First time on cruise - sailing on the Jewel

ctalldog

This is our group's first time ever going on a cruise. Leaving March 26, 2006. We are staying in inside rooms, Cat KK Room 5559, 5561 or 5563? If anyone has stayed down there, can you tell me how good/bad these rooms are? 3 girls are staying in one of these rooms... any tips on how we won't kill each other by the end of the 7 days? how much storage room is there in this inside room? Where would the luggage go to be stored once unpacked? Anyone with phots of these 3 person inside rooms?

Also, has anyone booked shore excursions on their own? Who is the most trustworthy and safe company outside of the ship? How do you go about booking these on your own?

Is there a link showing the interior of the bars there? I saw one photo of a bar that looked really tiny.... Any bars with dance floors?

Also, I see there are self-serving laundry rooms.... How much does it cost to use these? Just wondering how many rolls of quarters to bring.... Should we bring our own detergent?

I read some threads where you can purchase self-serve bars, but I see only bottles of liquor being bought.... what about beer? can you buy say a case for cheaper than buying them individually?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, but we are total virgin cruisers....

Thank you so much for your patience.

ctalldog - welcome to CruiseCritic! You've come to the right place for answers - but I'm not sure we can handle answers to so many questions all at once! :p

I'll try to help a bit.

1.) You won't kill each other - you'll spend most of your time outside of the cabin. Just try to stagger your "getting ready" time so you're not all vying for the shower all at once, etc.

2.) There are small little bars all over ships - it helps to keep an "intimate feel". Fear not, there are larger bars as well, and yes, there are dance floors too! ;)

3.) Luggage gets stowed under the beds. Try to nest little ones inside bigger ones, then just slide them right under!

4.) You might want to check out the individual boards for each port of call for information about shore excursions. You'll find lots of great advice, and usually some wonderful recommendations for reputable tour operators!

5,) Laundry equipment is free. Detergent is $1 per box, which will do one load. No need to bring tons of quarters, no need to bring detergent.

6.) No deals on beers

7.) Check out the roll call boards to meet others who are on your sailing! It's great to make more friends even before you board!

Hope this helps! Spend as much time here reading as you possibly can. There's a wealth of information here.

Happy sailing!

Hi and Welcome! This is my first cruise on the Jewel so I don't have too many details for you. But, check out this site http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/NCL/ncljewel.htm. Choose your deck number and then your room number and you'll get to see what your room will look like. Also.. WaldosPepper is right READ THESE BOARDS! You will learn tons. I've been reading them since October and have gotten so many tips! Most of all just have fun:D

I believe your questions have somewhat been answered. There is one particular area which is known as bar city I believe where they are several small bars. It's a great place to hear piano music or just relax and visit. The observation lounge has a very nice dance floor and a great view. Michaels is another nice bar, a little larger than those in bar city, but I don't remember if there is a dance floor.

Don't worry about storage space in your cabin, if you use some packing hints listed here you will do just fine. Do try to remember not to overpack. Also this is one time when the shoe bag over the door would come in very handy. You will be crowded but other than sleeping and getting ready for the days activities or night time you won't be in your cabin much at all.

The laundry facilities are on deck 5, your deck and 3 other decks. The question of cost has been answered. BTW the $1 soap boxes will do 2 batches even though the box says 1.

Bar set up is for hard liquor only: sorry about that one.

Have a great time, you will love the ship. NMnita

Thank you all so much for answering my questions.... we are a bit nervous being our first time and all....

We will be a group of seven 40 year olds..... how do you know what there is to do on the days we are just sailing? I've heard other cruise ships slide a sheet of daily activities under it.... Does the Jewel have something like this? What kinds of activities are listed? I don't want to pay for this trip and just be stuck sitting there doing nothing or doing something I could be doing at my own health club (as in just lounging around the pool all day), you know? We are a group that likes to cut up and have fun (we are cajuns from Lafayette, Louisiana).

Also, anyone ever been down low like we are? Does it smell down there on Deck or is it super noisy? One more question (for now anyway), is it cold in the inside rooms?

c'

Welcome back!

More answers:

Freestyle Daily is the newsletter that will be delivered to your stateroom each evening, detailing everything that will be available for the following day. If four pages of activities and info is not enough - well, you get the idea :D

Cabins on lower decks do not smell, are generally not noisy, and like all cabins onboard have individual climate controls - keep the temperature where ever it's comfortable for you! :)

Hubby and I are in our forties, and we've never, ever been even remotely bored on a cruise - y'all are in for the time of your lives!!!!!!! :D

Michaels is another nice bar, a little larger than those in bar city, but I don't remember if there is a dance floor.

Hi NMNita, I'm confused. Where is Michaels?

I remember Fyzz, Star Bar, Bar City (Magnums, Maltings & Shakers), Spinnaker, Topsiders Bar, the Sky High Bar,

but I don't remember anywhere called Michaels....

Hi NMNita, I'm confused. Where is Michaels?

I remember Fyzz, Star Bar, Bar City (Magnums, Maltings & Shakers), Spinnaker, Topsiders Bar, the Sky High Bar,

but I don't remember anywhere called Michaels....

there is no Michaels, that's the bar on the Zenith where my granddaughter got married in December; I don't know if it is old age or too many different ships setting in: I was thinking of Shakers I beleive. Thanks for catching that one. LOL

Ok, thank you guys so much for answering questions. Just a few more stupid ones, if you don't mind:

I know there are no jeans or shorts allowed in the dining rooms after 6:00 (except a couple of the restaurants). What about shoes? Can everyone, men and women, wear sandals and flip flops in there? Also, do they allow shorts and jeans inside the bars after dining?

It also says no tank tops.... is this for women? Like what is their definition of a tank top? Tanks are very dressy now.... would they consider a sleeveless shirt a tank top? I've read where some people say the dining rooms and the bars are pretty cold anyway, but I was just wondering what their definition of a tank top was for women. The guys in our group will not wear that anyway. It was the women inquiring more.....

One more, can you pay off the "credit card" used for everything on the ship with any remaining travelers checks instead of having a huge balance put on your credit card?

Thank you so much everyone!

:) CLAUDETTE

Norweigen Jewel - 3-26-06

Hi Claudette,

Yes, you can pay down your balance with cash or travelers checks at any time during the cruise. :)

Tank tops - if dressy and nicely combined as part of an outfit, will probably be ok, but beware - you're likely to freeze your butt off (or your neck more likely) every time the AC kicks in while you're dining. It can get rather chilly down the back of the neck! :eek:

Nice sandals are ok, but flip-flops are a no-no at dinner in the dining rooms.

Shorts and jeans in the bars are fine, but again you might be a bit chilly. :)

You can pay down your on board account at any time. We once won $100 on crack it tickets and went right down with the cash and put it on our account. It's a good idea to check your account mid week and see just how much fun you are having! Dressy tanks are fine for women. I wear dressy sandals for dinner. I don't think there is any real "dress code" for the bars after dinner. We were on the Jewel for the week of Feb 12. You will love your cruise.

The jeans/shorts have never (at least to my knowledge so I might be wrong) been addressed outside of the dining rooms after dinner. You really do want to think about those tank tops though (both men and women)....sometimes it does get really cool (sometimes almost darn right cold) in some of the areas of the ship. We've seen a lot of Dockers/Capris/Casual Slacks in the evening as well as some t-shirts (the nicer kind...my son has some that look like a plain t-shirt but are actually silk) but mostly polo style shirts on the guys and casual style shirts/tops on the ladies.

You can "pay off" your onboard account by going to the Purser's Desk (hours are posted in the Freestyle Daily) at any time during the trip. Two years ago on the Wind I won two different Bingo pots (sorry to everyone who has ever lost but it was the magic of that trip that did it)....each time I just turned around and went to the Purser's Desk to have it applied to my account. Still ended up with a huge bill (11 days 2 adults/2 kids) but it was worth every penny of it as it was one of those "trip of a lifetime" to Hawaii and Fanning Island.

Hello, it's me again...... been reading different threads all night.....I really should just quit doing that because I'm getting more confused and such .... and of course the different threads don't all pertain to the Jewel....

Food: Can you make reservations even in the free dining rooms? Are the free dining rooms really "free" aside from tipping? Also, what drinks exactly are free as in tea, water, juice, etc. during dining? Another point, are there places that you just walk up somewhere and get a free water or tea during the day? How does all that work?

Room service is free food, correct? Again, what drinks exactly are free on a cruise?

Tipping: I know $10.00/day per person is automatically put on your bill, but I'm assuming you tip for the waiter even in the free dining room, tip the person who comes to see about anything you need in your room, tip the people who bring you room service, any other tipping not mentioned above?

One mroe thing.... does the ship charge a fee for you to cash travelers checks?

I'll be a pro come March 26, 2006!

Thanks.

It's so great that you're using these boards to the fullest, and learning so much!

Her are a few more answers. :)

Free beverages in all dining venues are Iced Tea, Water, Coffee, Hot Tea, Cappuccino and Espresso.

24 hours a day they are also available free in the Buffet and at the Blue Lagoon.

Tipping is not necessary in any dining venue - as all servers are paid out of the $10. per day added to your shipboard account. If you feel a particular server deserves more, you are welcome to tip additionally in cash to that server.

All "Paid" beverages such as soda, smoothies and alcoholic beverages automatically are charged 15% gratuity. Again you can add more if you choose. Same goes for any spa treatment. You can give these additional tips in cash or by adding more to the receipt when you sign it.

Room service is free, and it is customary to tip the attendant - anything from a couple of bucks or more, depending upon how many trays you make him carry! :p

Travelers checks can be cashed at the Pursers Desk in the main lobby at no charge to you.

Anything else? :D

Since I was paranoid about losing the traveller's cheques, once we had settled in on the first day of our 12 day cruise, I deposited $2000 and didn't worry about any credit card bill after the cruise. (most was spent on shore excursions) Also a couple of times I asked for a printout to check on the balance. On the morning we were to disembark, I collected the $90 left on the account.This worked for me.

Thank you all so much for answering my questions.... we are a bit nervous being our first time and all....

We will be a group of seven 40 year olds.....

c'

ctalldog ~

I believe all of your questions have been answered..just wanted to say ~

seven 40 year olds cruising...you will have a WONDERFUL time.

Please keep a diary and post all of you experiences when you return:)

NOTHING can compare to your "first" cruise

Hi, a couple of more questions for now:

1) Has anyone used the Internet Cafe? It says $.75/minute.... Is it easy to get on? Will the person I'm e-mailing get it instantly? My husband is not coming and we said this would be how we'd communicate with each other once or twice a day... It seems to be the cheapest way.

2) Are juices such as orange juice, tomato juice, etc. free on the ship?

Thanks again!

claudette

Archived