you buy on Day 2, you will save a little money. We never bother and have unlimited internet as soon as we leave port. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Another tip - take the deck plan that you’re given onboard with you every time you leave your cabin. This is the most confusing ship layout we’ve ever encountered!! 

21 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Note re:boarding.

We went to pier after 11 last Sunday and had no problem with boarding.

About a 30 minute security line wait, and plenty of sign in folks - no wait at all there. 

Another tip - take the deck plan that you’re given onboard with you every time you leave your cabin. This is the most confusing ship layout we’ve ever encountered!! 

Thank you and hope you are having a great time.   

Note re:boarding.

We went to pier after 11 last Sunday and had no problem with boarding.

About a 30 minute security line wait, and plenty of sign in folks - no wait at all there. 

We are going to get there on the early side as we hope to board early with the Haven passengers.   

On 3/16/2023 at 5:17 AM, annecolorgreen said:

I'm sorry-I can't answer your questions but have another.  I thought I read that an additional 20% would be added on even if you have the drink package?  I hope you are right!

I’m guessing what you are thinking of are drinks that go over the $15 limit. If the drink is $17, you are charged $2 for the overage, plus $0.40 as a mandatory 20% service charge on the $2.