Juneau

Sky622

For me it’s not even close – whale watching and salmon bake.

The salmon bake is a relaxing, informal, delicious excursion. I don’t know if it’s more crowded now than in past years, or if they still use the old school buses to transfer you over, but I always loved it. Some of the best salmon and cornbread I can remember. And there’s usually a musician playing guitar singing folk songs.

Whale watching is exactly what it sounds like, and with conservation programs working well, it’s more and more likely you’ll definitely see some whales.

I did both on one day.  We went to glacier first on our own then did an excursion with whale watching and Salmon bake.  We are going back to glacier when we return in 2024.  The whale watching, while nice, was too far to see the whales as bigger boats have to keep a certain distance.  The salmon bake was pretty good but you eat and then done in 30 minutes.  We liked all 3 but our favorite was the glacier.  You can whale watch in other ports and have salmon at other spots but can only see that glacier 1x.  

There are better glaciers than Mendenhall. If you’re going to Skagway, there’s a Pilot’s Choice helicopter that lands on two different glaciers plus the ice fields. If you’re going to Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier, those too are better than Mendenhall.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! We are also doing this in Seward...how much is too much...lol

4 Hour Kenai Fjords Wildlife Cruise: Limited on time but still want to explore? The 4 Hour Kenai Fjords Wildlife Cruise gives you the convenience of choosing a half-day departure time that fits your schedule. Explore the wildlife and stunning scenery in the calm waters of Resurrection Bay on this small-vessel cruise. Rather than following a set route, this cruise travels to the best whale and wildlife viewing areas that day based on reports from other vessels.

16 hours ago, Sky622 said:

Thanks everyone! We are also doing this in Seward...how much is too much...lol

4 Hour Kenai Fjords Wildlife Cruise: Limited on time but still want to explore? The 4 Hour Kenai Fjords Wildlife Cruise gives you the convenience of choosing a half-day departure time that fits your schedule. Explore the wildlife and stunning scenery in the calm waters of Resurrection Bay on this small-vessel cruise. Rather than following a set route, this cruise travels to the best whale and wildlife viewing areas that day based on reports from other vessels.

The Kenai Fjords cruises in Seward are amazing. I prefer the longer the better. If you can only do 4 hours, then do it but if you can do all day - even better.

Mendenhall is very underwhelming to me. Not worth a visit sadly.

We have done all three of the things you mentioned.  Our whale watching trip was incredible, and the whales were super close bubble-net feeding.  It couldn't be beat.  At the glacier - one poster is correct - the glacier is not spectacular ... but it is nice, the visitor centre is also nice - the boardwalk near the centre was the highlight however because we saw a family of bears scooping salmon out of the stream.  And the salmon bake was very good eating - but nothing spectacular.  If I had to choose again, I would pick them in that order - whale watching - glacier - salmon bake.