First time to Corfu

Ilovesailaway

DW and I will be in Corfu this June as part of our Holland America cruise. We are scheduled to be there 8am to 6pm. In my planning I have read a few posts that mention taxi tours. Is that something that needs to be pre-arranged or do we grab a taxi by the dock and give the driver a list of what we want to see? I guess at this point my main objective in Corfu is to explore Old Town and enjoy local foods. Can we walk to Old Town from the pier or is there a better way to reach it?

Also, is there a must see, do, or place to eat?

I know I am very lost here lol. We have most of our other stops planned out and are just now getting to the next one on the list.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

There's a bus stop close to the port entrance, and a frequent (every 10 - 15 mins) bus to the town centre takes 5 to 10 mins.

Town is mainly for shopping, but there are a couple of castles and rather more than a couple of bars, cafes etc.

Got to admit we spent a long time people-watching from behind tall cold beers 🍺

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Can we walk to Old Town from the pier or is there a better way to reach it?

Also, is there a must see, do, or place to eat?

Some ships have an inexpensive shuttle into town. It's a rather long walk but some do it. The bus (as JB mentions) is another option, or a taxi.

The town has a lovely promenade with several good vantage points for people watching. Good for a coffee and pastry or a glass of wine or a beer.  The old church (St. Spyridon, patron saint of Corfu) is worth a look. There is also a lovely icon museum in the old part of town:   https://www.greeka.com/ionian/corfu/sightseeing/corfu-byzantine-museum/

And an archaeological museum.

Corfu is a lovely island, greener than most Greek islands with some lovely beaches. I would check to see how many people are going to be in port with you. If it will be seething with cruise passengers, getting a taxi tour to see some of the rest of the island might be a "Plan B" -- as the town can feel uncomfortably crowded at times.

• Thanks 1

In my planning I have read a few posts that mention taxi tours. Is that something that needs to be pre-arranged or do we grab a taxi by the dock and give the driver a list of what we want to see?

Should you decide to venture out of town to visit some of the scenic parts of Corfu, I would recommend you pre-arrange a taxi tour as otherwise you are taking a chance on there bering availability dockside, and there may be none at the time you want.

I am unsure how your own list of what you want to see would work.

The drivers know where they can comfortably take you which works around your time in port, also opening hours should there be any  at certain sights. And would speak english if you request that, and you would know the cost.

They were found easily enough by googling "corfu taxi tours" or something similar..  Some may even have websites with itinerary examples but they do lots of taxi tours and can probably make suggestions which you can agree to or make alternative suggestions of your own and they can advise if time would allow for their inclusion.

Have you checked if any others on your RC already have a tour arranged and are looking for others  like yourselves to share? 

Alternatively, if you arrange a taxi tour, you could check if any of the others on your RC might want to join your group to share the cost..

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1