Athens and Uber vs Car Service

zalusky

We are cruising in May starting in Athens.  We arrive at night and will stay in a hotel near the Plaka.  We will enjoy a day walking around and then head to the ship the following morning.    I know Uber is different in Athens in that it basically dispatches Taxis.

So my question for those with experience is Uber the way to go for the airport to hotel, and hotel to ship?  Are prearranged car services better?

I have done some searching and seen various opinions but thought I would ask for fresh answers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

FWIW in Athens, we just get our hotel to call us a cab or car service if they suggest it and have good rates.

How did you get to the Hotel?   Did you ask them before arriving at the airport to get you a car service?

We have always used welcome pickups from airport to hotel to ship and back. They are absolutely excellent last time they allocated the same driver to us for all our rides (you know your driver details in advance). He was so nice and engaging on each ride. It’s not that much more than Uber but well worth it. 

• Like 1

We’ve used Welcome pickups in several cities, including Athens.  The drivers are on-time, courteous, excited about their cities, the cars are immaculate and the cost very reasonable.  We like because we can schedule a pickup, recognize the driver and we don’t have so wonder if an Uber driver is in the area.  We’ve had the experience of no Uber drivers at the time we needed a ride to the airport.

• Like 1

We had a post cruise extension in Athens, and had the front desk call a taxi because I knew Uber just called a taxi as well. Short ride into town and we were overcharged about $6-$8, not worth hassling over but made us wary. Similar problem when we went to come back, but asked the fare before getting in taxi so we walked away. Used Uber to book a ride back to hotel and got a taxi that charged us the correct amount. Advantage with Uber is you will almost definitely get the proper rate.

11 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I am trying to avoid cash if possible.  I assume Uber and WelcomePickups you can prepay and I assume the taxis require cash.  Is that a correct assumption?

Welcome Pickups is cards only 

• Like 1