Bid offers or room upgrades

Heisler123

Just wondering if Holland America does upgrades to rooms or bids for rooms like other cruise lines have started doing. When would be a good time to see about an upgrade if anytime is good. Maybe Holland does not do this. Just curious..TIA

No bidding on upgrades on HAL.  They do send out "upsell" offers where you pay a fixed amount to move up a category or more.  This process usually starts about 4 weeks prior to your sailing date.  If you booked through HAL the offer will come directly to you via email.  If you booked through a travel agent, it will go through them  (although some agents are better than others in passing these offers along to their clients).

• Like 1

From my own personal experience….

Booked for a the upcoming cruise at the end of February.

I did not want to go with the HAL option of letting them pick my outside cabin. I did not want to be at the very bottom on deck one, especially not far forward on deck one (my own personal preference). I picked my own cabin on deck seven at a premium. At that time balcony cabins were about $1200 more (for single occupancy).

I did receive an email upgrade to a verandah grade cabin a few weeks later for an additional $798 in total. I declined.

Fast forward another week or two and I was checking for a better cabin location for the same cabin grade. I saw that verandah grade cabins were now going for $100 less (total) than what I originally paid. Just an fyi - far, far past final payment.

I was not expecting any form of refund.  Also, I am very sceptical of those people that claim to get a bazillion dollars back in OBC after final payment. I contacted my PVP and asked if it was possible to just slide me into one of the verandahs (on the same deck). Done in a flash. I wasn’t expecting this result, and would have been happy with my original price and cabin, but I do appreciate the change that was made. Moral of the story - it doesn’t hurt to ask.

one last thing - checked prices out of curiosity and prices for my original cabin grade, and the new verandah grade are far higher than what I paid.

• Like 4