Total travel time between Stockholm and Oslo

lorigh

We are looking to book BTB cruises next September on NCL.  The first one arrives in Stockholm the morning of September 15th and the second one leaves that afternoon in Oslo.  Air travel time is an hour, but I know there is a lot of other factors that are involved.  Any constructive advice is welcome if this is feasible or not, or if we should disembark a day early and travel to Oslo to avoid any travel stress.

It sounds like a somewhat risky plan.  There will not be much delay before the ship in Oslo has sailed.  Depending on how early arrival in ship cleared in Stockholm and latest embarkation in Oslo.
It takes one hour from Stockholm to the airport and the earliest flight it is realistic to catch is 11am - the flight time is one hour - including bag drop and driving from the airport to Oslo you can expect to be at the cruise terminal at 2pm

If you can make the 9:25am flight out of Arlanda you might have less stress - the ship in Stockholm must then be cleared by 7:390am at the latest.

What time does the ship leave Oslo? And how hard would it be to reach the next port if you missed it?

The good thing is that there are several flights per day between the two cities, so you’re not so limited in flight times. I can’t really speak to the reliability of timings on the Stockholm side as I typically just connect through ARN.

At OSL, the trains to the city take less than 25 minutes, and the express runs every 10 minutes during the day Mon-Sat and every 20 minutes on Sundays. A taxi from the central station to the pier would typically take another 10-20 minutes.

Your biggest variable would be baggage claim, which can take anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes for luggage to show up. Usually I’d expect 15-20 minutes from arrival for a Stockholm connection, but I’ve run into long delays for short flights when the airport is understaffed

Finally came to the conclusion, that the best way would be to fly from Stockholm to Kristiansand, Norway, which is our first stop on September 16th.  We don’t arrive until 9:20 am on September 15th in Stockholm, so there is no way we will make it by our departure time of 4:00 pm in Oslo.  I will contact NCL to see if meeting the ship in Kristiansand is feasible.  I wouldn’t think it should be an issue because we have met passengers on other cruises who boarded the next day or even later due to late flights and custom issues.

The two biggest risk as I see it are the cruise ship arrival into Stockholm due to unfavourable weather conditions. The sail into Stockholm from the open sea takes about 5-6 hours. Due to the fairway/route being very narrow/tight on many places it has lots of restrictions for conditions with poor visibility and/or strong winds. The other risk is long queues/delays at the security check. It was really bad last summer. but it might have been improved now.