NCL sailing from Portsmouth, UK

We sailed from there last year on a Virgin cruise. It's a lot smaller than Southampton, and it was when all the Covid testing was still going on, so boarding was a bit different to how it would normally be.

I do remember it being a bus from the terminal to the ship though, and an extremely steep gangplank to board (don't know if that's specific to Portsmouth or the Virgin ship).

Lots of cruise lines call at Portsmouth. Oceania Saga Viking Tui Seabourne Virgin etc. It has recently had its berths extended in size and work is on going on the terminal buildings. Currently you have to use a coach to reach the ship from the terminal buildings as you transit through  the cargo area which is less than optimal. 

Why do you like Dover?

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Portsmouth, there is plenty do see and do Pre and Post cruise . Charles Dickens was born in Portsmouth and there is a museum not far from cruise port , there is a very good Royal Naval Museum, with King Henry Vlll’s Warship, Lord Nelson’s ship HMS Victory  , HMS Warrior 1860 pride of Queen Victoria’s fleet and so much more . 

We just booked the Star from this port in 2024, sounds like it is a work in progress.  We are interested in any information.  Is it better to come from London after flying over and stay at a hotel in Portsmouth, before the cruise, how far is it from London ?   We are also considering taking the Queen Mary transatlantic to South Hampton, how far is it from there ?  

8 hours ago, JCMass. said:

We just booked the Star from this port in 2024, sounds like it is a work in progress.  We are interested in any information.  Is it better to come from London after flying over and stay at a hotel in Portsmouth, before the cruise, how far is it from London ?   We are also considering taking the Queen Mary transatlantic to South Hampton, how far is it from there ?  

Portsmouth to Southampton (not South Hampton) is just over 20 miles.  It's about an hour by train but it's not direct.   London to Portsmouth is 75 miles.   There's direct trains to Portsmouth and Portsmouth Harbour from London Waterloo. 

• Like 1

Did Portsmouth in Dec. only one so far so research was limited things I noted. 

Far from ideal  they need to fix a few things for bigger ships.

The terminal is small no decent waiting area.

You get bused from terminal to berth(efficient service loads of buses)
The berth we used required very steep ramp.

Parking options not as good as Southampton.

National Express LHR go via Southampton or Victoria  so quite a bit longer.

Good 

easy access to the port if driving

Portsmouth has plenty of things to do for pre/post days.

Hotels can be a bit cheaper, Southampton prices go up a lot when lots of ships in.

Did not look at trains.

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Did Portsmouth in Dec. only one so far so research was limited things I noted. 

Far from ideal  they need to fix a few things for bigger ships.

The terminal is small no decent waiting area.

You get bused from terminal to berth(efficient service loads of buses)
The berth we used required very steep ramp.

Parking options not as good as Southampton.

National Express LHR go via Southampton or Victoria  so quite a bit longer.

Good 

easy access to the port if driving

Portsmouth has plenty of things to do for pre/post days.

Hotels can be a bit cheaper, Southampton prices go up a lot when lots of ships in.

Did not look at trains.

This is very helpful, I think we traveled together on HAL from Boston to Iceland and Greenland last summer.  

On 3/18/2023 at 9:26 AM, stephenSJ said:

Why do you like Dover?

So much to do.  Dover Castle with the underground bunkers with animated effects in the hospital where GIs were evacuated for care,  white cliff boat tours, other castles nearby and Canterbury Cathedral is nearby.   We went to 8:00 am mass there in one of the chapels and it was so special.  Very easy to walk around and navigate.   We cruised from there four or five times and always enjoyed our time there.

Im not complaining about Southampton, it was fine, I just enjoyed the history of Dover and watching the Chanel from our balcony with. Glass of wine.

On 3/30/2023 at 7:54 AM, insidecabin said:

Not me, not done HAL yet.

I just checked their screen name was The Inside Cabin, not much different.  Thanks for the information, we have some planning to do, which I enjoy ! 

At the present time there are 2 direct trains a hour from Southampton to Portsmouth one takes 40 mins the other 58 mins . We have 3 train stations in  Portsmouth . Fratton , Portsmouth & Southsea , Portsmouth Harbour, depending were you plan to stay . Also there is National Express Coach which takes 1 hour, cheaper than the train .