NCL Encore Main Dining Rooms - "fixed" menu (not rotating)?

connolk

Hi - I read about the changes to the MDR menus on the Norwegian ships for 2023.  Has anyone been on the Encore recently, and have they changed out the rotating daily menus for a fixed menu every day? TYIA!  We are sailing on 4/9/23 - first vacation in almost 4 years!  WOOHOO!!!  

There is a fixed portion of 5 (if I remember correctly) choices, and a rotating section of 6 choices. Typically 1 each of beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, fish, and veggie.

The rotating portion is on a 7, 8 or 9 day cycle, depending mainly on the chef staff and food item availability.  This was explained to us by one waiter on our last cruise.  He was surprised that we had a day 8 menu on a 7 day cruise.  The staff skipped days 6 and 7 for days 8 and 9 that cruise.

Of course we wouldn't have known unless he told us.

@Panhandle Couple I don't believe there are set days for any particular menu to be served.  I saw a 'day 3' menu on a day other than day 3 of my cruise on the Escape.  NCL has a rotation of 14 or 21 menus and you could get any one of them on any day of your cruise.

You might have known - if you pull up the bottom of the menu you can see the name, which includes the day # in the rotation.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, connolk said:

Hi - I read about the changes to the MDR menus on the Norwegian ships for 2023.  Has anyone been on the Encore recently, and have they changed out the rotating daily menus for a fixed menu every day? TYIA!  We are sailing on 4/9/23 - first vacation in almost 4 years!  WOOHOO!!!  

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Currently no ships, except Prima, have the fixed menu. 

Thanks very much! 

4 hours ago, hallux said:

@Panhandle Couple I don't believe there are set days for any particular menu to be served.  I saw a 'day 3' menu on a day other than day 3 of my cruise on the Escape.  NCL has a rotation of 14 or 21 menus and you could get any one of them on any day of your cruise.

You might have known - if you pull up the bottom of the menu you can see the name, which includes the day # in the rotation.

Thanks very much! 

4 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

There is a fixed portion of 5 (if I remember correctly) choices, and a rotating section of 6 choices. Typically 1 each of beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, fish, and veggie.

The rotating portion is on a 7, 8 or 9 day cycle, depending mainly on the chef staff and food item availability.  This was explained to us by one waiter on our last cruise.  He was surprised that we had a day 8 menu on a 7 day cruise.  The staff skipped days 6 and 7 for days 8 and 9 that cruise.

Of course we wouldn't have known unless he told us.

Thanks very much! 

• 9 months later...

It looks like this idea may have been a failure.  It could also be they rolled back the update until they got a more acceptable fixed menu?  I have not heard of one single ship staying or changing with fixed menu items.  Since I have a cruise next year I would like to know what to expect as that makes it easier to decide when to make reservations for the specialty dining package.

5 hours ago, socratease55 said:

It looks like this idea may have been a failure.  It could also be they rolled back the update until they got a more acceptable fixed menu?  I have not heard of one single ship staying or changing with fixed menu items.  Since I have a cruise next year I would like to know what to expect as that makes it easier to decide when to make reservations for the specialty dining package.

There are no fixed menus in any main dining room on Norwegian. Since you're cruising next year (I assume that's 2025), be prepared for rotating main dining room menus or a fixed menu. Or, perhaps they'll drop menus and just go with whatever's in the pantry. If you use history as a base, expect the rotating menu. If you also use history as a base, expect anything and everything from NCL (and the other cruise lines). 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:10 AM, cruiseny4life said:

If you use history as a base, expect the rotating menu. If you also use history as a base, expect anything and everything from NCL (and the other cruise lines). 

I'll gladly use History as a base, rather than Algebra or Calculus. I suck at complicated math. Don't get me started on Trigonometry. But I can tell you when the War of 1812 was fought. History's easy.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Not even Prima has it now. It was so unpopular they scrapped it. 

The statement was valid when it was posted a year ago. This is the danger of replying to very old posts. 

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The statement was valid when it was posted a year ago. This is the danger of replying to very old posts. 

I didn't bump it, and now all the new readers have the accurate information in the thread. That adds value.