Child with only a birth certificate

skittl1321

My daughter's passport just expired, and I didn't realize it until now (kids passports are only good for 5 years!)

We sail in 16 weeks, and currently the passport office is saying that non-expedited passports are 10-14 weeks.  I have an appt for her next week; but I am concerned if that date extends, I won't have her passport back for a backup plan.

We COULD expedite her passport, but I also know that on a closed loop cruise (we are sailing out of Miami, returning to Miami), it is possible to sail with only a birth certificate. Our (adult) travel companions have done that many times, and plan to on this cruise as well. (We have only ever used passports.)

The requirements on the MSC website say you need a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.  Our 6-year old obviously does not have a photo ID (and her school does not do IDs).  Can she sail with only her birth certificate, or does she need an expedited passport?

(I am not concerned about any scenario where we are stuck in another country and need to fly home, only boarding the cruise.)

Yes you can on a closed loop cruise, it must be an original state issued birth certificate with a raised seal or state certification (Some don't have raised seals)

Edited by mmbcater
  • Like 1

It may not count as a "government" ID, but many US police departments offer a photo ID for minors - some even with fingerprints. Usually has the full name, DOB and current address. 

May be a good back-up to have. We still have our son's from when he was 1 yo pre-passport. 

Start that travel bug early!

Warmest, Amy