Emerald Princess Disembarkation

Jdaoust

I would really appreciate any advice and information for the following:

1. Anyone know roughly what time disembarkation could start when the Emerald Princess arrives to the San Pedro port berth 92 at 6:15 am?  I have an early flight back to Canada and would like to get off the ship ASAP!

2. I’m booking a shuttle to LAX, how much time should I allow so I can schedule the ride?

‘Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Jdaoust said:

I would really appreciate any advice and information for the following:

1. Anyone know roughly what time disembarkation could start when the Emerald Princess arrives to the San Pedro port berth 92 at 6:15 am?  I have an early flight back to Canada and would like to get off the ship ASAP!

2. I’m booking a shuttle to LAX, how much time should I allow so I can schedule the ride?

‘Thank you!

If you're coming from a full transit Panama Canal, each passenger needs to be screened by Customs/Immigration, and the line moves slowly (no facial recognition).

The first group to walk off was 7:15am for our cruise in January off the Emerald Princess. That is the time they walked off the ship, and they needed to have all luggage with them, then go through the customs lines. It's about a 5-7 minute walk to the customs line.  

Grab the first cab you see if you are in a rush. Shuttles are slow, and most have multiple passengers.

Thank you for the replies.  Yes, I’m coming back from the full transit Panama Canal cruise.  Good idea to take my own luggage off the ship and thanks for the taxi tip or would a private shuttle service work?  The airline cancelled my 4 pm flight and put me on an earlier 12:15 pm one, would this be enough time?

10 minutes ago, Jdaoust said:

Thank you for the replies.  Yes, I’m coming back from the full transit Panama Canal cruise.  Good idea to take my own luggage off the ship and thanks for the taxi tip or would a private shuttle service work?  The airline cancelled my 4 pm flight and put me on an earlier 12:15 pm one, would this be enough time?

You should be fine, we have a 12:45 flight out and we are planning to take the ship shuttle, we do have TSA Precheck though. 

Princess does recommend a flight after 1pm, but this is fairly close. 

Edited by jaycruising
Update

15 minutes ago, Jdaoust said:

Yes, just do the walk off, quickly go through customs and grab a cab to the airport. Guessing LAX, and little traffic on a Saturday morning. 

Super important to do the walk off, as there will be TWO Princess ships, passengers will be disembarking from the Discovery the same morning. Different terminals. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

1 hour ago, Jdaoust said:

I would really appreciate any advice and information for the following:

2. I’m booking a shuttle to LAX, how much time should I allow so I can schedule the ride?

Thank you!

Nobody can provide a definitive answer on when disembarkation will commence due to the number of variables, most of which are outside the control of the cruise line.

The 06:15 ETA is "Estimated" time of arrival and while on turnaround day, Masters endeavour to arrive earlier, lots of reasons can cause arrival delays. Once alongside, you have the time taken to clear the ship, which can vary depending on ports of call and any issues, then you have to clear US Customs & Border patrol, which can vary depending on potential staff shortages. The clearance times also vary based on pax nationality, as all non-US & Canadian pax require finger-prints & photos, which slows the process at the booths. Yes, we have experienced this a number of times.

Although only about 20 miles from the port, L/A traffic can be horrendous, so it could take anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs from San Pedro to LAX, especially early morning. Last time we did this trip it was LAX to San Pedro, departing LAX about 12:30 and it took almost 1 hr with moderate traffic. 

Personally, 14:00 to 15:00 is the earliest we would book a flight out of LAX on day of arrival. If your flight is earlier, unless you have high risk tolerance and ready access to alternative flights, you may want to consider changing your flight.

We’re coming off the 18 night cruise so will be there on a Thursday.  Would it be a problem with rush hour in the morning?  How long does it take to go through the whole process getting off the ship and customs?

11 minutes ago, Jdaoust said:

We’re coming off the 18 night cruise so will be there on a Thursday.  Would it be a problem with rush hour in the morning?  How long does it take to go through the whole process getting off the ship and customs?

Thought you were on Emerald, sorry!  

You're 40 minutes at the most, from LAX, factoring in rush hour traffic.  

It took us 45 minutes from stepping off the ship to exiting the building, BUT there was a huge line of people ahead of us (we didn't do the express walk off).  Your wait will be much, much shorter.  Just be in the first group of walk offs. 

L.A. local here, so arrived at this port several times. Surprised to see that Oceania, arriving from Tahiti, gets berth 93. Usually Princess gets 93. (Unless a Royal Class ship) No worries, same pickup area. We usually do the early walk off and no problems wherever we sail. Recommended because if flying from any port, you're always first bus out. Being a Thursday, no problems with traffic. You have plenty of time, figure 30-40 minutes transit. 

I'd suggest a huge breakfast onboard as food at the airport is really expensive. Customs now just takes your picture and you're on the move. It's almost like you need to keep your stuff in hand because the line moves so fast you'll hold things up to stop.

Edited by mtnesterz