Ravenna to Airport Timings - Explorer of the Seas

Hello All,

I am cruising with Royal Carribeans Explorer of the Seas - 2nd July to 9th July out of Ravenna, Italy

I have an issue where on the 9th I need to be in Barcelona for around 3pm latest and I really don't want to cancel the holiday or cut it short. 

Does anyone know what the earliest time is I can get off the ship in Ravenna.

There is a flight from Bologna at 9am, I assume this is almost impossible to catch, there is one from Venice shortly after 10am which is probably almost impossible also.   However there is a flight from one of the Milan airports that would get me there on time, however the cost of getting to Milan Bergamo seems absurd at first glance. 

I'm hoping they could let me off the ship before 7am but I'm unsure if that's a thing, anyone know? 

If anyone has any tips that could even slightly help I would really appreciate it. 

Thank You

16 minutes ago, SusanPerb said:

I'm hoping they could let me off the ship before 7am but I'm unsure if that's a thing, anyone know? 

Welcome to CC.

Typically, the earliest departure (self-assist) is about 30 minutes after arrival.

When we sailed out of Bologna last year we were off the ship at 7:30.  The very earliest I would schedule a flight would be 11.  The airport is small and gets pretty busy on departure/embarkation days.  It took us 3-1/2 hours to get to Venice on the train from Bologna.

37 minutes ago, yurirmotta said:

I have almost the same issue. We arrive on July 16th and I need to catch a flight from BLQ até 12pm. We are doing another Royal Caribbean cruise out of Rome. Is is easy to get Taxi on arrival date in Ravenna Port? 
thanks

Royal has shuttles every 30 minutes to the airport and train station.  That is what we did for $27.00 a person.

38 minutes ago, yurirmotta said:

I have almost the same issue. We arrive on July 16th and I need to catch a flight from BLQ até 12pm. We are doing another Royal Caribbean cruise out of Rome. Is is easy to get Taxi on arrival date in Ravenna Port? 
thanks

I'm sure you will easy be able to get to BLQ for 12:00. hopefully if they let us off at 6:30am we can get to BLQ within an hour and then there is a flight heading out at 9:00am.   

4 minutes ago, SusanPerb said:

I'm sure you will easy be able to get to BLQ for 12:00. hopefully if they let us off at 6:30am we can get to BLQ within an hour and then there is a flight heading out at 9:00am.   

I would never count on being off of a ship at 6:30 and making a flight at 9AM.  I hope it all works out for you. The earliest flight I have ever booked was 11:30 from any port.

2 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

I would never count on being off of a ship at 6:30 and making a flight at 9AM.  I hope it all works out for you. The earliest flight I have ever booked was 11:30 from any port.

I know it will probably be scary close, the only other option I can currently find that seems viable is a 12:30pm flight out of Milan Bergamo. However that is a 3hr drive from Ravenna 

39 minutes ago, SusanPerb said:

That’s cutting it far too fine IMHO. Assuming you need to check in at BLQ at least an hour before the flight, you’d need to be on the road - not just off the ship - by 6.45 at the latest. Ship’s scheduled arrival time is 6.00. That leaves very, very little margin for error if the ship’s late or there are any traffic delays. I don’t know your attitude to risk but if it were me I’d spend the whole cruise worrying if I was going to make it, which would spoil it.

Venice is the same. The flight’s an hour later, but it’s an hour further away.

So I think Bergamo is your only realistic option. If you’re off the ship by 7.30 you’ll easily make a 12.30 flight. But it’s 200 miles so yes, a cab will be very expensive and the train would take too long.

Edited by gumshoe958

5 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

If it’s essential to be in Barcelona at that time, is getting off the cruise a day early feasible?

I did consider this but the day before is a sea day which means i would be cutting it 2 days short

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

That’s cutting it far too fine IMHO. Assuming you need to check in at BLQ at least an hour before the flight, you’d need to be on the road - not just off the ship - by 6.45 at the latest. Ship’s scheduled arrival time is 6.00. That leaves very, very little margin for error if the ship’s late or there are any traffic delays. I don’t know your attitude to risk but if it were me I’d spend the whole cruise worrying if I was going to make it, which would spoil it.

Venice is the same. The flight’s an hour later, but it’s an hour further away.

So I think Bergamo is your only realistic option. If you’re off the ship by 7.30 you’ll easily make a 12.30 flight. But it’s 200 miles so yes, a cab will be very expensive and the train would take too long.

yes this sums it up pretty well. going to continue to research some more possible options. quickly running out tho

13 minutes ago, SusanPerb said:

yes this sums it up pretty well. going to continue to research some more possible options. quickly running out tho

@SusanPerb I’m seeing a Vueling flight out of Florence at 1.05pm, arriving BCN 2.50pm.

That’s a 2 hour drive so easily doable. And only 2.5 to 3 hours on the train which would obviously be cheaper.

Edited by gumshoe958

18 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

@SusanPerb I’m seeing a Vueling flight out of Florence at 1.05pm, arriving BCN 2.50pm.

That’s a 2 hour drive so easily doable. And only 2.5 to 3 hours on the train which would obviously be cheaper.

Yes I saw this one as well. this could be an option however its leaving it fine at the other side as well. its all going to be so close

1 hour ago, Tlbecker1 said:

Royal has shuttles every 30 minutes to the airport and train station.  That is what we did for $27.00 a person.

Can we purchase the shuttle to BLQ on the planner or we have to call Royal for that? How long they take from Ravenna port to BLQ airport? Thanks

3 minutes ago, yurirmotta said:

Can we purchase the shuttle to BLQ on the planner or we have to call Royal for that? How long they take from Ravenna port to BLQ airport? Thanks

it normally takes just over an hour.   unsure if you can book it on the planner but you can deffo ring it for it.  last time I did it I arranged it onboard 

50 minutes ago, SusanPerb said:

Yes I saw this one as well. this could be an option however its leaving it fine at the other side as well. its all going to be so close

I see the Venice flight is actually at 10.25. So that might be doable. Ryanair bag drop closes 40 minutes before departure so if you’re on the road by 7.15, or 7.30 at the very latest, you could make it. Still tight, but not impossible and more feasible than the Bologna flight.

You haven’t said, but I’m going to stick my neck out and hazard a guess that you’re booked on Symphony out of Barcelona?

2 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

I see the Venice flight is actually at 10.25. So that might be doable. Ryanair bag drop closes 40 minutes before departure so if you’re on the road by 7.15, or 7.30 at the very latest, you could make it. Still tight, but not impossible and more feasible than the Bologna flight.

You haven’t said, but I’m going to stick my neck out and hazard a guess that you’re booked on Symphony out of Barcelona?

I'm booked on Virgin Voyages Valiant Lady, have to be there before 4pm latest. This will be my first time cruising with them ( if we make it lol )