Thoughts on Canada/New Eng from NYC ?

TanIslandGirl

Thinking of taking this cruise (Canada/New Eng) in Aug from NYC. Has anyone done this recently? I live right here in NY so it would be easy enough. DH wants to try it. I have never cruised without a caribbean destination so it would be different. Any thoughts, likes, dislikes about it would be appreciated.

We did the 4 night cruise to Halifax on the Triumph. It was great, going up the sea was as smooth as glass. Coming back we were fogged in for a whole day. This was on June 23rd of this past year. The day we were in Halifax the temp. was 95 degrees, unheard of! We brought sweatshirts and sure didn't need them.

One of the nicest differences between Canada and the Caribbean ports is the people are so nice and don't hound you mercilessly to buy their souvenirs. It was wonderful just to be able to walk around and look. We still bought souvenirs, but no pressure.

I think you will enjoy the cruise, go for it!

We are booked for the 5 day July 1. We love to cruise so not concerned about ports. I just love the idea of driving to port and not going through the whole airport /flying in a day early hassle.

We have never been to Nova Scotia.

I think it will be a nice way for you to try a cruise.

We did the 5 night on the Triumph last year in late August. We had great weather - so much so that on the sea days you would think you were on a Carribean cruise! The ports were nice. Loved St. John and Halifax both. Sailing out of NY was really awesome!

We're hoping to book the July 1st cruise, pending approval from my boss. We love the Canadian Maritimes, and have cruised there several times previously. As montekat noted, the people are very friendly and there is no pressure to buy anything, as there often is in the Caribbean.

Halifax is among my favorite cities. We've done the Peggy's Cove trip (beautiful), visited the Citadel (my husband, the history buff, loved it), visited the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (not to be missed), and seen the cemeteries housing the graves of Titanic victims (very moving).

St. John is wonderful, which is why we're hoping to book July 1st. The town is delightful to walk through, the tides in the Bay of Fundy are amazing, and there is even a fabulous zoo. This time, we plan to venture a bit out of town on one of the excursions to the fishing villages, and then return to the in-town market later in the day.

Weather has been varied as we've gone several times, yet we also once had a 95F day in Halifax. Generally, the temperatures are similar to those in New York and New England. Rarely needed a light jacket in the summer, although evenings on the ship can get cool.

We sailed the same week (6/28-7/3) on Victory two years ago. We like the convenience of sailing from NYC and are sailing Legend this summer. Overall, we had good weather, although our day in Saint John was overcast and cool. The next day in Halifax was sunny and very warm. The seas were not rough at all; however, you should be prepared for fog every now and then. The ship sounds its horn every few minutes when it's in fog, and it startles some folks who aren't prepared for it. Victory is a really nice ship. Compared to a Caribbean cruise, I found the nightlife a bit quieter, but it's a good mix of passengers of all ages.

We took the 5 day cruise on Victory several years ago. It was a nice change from the Carribbean. Be prepared for fog. but the weather can vary widely. Loved the ports.. Peggy's cove, Titanic museum can be hightlights on this Itinerary..Fresh lobster... We went in early June 2001. I recommend it.:)

Thinking of taking this cruise (Canada/New Eng) in Aug from NYC. Has anyone done this recently? I live right here in NY so it would be easy enough. DH wants to try it. I have never cruised without a caribbean destination so it would be different. Any thoughts, likes, dislikes about it would be appreciated.

Can't speak for NY, but we did a New England/Canada on another line, out of Boston. The ports were very good on this particular trip. Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Quebec City and Bar Harbor. This was a Fall Foliage Cruise in mid October. It snowed the night before we were in Quebec City. The colors on the snow were breathtakingly beautiful! It was very good trip, but just the opposite of the Caribbean, which is my favorite destination.

Luv's Crusin'

We did the 4 night cruise to Halifax on the Triumph. It was great, going up the sea was as smooth as glass. Coming back we were fogged in for a whole day. This was on June 23rd of this past year. The day we were in Halifax the temp. was 95 degrees, unheard of! We brought sweatshirts and sure didn't need them.

One of the nicest differences between Canada and the Caribbean ports is the people are so nice and don't hound you mercilessly to buy their souvenirs. It was wonderful just to be able to walk around and look. We still bought souvenirs, but no pressure.

I think you will enjoy the cruise, go for it!

i was on the same cruise you was on, and you are right the ride was very smooth and the port, halifax was very nice. i'm thinking of doing it again.:)

Archived