LIVE REPORT from Riviera - NEVER AGAIN!

brobin111

IMHO: Lectures were much better. There was only 1 speaker on Oceania and he wasn't very good. Five excellent speakers on Viking. Food was much better in the Italian restaurant and the MDR. Did't care for Chefs Table on Viking. Entertainment was much better on Viking and you could see from the seats to the stage. The afternoon tea was exceptional on Viking, Public spaces are better on Oceania.

Cruise ratings are based on what the critic thinks what's important to them and based on the particlar cruise. Take a B2B and you might have different reactions to the ship. I absolutely will take another Oceania cruise, but I prefer Viking based on my sample.

• Like 1

Yes it is amazing how differently you can see the same product...

On Viking this week, the most boring lectures of all our 55 plus cruises...whereas on O I was enthralled by the lecturer on our last cruise in Jan, a retired diplomat, who in detail explained the Cuban missile crisis, how it took 3 captains on the Russian nuclear sub to push the button and only two said yes....this is just one example of the quality of lecturers on V, there were 2 others, equally as captivating...

I have plenty of time to write posts on this cruise as there is nothing else to do on this ship...and No incentives to do it, except for intrinsic ones...

As for food, this will be the only cruise on which weight gain will not be an issue....powdered orange juice,  tasteless scones,  at tea time, not a single decaf tea to be found, the worst ice cream I have ever tasted......and in the buffet everyone serving themselves and handling all utensils....

Number 1, much more like number 10, even that is a stretch.

35 minutes ago, Orator said:

IMHO: Lectures [on Viking] were much better. There was only 1 speaker on Oceania and he wasn't very good. Five excellent speakers on Viking.

7 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Yes it is amazing how differently you can see the same product... On Viking this week, the most boring lectures of all our 55 plus cruises...whereas on O I was enthralled by the lecturer on our last cruise in Jan, a retired diplomat, who in detail explained the Cuban missile crisis, how it took 3 captains on the Russian nuclear sub to push the button and only two said yes....this is just one example of the quality of lecturers on V, there were 2 others, equally as captivating...

Just be thankful you had/have lectures.

No lecturer on Riviera 12/13-23/2021, W. Caribbean. But I mentioned this on the mid-cruise survey and the CD told me how to find old lectures in the video library accessible by TV. Which I did.

Had one lecturer on Sirena 11/18-28/2022, E. Caribbean. Attended all of them. Asked questions, engaged with her before, during and after them. She is a university professor whose family background was in the Caribbean. Quite good, though some A-V issues for some of the early lectures. Thinking she had 5 presentations.

11 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Yes it is amazing how differently you can see the same product...

On Viking this week, the most boring lectures of all our 55 plus cruises...whereas on O I was enthralled by the lecturer on our last cruise in Jan, a retired diplomat, who in detail explained the Cuban missile crisis, how it took 3 captains on the Russian nuclear sub to push the button and only two said yes....this is just one example of the quality of lecturers on V, there were 2 others, equally as captivating...

I have plenty of time to write posts on this cruise as there is nothing else to do on this ship...and No incentives to do it, except for intrinsic ones...

As for food, this will be the only cruise on which weight gain will not be an issue....powdered orange juice,  tasteless scones,  at tea time, not a single decaf tea to be found, the worst ice cream I have ever tasted......and in the buffet everyone serving themselves and handling all utensils....

Number 1, much more like number 10, even that is a stretch.

Every cruise is different even on the same ship. Crew changes and protein delivered to the ship might lead to a different experience. The Head Chef makes a difference. The Officers, especially the Captain do make a difference. The CD makes a difference. 

7 hours ago, Orator said:

Every cruise is different even on the same ship. Crew changes and protein delivered to the ship might lead to a different experience. The Head Chef makes a difference. The Officers, especially the Captain do make a difference. The CD makes a difference. 

But cruise line as whole, they only get a one chance to impress their paying pax.

One and done might sound harsh but after spending many thousands $ with many hours of planning left with dispointment why give them a another chance .

On 3/25/2023 at 12:22 PM, KimKM said:

That's great! I'm happy that it worked out for them. There was a lovely couple that we met, who were continuing on the cruise, and were hopeful that Bermuda would happen for them. I'm sure they enjoyed it.

I read about March being a bad time to visit Bermuda on legitimate weather and cruise sites (including this one). I'm not sure how my posting my experience on this cruise has opened me up to your particular criticism and, frankly, insults. I wasn't asking for O to refund a dime. I didn't want them to sail into unsafe waters. I wanted communication, a feeling of planning for this type of situation, and good food would have been nice. I didn't expect special treatment.

It's funny, I've been cruising since before my husband retired, and never had any occasion to post here, except to ask a small question early on. I love cruising. The first time that I post about a truly disappointing experience, I'm made to feel like a spoiled child. You don't have to approve, it's MY OPINION and experience. Amazingly, different people can have different opinions. It's possible!

I will cruise again, soon (this year), just not with O. I wish you all well in your cruising, and future travels.

We WERE on the same cruise and will sail Oceania again...but I do totally agree with your sentiment about the fact that the responses that you have received have been impolite at times.  But I have found this to be the case on this particular board on many occasions.  Best of you with your future cruises!