Still funny after all these years...

pierces

I ran into this image years ago and promised myself I would never be "that guy"...

Photographer with Many Cameras Stock Photo - Image of concentration, holding: 22050400

I have kept true to that promise by exercising remarkable self-control (with a strong assist from a lack of $30k worth of disposable income to blow on bodies and lenses).

Dave

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has to be a sports or events photographer, though you'd think he'd use bags to transport the cameras and lenses into a venue, in these times perhaps it either takes too long to get through a security check, or pac/unpack, or both.

So instead, you wear it all in? It's the knee pads that have me thinking he's going to work and be stuck in that position for a while, but perhaps while near the job, he wanted to capture something. Always on the lookout for a good shot.

• 2 weeks later...

The pro pitchside photographers I’ve been alongside tend to have 2 cameras with lenses (a 400mm and a 70-200mm depending on the specific sport) mounted during a game and may have a third setup for portrait shots pre/post for players with mascots or MVP presentations. Wheeled pelican-cases are commonly used as a pitchside desk for a laptop if they’ll be sending images back to base during a match. When I got a pink pelicase the lads started laughing until I asked if they’d want to be seen running off with it… it’s pretty rare to see a pink pelicase anywhere let alone in the middle of a rugby venue so anyone wandering off with it would be spotted very rapidly. It also came in handy when I was doing photography in Virginia at the height of the summer on an artificial pitch.. the pink doesn’t heat up half as much as the black cases do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, eileeshb said:

so anyone wandering off with it would be spotted very rapidly. It also came in handy when I was doing photography in Virginia at the height of the summer on an artificial pitch.. the pink doesn’t heat up half as much as the black cases do. 

This is brilliant on so many levels! I guess the only way they can ID their cases would be to sticker them up big time, otherwise a black case is a black case (filled with pricey kit 😂).

It kind of looks like a golf course (I hadn't noticed before) with that super close cut grass, lovely trees, and possibly a hint of a sand trap on the left side. Still can't figure why you'd need that many cameras and lenses, but with short and long range outdoor shots, maybe it might come into play on a big par 5?

If he's trying to land a big gig and wants an opportunity to capture shots for a portfolio, maybe that's why all the gear? But yeah, I remember seeing a photography "dream" type contest on TV, one in particular was a woman who wanted to be a sports photographer, so she was set up with about 3-4 top end Nikons (can't remember the year, so not sure which models) and an array of lenses, all of which she had slung around her, not unlike this guy though slightly less encumbered. Minus the kneepads, binoculars, and I think he's hauling his tripod? She went to shoot basketball and got some great shots. Can't remember if she got the job. 

Hats off to you as this is such a challenging type of photography to be great at because it's not about just taking photos, it's about finding the moments and the soul of the players/team, and doing it lightening quick, even anticipating moments and then getting a technically amazing shot that tells a phenomenal story. There must be some interesting stories in Rugby, and especially Irish Rugby ☘️... I believe it's just about everything in Ireland. 

Colleen

On 4/10/2023 at 10:58 PM, Host Bonjour said:

This is brilliant on so many levels! I guess the only way they can ID their cases would be to sticker them up big time, otherwise a black case is a black case (filled with pricey kit 😂).

It kind of looks like a golf course (I hadn't noticed before) with that super close cut grass, lovely trees, and possibly a hint of a sand trap on the left side. Still can't figure why you'd need that many cameras and lenses, but with short and long range outdoor shots, maybe it might come into play on a big par 5?

If he's trying to land a big gig and wants an opportunity to capture shots for a portfolio, maybe that's why all the gear? But yeah, I remember seeing a photography "dream" type contest on TV, one in particular was a woman who wanted to be a sports photographer, so she was set up with about 3-4 top end Nikons (can't remember the year, so not sure which models) and an array of lenses, all of which she had slung around her, not unlike this guy though slightly less encumbered. Minus the kneepads, binoculars, and I think he's hauling his tripod? She went to shoot basketball and got some great shots. Can't remember if she got the job. 

Hats off to you as this is such a challenging type of photography to be great at because it's not about just taking photos, it's about finding the moments and the soul of the players/team, and doing it lightening quick, even anticipating moments and then getting a technically amazing shot that tells a phenomenal story. There must be some interesting stories in Rugby, and especially Irish Rugby ☘️... I believe it's just about everything in Ireland. 

Colleen

I was lucky enough to be at a couple of truly historical matches in Irish rugby. The most significant was when the Irish women beat their New Zealand counterparts at the World Cup in 2014, oddly from the players perspective their favourite of the pictures I took was the Irish try scorer hugging her fiancée at the end of the game. I also turned down a pitchside spot for the Munster v New Zealand match in 2008 because I knew it would be a war zone and I had a front row seat in the stand so I got the best shot of the Munster Haka pre match as I wasn’t having to battle with all the other photographers or tv crew. That picture went out to all the supporters club members as one of the members gifts the following season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 7:17 PM, eileeshb said:

from the players perspective their favourite of the pictures I took was the Irish try scorer hugging her fiancée at the end of the game

These are the best photos, you see all the emotions, hard work, sacrifice in those frames. While capturing memorable shots of great action on the pitch or wherever in any sport is a special talent, it's possible other photographers will get the same shot (or something very similar). Not so common are these shots, like the one you caught after the match: they both knew what it took for her to get to that moment, so it must have been an incredible capture. 

On 4/11/2023 at 7:17 PM, eileeshb said:

so I got the best shot of the Munster Haka pre match as I wasn’t having to battle with all the other photographers or tv crew. That picture went out to all the supporters club members as one of the members gifts the following season. 

What a phenomenal honor! For you and the Munster players: they have one of the most powerful rituals in sport preserved by you, and for you, it speaks to the depth of your artistry. Well done you.

I hope you're still out there making work, if not still at matches (I get how that could be intense to keep up for years and years) somewhere that makes you feel good. Work like this needs to be out there and seen. 🤩🤩

Glad you're here among us to share stories!

• Like 1