Wonder of the Seas one entree rule ?

firts

2 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I did.  If you want to load up on food for dinner, the buffet is available, but if you eat in the main dining room, you get one serving at a time.  You won't go hungry

No that is totally not the point!

It is not about the amount of food at all!

Sometimes you want to eat some meals together.....such as Steak and pasta or the something like that!

And there is no reason why they can't serve that together - but anyway I'm sure they will serve together what I want to be served together.....

They don't want a big scene disrupting their service!

4 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

No that is totally not the point!

It is not about the amount of food at all!

Sometimes you want to eat some meals together.....such as Steak and pasta or the something like that!

And there is no reason why they can't serve that together - but anyway I'm sure they will serve together what I want to be served together.....

They don't want a big scene disrupting their service!

Just a reminder that they are workers providing a service as instructed. Harassing your server to bring you what you want is really selfish. It isn’t as if you don’t understand the new rules. You should approach with the appropriate expectations and all will be well. Causing a scene just makes everyone around you uncomfortable. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Do you have kids?  If so, have you ever used the line "because I said so"?  

RCI doesn't NEED a reason why they can't serve two entrees at the same time.  Their house, their rules.  Now, I REALLY get the feeling you're a "key board" warrior, and while you may complain, I doubt you'd "make a scene" like you keep claiming you will.  If it's really that big a deal that you get both entrees at the same time or you're going to throw a fit like a toddler, I suggest finding another cruise line, or you may be FORCED to.  

We also aren't guests invited over to someone's house for dinner.  We pay to cruise, and we pay a pretty penny.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HappyTexan44 said:

We also aren't guests invited over to someone's house for dinner.  We pay to cruise, and we pay a pretty penny.  

So does that entitle you to save pool chairs?  Does that entitle you to cut in line?  Does that entitle you to bring on prohibited items?  Does that entitle you to damage your room (or any part of the cruise ship)? Does that entitle you to use the slides whenever you want (regardless of whether they're closed)? 

I mean if you "pay a pretty penny", you can do whatever you want whenever you want, right?  If you disagree with a rule, or policy, just break it?  I mean you've paid for it, right? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firts said:

My issue is rather simple, Sometimes my husband and I like to order one of the pasta entrees Alongside our individually chosen entree. Not always sometimes.  Sorrento's pizza does not make you finish 1 slice of pizza before you can go up and get another. Just my personal issue.

LOL

...Not yet !

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

No, but reasonable requests should be accommodated.   Particularly ones that don't impact other people, and were even encouraged earlier this year.   Being treated like a child because I'd want to eat my lobster and steak at the same time is completely unacceptable.  

I get you disagree with it and find their rule "unacceptable".  I have no problem with that.  What I have a problem with is people CLAIMING they're going to "make a scene" if they don't get their way.  If you don't like the way a company does business, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheBucketLister said:

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer it one at a time.  That way while I am eating one, the other is not sitting on the table getting cold.  I prefer to enjoy each dish as it is presented.  I have never been a fan of nibbling on different dishes at the same time.

Totally agree.  My wife and I love lobster with drawn butter. Under the old system, on Lobster night we would order 2 lobster tails at once.  They'd always bring a second, completely separate meal and put them in front of us.  I hated it because the second meal got cold and all I/we really wanted was the second lobster tail.  I'd ask for them to be delivered separately.  But, being observant, I saw that they just put the second plate on the waiter's station work area until we finished the first plate and deliver them.

As an aside, my wife just told me that in another social media site she visits, they are saying/complaining that passengers can no longer go to one specialty restaurant and order a meal from another.  We used to do it all along.  My one granddaughter is a very picky eater, so she, only wanted to have JR hamburger(s) and they'd deliver it to her while we were in Chops, Izumi or Jamies, or wherever.  It was never a problem for her/us.  

2 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

That is what they do today - they only bully you to not have both plates

at the same time if you request that!

I'm not taking sides here.  But, I have to say that I don't appreciate people that get loud, and/or boisterous, and/or belligerent, for any reason.  BUT, I also don't like getting less than expected service, and I understand the frustration.  If I get frustrated, I'd ask to speak to the manager of the venue and talk to him/her.  If I know I'm going to get emotional about it, I'll suggest moving to a private or out-of-the-way location.  Again, that's not to take sides, just my way of doing things.

Having said that, I've never, ever, not once felt bullied on a cruise.  YMMV

7 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So does that entitle you to save pool chairs?  Does that entitle you to cut in line?  Does that entitle you to bring on prohibited items?  Does that entitle you to damage your room (or any part of the cruise ship)? Does that entitle you to use the slides whenever you want (regardless of whether they're closed)? 

I mean if you "pay a pretty penny", you can do whatever you want whenever you want, right?  If you disagree with a rule, or policy, just break it?  I mean you've paid for it, right? 

Well said.  There's many rules on cruise ships that people follow without throwing temper tantrums when they don't get their way.

13 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

But all of those rules have some reason to it - the "one plate rule" is just a bully without any reason!

What makes you think that there is no reason for it?  Just because you don't know the reason doesn't mean there isn't one.  I'm sure all of the maitre d's on all of the ships didn't just randomly decide to implement this on their own.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

What makes you think that there is no reason for it?  Just because you don't know the reason doesn't mean there isn't one.  I'm sure all of the maitre d's on all of the ships didn't just randomly decide to implement this on their own.

Good point - Will be nice to hear the reason!

If it is a good reason ...so be it!

I just don't see any possible reason....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Good point - Will be nice to hear the reason!

If it is a good reason ...so be it!

I just don't see any possible reason....

What 99.9% of business decisions come down to... $$$.

So here's my theory...

Royal thinks they are spending too much money on the 2nd entrees.  The spacing them out is an attempt not incur the added costs.  Continuing my theory (before someone says they make all the dinners ahead of time)... let's say for the sake of argument there are 500 people eating in the MDR in a given night.  Let's say 10% order dual entrees... so they are serving 550 entrees.  They think that by requiring the "one at a time" rule, they will cut down on the number of dual entrees ordered.  I'm guessing it will probably be by more than 50%, but we'll say 50%.  So now they only serve 525 entrees.  That's 25 entrees they don't have to fix every night, on every ship.  That's a savings.

Yes, all of my numbers are made up.  But it's a theory on why they may have made the rule.  Agree or disagree, it's still Royal's right to decide how they run a business.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So here's my theory...

Royal thinks they are spending too much money on the 2nd entrees.  The spacing them out is an attempt not incur the added costs.  Continuing my theory (before someone says they make all the dinners ahead of time)... let's say for the sake of argument there are 500 people eating in the MDR in a given night.  Let's say 10% order dual entrees... so they are serving 550 entrees.  They think that by requiring the "one at a time" rule, they will cut down on the number of dual entrees ordered.  I'm guessing it will probably be by more than 50%, but we'll say 50%.  So now they only serve 525 entrees.  That's 25 entrees they don't have to fix every night, on every ship.  That's a savings.

Yes, all of my numbers are made up.  But it's a theory on why they may have made the rule.  Agree or disagree, it's still Royal's right to decide how they run a business.   

Maybe - but how are you going to argue that with a customer?

If you are the maitre what do you tell the guy that orders 2 main and wants them at the same time....?

13 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So here's my theory...

While that makes sense, you wonder how closely the kitchen follows that forecasting. Based on your hypothetical scenario, do they only make up to 625 and then stop, and then make to order each dish after that where their forecasting was off?  Or to play it safe do they still make 650?  If they still make what they were originally making then there is no cost savings as the food is still wasted.

I am guessing the bean counters at corporate think that way, but you wonder if in implementation it actually works and really does save money. 🤷‍♂️  I am guessing the cost savings is no where near what they forecasted, unless they are really monitoring it on an individual dish basis in the kitchen.

Edited by TheBucketLister
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheBucketLister said:

While that makes sense, you wonder how closely the kitchen follows that forecasting. Based on your hypothetical scenario, do they only make up to 625 and then stop, and then make to order each dish after that where their forecasting was off?  Or to play it safe do they still make 650?  If they still make what they were originally making then there is no cost savings as the food is still wasted.

When I was a kid in High School, I worked at  FLL catering airlines, that's back when they served actual meals to their customers, even on domestic flights.   If a flight was serving, let's say, a choice of Chicken or Steak, they had an algorithm that told them what %age wanted Chicken and what % wanted Steak.  It was very reliable.  I'm sure with this new "one plate at a time" policy they will come up with a very accurate %age of how many people are going to want more than one place.  But, it's hard to do if everybody doesn't abide by the policy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

I'm not playing that game

Not a game just don't undestand what you are trying to say!

Putting 2 plates on the table or put 1 plate on the table and hold 1 at the station for after the first is finished does not have any impact on the kitchen.....

18 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Maybe - but how are you going to argue that with a customer?

If you are the maitre what do you tell the guy that orders 2 main and wants them at the same time....?

Really?  Give me a hard one.

Customer: I want my two entrees at the same time.

RCI Employee:  I'm sorry sir, company policy prevents us from doing that.

Customer: I need a reason!

Employee: Company policy has changed and we're no longer able to do that.

Customer: (louder) How dare you!  I paid a lot of money for this cruise and I want my food when *I* want it. 

Employee: I'm sorry, we're not allowed to do that.

Customer:  (louder) If you don't give me my food when I want it, I am going to hold my breath until I pass out.

Employee: I'm sorry, we can't do that.

Customer: (Screaming) Give me my food!

Employee on radio: Security, we need assistance in the MDR.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Not a game just don't undestand what you are trying to say!

Putting 2 plates on the table or put 1 plate on the table and hold 1 at the station for after the first is finished does not have any impact on the kitchen.....

Again, if they cut down on how many people order the second entree (because who wants it cold, right?), then they've succeeded.  If they start delivering two entrees at once, then you get arguments "well, you did it for him!" and there's no point in the policy after you break it. 

12 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Really?  Give me a hard one.

Customer: I want my two entrees at the same time.

RCI Employee:  I'm sorry sir, company policy prevents us from doing that.

Customer: I need a reason!

Customer: (louder) How dare you!  I paid a lot of money for this cruise and I want my food when *I* want it. 

Employee: I'm sorry, we're not allowed to do that.

Customer:  (louder) If you don't give me my food when I want it, I am going to hold my breath until I pass out.

Employee: I'm sorry, we can't do that.

Customer: (Screaming) Give me my food!

Employee on radio: Security, we need assistance in the MDR.

That is not how it goes and you know that......they alway want you to be happy they never say no...

But that is very unprofessional of you - it does not make any difference if you serve 2 at the same time or one after the other!

Very loud :So you bully your customers and then come around and beg for 10's that is not going to happen.....how can you expect anybody to be happy with the service when you are treating them this way...

But enough of that - just some pushback is necessary....it is not a hard rule as reported many times only the sheep fall for it.

Edited by cruiseboy89130