Luggage boarding in Southampton

newcruiser56

Hi everyone, 

I’m onboard Arvia soon from 2nd-16th April for the Easter Mediterranean cruise and I have a few questions regarding luggage. I printed off my luggage tags last night but was wondering, with boarding in Southampton, how many bags per passenger are allowed to be taken onboard? Is it the standard one case one hand luggage each or is it not as strict as flying to your departure? Obviously there won’t be the same liquids in hand luggage etc restrictions but is there anything important to know about luggage? 
Do we attach labels to every bag we bring onboard? 
Any alcohol and soft drinks being brought onboard within their policy, do they go in hand luggage?

Also any easy, cheap parking recommendations for 2 weeks would be amazing! 

16 minutes ago, newcruiser56 said:

Hi everyone, 

I’m onboard Arvia soon from 2nd-16th April for the Easter Mediterranean cruise and I have a few questions regarding luggage. I printed off my luggage tags last night but was wondering, with boarding in Southampton, how many bags per passenger are allowed to be taken onboard? Is it the standard one case one hand luggage each or is it not as strict as flying to your departure? Obviously there won’t be the same liquids in hand luggage etc restrictions but is there anything important to know about luggage? 
Do we attach labels to every bag we bring onboard? 
Any alcohol and soft drinks being brought onboard within their policy, do they go in hand luggage?

Also any easy, cheap parking recommendations for 2 weeks would be amazing! 

As many suitcases as you like, but ideally each one should not be over 23kg. You need to put a luggage tag on each case -we put two on each, to be safe!

No tags needed on hand luggage. 

Drinks can go anywhere. Normally it is safer to put them in your hand luggage.

If you are talking about parking for this Easter you have left it very, very late, so you will struggle. Try Parking4cruises.

If you have no joy, use the public multi storey at West Quay (£5 a day,) and take a taxi to the port.

If boarding in Southampton you can bring as much luggage as you like aboard, as long as it will all fit in your cabin and no one item weighs more than 20kg. You will be able to print off labels from your cruise personaliser about 2 weeks before you leave. Every piece of luggage must have a label or the handlers won't know which cabin to deliver it to. I would recommend any alcohol/drinks be kept in hand luggage or you might end up with very soggy clothing.

1 hour ago, newcruiser56 said:

We have found this on Southampton city council website but what do we think the likelihood of their being spaces available is? 

4CB33E56-F098-405E-B296-328F649D0521.png

If anyone on here could predict how many spaces would be available in a public car park on a given Sunday, they probably would have won the lottery several times over by now.😉

To your advantage though, it's a Sunday so shouldn't be busy with shoppers until later on in the morning. If any cruisers parking in any of those has disembarked that morning, they may have already returned to their vehicle by the time you park.

So, you really won't know until you enter the car park, but the chances are that you would likely get a space.

You may be as well dropping off the other passengers and luggage at the terminal before parking.

From Eastgate it will be about £7/8 in a taxi; if you're feeling fit it will take about fifteen minutes or les to walk.

Though you don't need to put luggage labels on your hand luggage, it might be a good idea to do so. Then if you do leave a bag somewhere during embarkation in a moment of forgetfulness, it's more likely to find its way back to you.

• Like 1

you have just discovered what for me is one of the joys of cruising: I can take as much stuff as I want with me, and anything awkward or messy (knitting, drink) I can carry on board myself.  Compared to flying it s a pleasure. and yes, agree with JH that labelling hand luggage is a good idea.