Just an FYI (No Passport Online Renewal

Ret MP

3 hours ago, mickeychicky said:

So basically, if your passport expires next year some time, you better start the renewal process now.  And don't expect your birth certificate back.  I know someone who hasn't gotten theirs back yet and their passport came a few weeks ago after an 11 week wait.

Well, you don't send a bc with a renewal, just the old/expiring passport.  So, that might be their problem.

Edited by BND

18 hours ago, BND said:

Well, you don't send a bc with a renewal, just the old/expiring passport.  So, that might be their problem.

I know, they mail each back separately but the birth certificate hasn't made it back yet and the passport was received two weeks ago.  Good thing people have multiple certified copies of birth certificates hanging around the house.

18 hours ago, BND said:

This was for a NEW passport.  I am saying if you need a renewal for next year better start now. The not sending the BC back was just another example of a delay. 

1 hour ago, mickeychicky said:

This was for a NEW passport.  I am saying if you need a renewal for next year better start now. The not sending the BC back was just another example of a delay. 

Rreread what you posted.  It does not read as a new passport.  We can only respond to what we read.

We did an in person appointment for my husband, son and my daughter (My passport doesn't expire until next year).  All renewals except for my daughter, it was a brand new passport for her.  This was the 1st week in April.  Their passports came in around the middle of June, so about 10 or so weeks.  We cruise at the end of July, so it was enough time in between. I went ahead and obtained an extra birth certificate for my daughter since hers was sent in, just in case the passports didn't arrive on time.  

For the longest time on the website it read, "Application status: In process."  I finally stopped checking, and then the passports came probably a week later after I had last checked.  So when they do eventually update, it's seemingly pretty quick that they are out of the door and into the mailbox.  

When we come back from this cruise in a few weeks, I will send in my passport.  We plan on taking another cruise same time next year, and with the delays and extended wait times, I'll go ahead and send it in when I get back since there are limitations as to travel within 6 months of your passport expiration date.  

Just posting in case anyone sent for their passports around the same time we did.

We only had six weeks between cruises to renew. Sent express 6/17, received 6/21 (there was holiday in there so took longer). After two weeks I was so stressed I reached out to our senator for assistance.  Received email from her staff that they requested priority for us.  Received passports yesterday, four weeks to the day.  From horror stories I've read about have to believe it helped.

• Like 1

Mailed my renewal on 17 May, received by DOS on 19 May.  Post office notification (informed delivery) stated yesterday that I had something coming from Passport Services DOS Tucscon today and today's informed delivery shows it will be here today.  I didn't expedite or pay for express mail.  8 weeks and 6 days from their receipt to delivery today.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1