LIVE from the most hated ship in the NCL fleet, Epic, March 26-April 2

spenecer

I, like several others from our sailing, are following along in anticipation of departing aboard the Epic on April 12... thanks for everything you're sharing (and you know, if you want to hop on board with us for another go, I think we'd have a blast!)

Can't wait to see what tomorrow's adventures (and beverages) are!

• Like 3

Speed - 5 Mbps Down/ 0.8 Mbps Up

Drink #7 - Moscow Mule

I’ve been abandoned by my daughter who appears to find combining copious amounts of food from La Cucina (calamari, fettuccini, carbonara, cheesecake) and the ship motion (La Cucina is at the very front of the ship on the Epic which gives a great view for Sailaway during dinner) makes for a teenager who needed to lie down with motion sickness patches. We had a table against the windows and we could watch the Epic sail into the darkness of the Caribbean with only tiny speckles of light from the shore of Puerto Rico. 

I’ve headed to the Epic Theatre to enjoy the Epic Beatles and a lovely introduction to the ship’s officers including the all-important Beverage Director. 

DE127D9F-4CC0-469D-8908-E073BD23C972.jpeg

• Like 6

For those who are following along, here are the pages for the Day 1 Freestyle Daily. I haven’t figured out how to download the PDF from the app but I did get photos of the paper copy that is still delivered to your room each day. Our first set was on the bed but Day 2 was left on our door plate. 

AE2F8B11-6342-4FBB-A0DD-99A77BACBD73.jpeg

E8D8A8BE-D4AD-4E95-898C-1D1B7CC2EAEA.jpeg

1B4CD2E2-43AF-4BDF-92A0-479DE5DA1651.jpeg

9FBE1BA7-F36C-4C4F-9DB8-CF6A14D23E91.jpeg

Edited by spenecer

Speed: 6 Mbps Down / 1.1 Mbps Up

Clearly, the internet is faster at 11PM when most of us are too drunk to be typing with our thumbs. Thank goodness for autocorrect. Here are the pages for the Day 2 Freestyle Daily.

27870BA9-C44B-4794-B8B7-3EE8ADF42814.jpeg

2A1D3EFB-05A5-4A18-BDE3-02ED8478CFE7.jpeg

D5A44000-447A-47F0-B87C-2695401980C1.jpeg

ED43C4F9-92F4-4D5E-A162-0AA83DDE70B4.jpeg

41 minutes ago, spenecer said:

Speed - 5 Mbps Down/ 0.8 Mbps Up

I’ve headed to the Epic Theatre to enjoy the Epic Beatles and a lovely introduction to the ship’s officers including the all-important Beverage Director ... 

Following along ... thank you for taking time to post & share.  Look forward to feedback about latest onboard entertainment ... and, if you can, list (partial) of ship's senior officers currently onboard, etc.  I know of a group on a given Epic roll call that should be interested in the details.  xa

6 Mbps satellite WiFi download speed is pretty good, IMHO - Epic is still using "EMC" as their ISP and not Starlink ?   On the Getaway this January, I managed to get 7 Mbps using newer hardware but slower on different devices.  Results for non-streaming use, I consider acceptable - streaming HD video is another story.  

Just now, mking8288 said:

6 Mbps satellite WiFi download speed is pretty good, IMHO - Epic is still using "EMC" as their ISP and not Starlink ?   On the Getaway this January, I managed to get 7 Mbps using newer hardware but slower on different devices.  Results for non-streaming use, I consider acceptable - streaming HD video is another story.  

I purchased the Unlimited WiFi as part of the Free at Sea Plus so I cannot speak to the streaming. I’m not sure where to look with regards to whether Epic has upgraded to Starlink but I intend to keep reporting Internet Speed numbers as we head into the Southern Antilles as rumor (prior reviews) claim that internet is worse there than close to Puerto Rico. 

46 minutes ago, spenecer said:

Speed: 6 Mbps Down / 1.1 Mbps Up

Clearly, the internet is faster at 11PM when most of us are too drunk to be typing with our thumbs. Thank goodness for autocorrect. Here are the pages for the Day 2 Freestyle Daily.

I'm sorry, does that say the adult-only pool closes at 6pm??

We're booked on the Epic next year and one thing I really like is being able to just relax in a hot tub in the evening without kids running around.

2 minutes ago, Amberle3 said:

I'm sorry, does that say the adult-only pool closes at 6pm??

With Sailaway, I did not look at Spice H2O this evening but from what I’ve seen on the internet, the pool in Spice H2O gets covered in the evening to become a dance floor or stage or maybe just to keep the black soot  from the smokestacks out of the water. 

@spenecer - use your browser, input "speedtest.net" and without having to run its speedtest - the "main" screen should identify & display the server used (i.e. AT&T, Spectrum, Verizon, etc.) like "EMC" being the "default" satellite ISP.  

You can do this at the ship's iCafe, usually, as they have a # of work stations/terminals (typically, Acer slim desktop) with a basic browser, do the same - and key in "speedtest.net" - upload speed results often failed due to high latency & will probably timed out.  But, it should "yield" the information. 

Cellular data speed at some of the Caribbean islands are pretty fast, they don't necessary have or find 5G being important, given their relatively small population base - 4G LTE being more than satisfactory for daily usage.  Have a great cruise and thanks. 

Epic Beatles in the Epic Theatre Review

If you love the boys from Liverpool, then you will love the Epic Beatles in the Epic Theatre. The show on the first night is a ‘review’ of 8-10 of the greatest hits from Liverpool’s finest. There are two costume changes and a smattering of set adjustments. The back video screen is also used to excellent effect to bring out the feel of each Beatles era. The music playing  and the mimicry of Ringo, George, Paul and John are both well done. If you don’t like the Beatles, then you should claim seasickness like my daughter and head back to your cabin. 

At the end of the show, just under an hour in length, ‘John’ let’s you know that this is just a taste of the shows they will be putting on in the Cavern club and that each show will focus on a different era.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@spenecer - use your browser, input "speedtest.net" and without having to run its speedtest - the "main" screen should identify & display the server used (i.e. AT&T, Spectrum, Verizon, etc.) like "EMC" being the "default" satellite ISP.  

On my iPhone, the Speedtest.net website reports Emerging Markets Communications. I have been using the app and didn’t realize that the service was listed above my iPhone model.

• Like 1

@spenecer loving this review!

If you haven't tried one yet, ask for a Dark N' Stormy...properly made with Gosling's ginger beer (but any ginger beer or (horrors) ginger ale can substitute, Gosling's Black Seal rum, and lime juice.

It's amazing...nothing brings me back quicker to living in Bermuda than this >100 year old drink (although.. after 3 or 4, nothing makes me fuzzier about living in Bermuda than this concoction). 

Can't wait to follow your adventures!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 3

Day 2

Speed - 6.8 Mbps Down / 0.9 Mbps Up

I woke up this morning and thought #%&$ I am still drunk from yesterday. Then, I realized it was the ship moving up and down. In a less-inebriated state, I realized how to save the PDFs of the Freestyle Daily, so here Day 2 again. 

PDF document.pdf

• Like 3

Day 2

Drink #1 - Caramel Macchiato with Whip Cream

There hundreds of drink possibilities on the Epic and I intend to try as many as possible. So, this will be the only repeat drink on this cruise but I’m not sure I can start the day without my Starbucks.   

The thing about addiction is that you can’t control it. There are lots of people up by 6:30, including smokers in the smoking area.  I’m allergic to cigarette smoke and it was blowing back toward the Gym where I pretended to work off 100 calories before heading for Starbucks. So, I walked into the cigarette smoke across Deck 15 for my addiction while the smokers had their addiction. By the time I reached the foreward stairs to head down to deck five, I was hacking like a dying mule. Thanks to COVID, everyone in the Atrium stared at me like I’m a plague-carrier. There you go, no control whatsoever. 

CA3F09B0-CE54-49D5-AFE0-335713F3A43F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Belated Review of La Cucina

My daughter has asked me to not live blog while we are eating so I am only recording my drinks (if I get them, hah, we know I am going to get them).  I am back at the gym after my Starbucks run but this time I’m cheating. Instead of an elliptical machine for a full body workout, I’m on a recumbent bike so that I can write this post. 

I decided to use one of our Specialty Dining credits at La Cucina because my daughter loves Italian. We entered by through the Garden Cafe on Deck 15 and then down the stairs because we weren’t sure if we could enter via the wheelchair access on Deck 14.

La Cucina is at the front of the Epic and all the tables for two are set at the front of the ship against the windows. This provided an excellent view of the lights of San Juan fading into the night as the Epic sailed out into the Caribbean. 

It was not very busy when we arrived. Samir, our waiter, was very attentive (he said to call him John if we didn’t like the service). Everything arrived hot (or cold) as necessary.  I don’t feel like we waited overly long for anything but the meal was still very long affair. We had 7:30 reservations and finished around 9:15.  I did order three drinks from the bar; we also ordered appetizers, pasta, mains and dessert.

My daughter can be a foodie. We made the mistake of taking our children to fine dining when they were young and now their tastes far outweigh their early earning potential. They don’t like MacDonald’s (weep with me for a lost fast food generation). So, I asked her opinion and this is what she said,

”The food was good but I wouldn’t pay these prices at a restaurant on land for this quantity.”

There you have it. Out of the mouth of babes. The food was flavorful, correctly seasoned and served at the right temperature. Our bills were also $70 each before the Specialty Dining credit. Sometimes food isn’t about how much food you get but about the experience.

I would recommend La Cucina to anyone who would like a well-presented, leisurely and tasty meal while the Epic sails out of the port of the day. Enjoy the experience (and don’t Live Blog or my daughter will scold you).

D32A8A44-4827-4938-AAE2-BC5CB911718E.jpeg

074087E1-C28E-4232-B319-E995628FB0A0.jpeg

95D29BFF-90EC-472D-A7CB-A1A895C68DD1.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Day 2

Drink #4 - A Dark and Stormy

9FBE895A-46F6-4E12-B62E-F1CF72BD12E4.thumb.jpeg.1bc528dbc629407c94a1ac2041ab7013.jpeg

We found the ‘secret’ or quiet deck up on 18 yesterday and used it to watch the Sailaway. This made the Epic horn rooting very loud as we were right under the horn. 

There are waiters roaming Deck 18 and he brought us drinks. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brenda Ollman said:

European market.  Made in France, I think.

NCL was trying to be bold and different when they came up with the Epic class, which I believe might have been called F1 originally.  The design really seemed to be a flop to the market and then I think issues with the shipyard as well, had them never making the other two ships.  

Day 2 

After getting my drink, I headed down to the Cavern Club on Deck 6 for the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. 

086134AA-6D6B-4B55-850A-2B568FE64780.thumb.jpeg.a40d707975734165a81c5075322d6604.jpeg

49DCB3EA-C087-4554-A17E-6FB86E7F5CC0.jpeg

Nonad, the current GM, says his contract ends tomorrow and he is getting off. He will be replaced by Amir (sp? and not shown).

This full sailing has 4400 people. All the staterooms are full. The ship left San Juan 30 minutes late yesterday to wait for a plane from Charlotte which had 70 passengers but a few people will be getting on the ship tomorrow. So NCL really does wait if they arrange your air travel.

AE65254E-C788-4C4B-8084-2E13D11F7086.jpeg

Edited by spenecer
  • Like 2

Day 2

Drink #4 - Strawberry Daiquiri 

This was from the Wave Pool Bar on Sea Day. I did not time the wait because the bartender was too fast in serving me. 

7C2B1151-8A7A-4C42-A6CA-4A4973A10CCC.jpeg

Edited by spenecer
  • Like 1