How do you protect your belongings while in the water?

NJRonbo

Our first cruise to the Bahamas.  We are going to Jet Ski and snorkel.

Our big concern is that we want to bring our phone for photos, a little cash for taxi rides, our credit card, and a ship badge.

The place we are going to does not offer secure storage while partaking in water activities.

The best idea I could come up with is one of those waist pouches that have multiple layers of waterproofing and secured around the waist with a belt and buckle.

Anyone used anything specific that they were very happy with and did a great job of protecting all the above-mentioned while in the water?

Amazon or web link to the product is appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

61JkEouNSAL._AC_SL1022_.jpg

I wear a phone pouch around my neck. Easily holds phone a few bills ship 'card', credit card and a photo ID. Waterproof. This one is TWO for $10 on amazon: Hiearcool Waterproof Phone Pouch, Waterproof Phone Case 

I shot this video with one at discovery Cove: 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

Just now, Capt_BJ said:

61JkEouNSAL._AC_SL1022_.jpg

I wear a phone pouch around my neck. Easily holds phone a few bills ship 'card' and a photo ID. Waterproof. This on a TWO for $10 on amazon: Hiearcool Waterproof Phone Pouch, Waterproof Phone Case 

I shot this video with one at discovery Cove: 

Thank you.  This was the detailed answer I had been hoping for. 

I was torn between a phone pouch and a waist pouch you could put your phone in.  If the linked Amazon product is the one you actually used and it holds a few more items than a phone, then that is exactly what I will pick up.   I like the idea you could use the touchscreen and film video with the case.

Use a safego (on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/SAFEGO-Portable-Indoor-Outdoor-Combination/dp/B017RR15YI/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2KNYRQNJLEFDP&keywords=plastic%2Bvacation%2Bvault&qid=1681271025&sprefix=plastic%2Bvacation%2Bvault%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-16&th=1).  We bought one for our son when he went to camp in 3rd grade (it was called a vacation vault then).  He is now 27 and my DH and I have commandeered it for the past15 years or so.  We attach it to both our chairs so they can't just take one chair.  It will hold your phones, cash/cc, sea pass, some smaller kindles.This way we don't even have to take it in the water with us.

13 hours ago, bucky0926 said:

Use a safego (on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/SAFEGO-Portable-Indoor-Outdoor-Combination/dp/B017RR15YI/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2KNYRQNJLEFDP&keywords=plastic%2Bvacation%2Bvault&qid=1681271025&sprefix=plastic%2Bvacation%2Bvault%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-16&th=1).  We bought one for our son when he went to camp in 3rd grade (it was called a vacation vault then).  He is now 27 and my DH and I have commandeered it for the past15 years or so.  We attach it to both our chairs so they can't just take one chair.  It will hold your phones, cash/cc, sea pass, some smaller kindles.This way we don't even have to take it in the water with us.

The safego is also what I recommended above, but didn't name it. They are awesome, but I think OP wants something to take into the water with them. 

On 3/29/2023 at 6:43 PM, jbrinkm said:

We use this on almost every vacation where we do anything in the water. Might not be too secure for a long time if no one is popping back to the chair to check in on it, but works well as a pretty serious deterrent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RQUIC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

45 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

The safego is also what I recommended above, but didn't name it. They are awesome, but I think OP wants something to take into the water with them. 

Correct.  I think the waterproof pouches would be our best bet.

However, the SAFEGO seems ideal if we are going to leave stuff by our beach/pool chair.

Thank you, everyone!

If the linked Amazon product is the one you actually used and it holds a few more items than a phone, then that is exactly what I will pick up. 

what I linked is actually more expensive then the exact one I have! 

Just be sure to get a case large enuf for your particular phone .... I have an iPhone XR .... older, smaller .... we used all 4 cases (4 people each with a phone) and NO LEAKS .... I've used mine a dozen times since.

image.png

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

what I linked is actually more expensive then the exact one I have! 

Just be sure to get a case large enuf for your particular phone .... I have an iPhone XR .... older, smaller .... we used all 4 cases (4 people each with a phone) and NO LEAKS .... I've used mine a dozen times since.

I have a different brand of this same style of case, but have never tried it in the water (I use it in a bag that might get wet or have wet towels put in with it. It overheats a bit if I try to use it just sitting in the sand, but I think being in the cooler water would help with that issue. Now that I've seen yours, I might be brave enough to try it next time!

We have two of the waterproof pouches.  One is smaller. It holds passports, ship card, money.  It’s small enough to fit in swim trunk pocket. We run the string through the hole in the bottom of the pocket (some swim trunks have a riveted hole in the pocket) then run it back to the top of the pouch and secure with a carabiner. You can tie the string to make it shorter so it doesn’t float out if the pocket doesn’t have a Velcro flap.  The cell phone goes in a separate pouch so nothing else in the pouch gets in the way. Everything else we just leave on the beach because it doesn’t matter if it gets stolen. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 1:38 PM, NJRonbo said:

Thank you.  This was the detailed answer I had been hoping for. 

I was torn between a phone pouch and a waist pouch you could put your phone in.  If the linked Amazon product is the one you actually used and it holds a few more items than a phone, then that is exactly what I will pick up.   I like the idea you could use the touchscreen and film video with the case.

DH and I kayak and snorkel and we use both a phone pouch and a waist pouch depending on what we need to carry with us. Both are waterproof and have had no issues.

1 minute ago, LabMom57 said:

DH and I kayak and snorkel and we use both a phone pouch and a waist pouch depending on what we need to carry with us. Both are waterproof and have had no issues.

Thanks.  We already bought those.  The big thing is transporting a change of clothes and towels with us to the excursion.  

1 hour ago, NJRonbo said:

Thanks.  We already bought those.  The big thing is transporting a change of clothes and towels with us to the excursion.  

For that, we use a tote. We have a number we choose from for cruises. A backpack also works great. 

If you are worried about the change of clothes getting wet, you can use a small dry bag. We carry this when we kayak: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071941ZFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

You can find others without the items you already have by searching Amazon for waterproof dry bag.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LabMom57 said:

For that, we use a tote. We have a number we choose from for cruises. A backpack also works great. 

If you are worried about the change of clothes getting wet, you can use a small dry bag. We carry this when we kayak: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071941ZFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

You can find others without the items you already have by searching Amazon for waterproof dry bag.

LabMom57,

You have been a HUGE help.  Thank you so much!

• 8 months later...

If you could do without your phone, I sewed a fabric zipped pocket inside my swimsuit to hold my credit card ( for food and drink) , driving licence( in case I needed photo ID- instead of passport) and cruise ship card. All worked well after swimming in seawater. 

• 1 month later...

When I dove in Thailand this summer, we found a cell phone at the ocean bottom in one of these waterproof pouches. It still worked, although the battery was dead! It had probably been there a week or more! The same dive I found a dive knife in a leather sheath. That had been there considerably longer!