Musings from Covid isolation

CoolBeansVA

2 hours ago, Tidalmist said:

It is nearly impossible to obtain Paxlovid here in Canada. We certainly cannot get a prescription of it filled for travel. What to do in this case?

Just as you do at home (well certainly in the UK) which is ride it out, speak to a doctor if you’re at risk of have severe symptoms and stay away from others until symptoms cease. Seems to be working fine this way in the UK without excessive pill popping. Doctors don’t want immunity to Paxlovid to extend into the community as has happened with some excessively used antibiotics.  Paxlovid is kept for those who are medically assessed as needing drug support during covid.  Current estimates are that is less than 5% of sufferers. For them, absolutely they get it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tidalmist said:

It is nearly impossible to obtain Paxlovid here in Canada. We certainly cannot get a prescription of it filled for travel. What to do in this case?

Provided you are fully vaccinated and boosted, similar to the vast majority of us, you don't require any anti-viral medications. Even DW, who has other respiratory issues didn't require hospitalisation or anti-viral meds. Personally, unless I was admitted to ICU, I don't want the medication, as the side effects can be worse.

• Like 6

"Request Paxlovid for its 86% risk reduction of being hospitalized or dying."

Sounds impressive but let's break it down.  If 10,000 people got covid, at this point, how many are likely to be hospitalized or die?

100?  500?

Let's say it's 100.  So, with Paxlovid, you reduce that number to around 60 rather than 100.  But even without the drug, 9900 wouldn't be hospitalized or die.  With the drug, 9940 wouldn't be hospitalized or die.  Not so impressive anymore.  Especially when you factor in side effects from the medicine for people who had no risk of being hospitalized or dying.  You need to look beyond the 86% risk reduction number and understand the underlying numbers.

If you are old and sick, the risks make more sense. 

We readily got Paxlovid for our recent bout with Covid and the only side effect was the metal taste in your mouth. It’s given in our area for those who are at risk of severe illness (with that lovely phrase of “co-morbidities”) and/or over 65. It’s designed to keep you out of the hospital. I don’t think it’s given to those with severe illness already in the hospital. You’re supposed to take it for mild or moderate illness within five days of symptoms.

These boards have also indicated that Viking doesn’t carry Paxlovid. When I asked my doctor about taking a prescription with us for our anticipated European travels this month, she said our health system does not do that. She said she thought we could get it where we were traveling (Italy & Greece). Maybe, but I have my doubts as I read that the EU has doses but it’s in short supply.

Happy Easter!

🐇

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

These boards have also indicated that Viking doesn’t carry Paxlovid. When I asked my doctor about taking a prescription with us for our anticipated European travels this month, she said our health system does not do that. She said she thought we could get it where we were traveling (Italy & Greece). Maybe, but I have my doubts as I read that the EU has doses but it’s in short supply.

Happy Easter!

🐇

There's plenty of everything, but nothing (other than basic OTC stuff) is available on demand. You get a medication if a doctor thinks the benefits outweigh the risks, and if it is likely to make a large amount of difference to the outcome

• Like 1