Things I didn't know as an experienced cruiser....(warning, sick kid)

simkoreb

Hello!  I have been on 8 carnival cruises.  The Magic was a very fun trip which we took in Feb!!!  However, cruising with my kids, we are always experiencing cruise "firsts."  Unfortunately, this trip it wasn't all pretty.

The good: I celebrated my birthday, and ordered the filet which was upcharged in the main dining room (we did not do the steakhouse).  It was AMAZING.  My boys and husband were drooling over my birthday dinner!!!  So yes, if you don't want to do the steakhouse, it was very worth it to pay the money for the steak.  I was warned it takes longer as they have to get it from the steakhouse.  I think I will do this once each cruise.

The bad: I was woken up the night of my birthday to my son (of course he was on the top bunk) getting sick across our room.  He tried making it down the ladder but was unsuccessful, and of course all our backpacks/beach bag were being stored under the bunk ladder.  I had no idea what to do at first...so my husband took him into the bathroom where he showered and continued being sick.  I looked around in awe and disbelieve over what just happened, and noticed he managed to get it almost everywhere.  Now I understand why there is a housekeeping number 24/7.  The guy that came took the next hour cleaning the room, replacing bedding, and he was AMAZING.  I felt so horrible, and tried to help when I could.  I did give him a nice cash tip, as that's all I could think of, and wrote his name down on the survey once the cruise was over as being outstanding and helpful.

The following day a lady introduced herself as the floor supervisor.  They shampooed the carpet, brought in a huge fan to dry it, and washed the bed skirt.

Hopefully no one experiences that on their cruise, and hopefully it's a last for us.  I did learn never to store things under the ladder again.  What a disaster trying to wash that off in the shower!!!

FYI, son was feeling fine after a day of rest and we enjoyed the rest of the cruise.

Happy to answer any Magic questions, and Deck 5 was my favorite place to hang out and had the BBQ place.  Go there early before people find it if you want to try it out.

Edited by simkoreb
added more info
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Happy Belated Birthday!!! So sorry to hear about your son getting sick but glad that whatever it was didn't last long and you all were able to enjoy the rest of your cruise.  That's awesome how the team jumped into action and helped you all out.  Although, we never have had to experience anything like that, its good to know that the situation will be taken care of.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your son's illness, but glad that the situation was handled and you enjoyed the rest of the cruise.  Getting on the Magic in about 2 weeks.  Good to hear everything else was good. 

• Like 1

I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s great the way housekeeping stepped up - and afterwards you probably had the cleanest cabin on the ship!  I learned from my very first cruise that I need to always buy and pack hospital style emesis bags. On our first night my daughter had a horrendous migraine and made it to the bathroom. I made it to the gift shop and bought a $14 plastic beach bag for her to use for the rest of the night. Since then, barf bags come with us on cruises and are in our cars at all times. Naturally, we haven’t ever needed them since. I’m not upset about that 😉

• Like 3

I am on the Panorama right now, and we experienced rough seas on the trip back to Cabo. They put airline - style barf bags in the elevator lobbies as a precaution, so I assume you can ask for one if you think you might need it at other times