Bergen & Haugesund on your own

I agree that spending the day on your own in Bergen is entirely feasible and even enjoyable.  My cruise did have a port shuttle bus that we took from the ship closer into town.  That will depend on which pier you dock at.  But once in the central area, it's all easy to do on foot.  And yes, that includes walking to the base of the funicular and riding it up the mountain and back.  Some people will walk back down.

I did not visit Haugesund, so cannot comment on that.

The Fløibanen funicular in Bergen can be quite popular with cruise visitors, especially if there are multiple ships in town. I suggest heading there first thing to avoid the crowds, and if the queue is crazy long, consider coming back later. It’s also possible to buy a one-way ticket and walk back down the hill if you’re interested in a bit more activity.

The UNESCO-listed Bryggen waterfront is right downtown and just a few blocks from the funicular. It’s easy to wander around, but if you want a guided tour, there is a scheduled walk available from the Bryggen Museum: https://en.visitbergen.com/things-to-do/bryggen-guiding-on-foot-p819613

I’ve also found the Hanseatic Museum to be fairly interesting in the past, and it was a good chance to learn how so many different port cities in Northern Europe grew around the same period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

you can pre-book the Fløibanen funicular fare and bypass waiting in line.

see  >>> en visit bergen dot com

You can, but if the weather is terrible there is no view from the summit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

This is true, but in summer I would enjoy going up and hiking down through the woods and community, no matter the weather.  Waiting in line is a trade off

If that is your interest, the hike is worth your time, as well as different paths at the summit. The hike is not challenging and takes you through woody  areas as well as neighborhoods.

• 3 weeks later...