Things you need to bring with you getting off at a port

mduffles64

17 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

I find it strange that some people are saying they actually needed ID at any port. In the past six months, we've sailed to Iceland, Greenland, Australia, New Zealand, various South Pacific Islands, and multiple South American countries, and not once did anyone ask for a picture ID of any kind. All they ever wanted to see when we entered the port were our cruise cards. In fact, in Valparaiso, we didn't even need those to get back on the ship on turnaround day of a back-to-back.

I would imagine its a very small number of ports, I've been to I'd guess 30 ports which is mostly the Caribbean and can only recall two ports, Nassau and Key West, that require an ID

On 4/4/2023 at 10:46 PM, Charles4515 said:

The passport card isn’t better than a drivers license for ID at ports. It is a waste of $25. Passport cards are meant for easy crossing of land and sea borders without a passport book in North America.

I have to renew my passport book after my next cruise in May. I will be getting the card to go along with it just to have another easy to carry in wallet ID, especially with the new domestic flight rules if they ever go into effect, as the passport card will be good for that also. I also plan on using it as my gov ID when getting off in port instead of a DL, as I would rather have to replace a passport card than my DL if it were to get lost on stolen in port.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 12:39 PM, Mona-Lisa said:

We always take our actual passport with us wherever is our port. (EU citizens)

In case you miss your ship due to any reason, you need that to board a plane to get home or to rejoin your cruise. 

We do have a pre-printed checklist for each cruiser, and for each port we have game in the mornings to play. Tick the items you packed. We then attach it to the wall with a magnet. 🙂 

It is a basic sheet printed from excel listing items like: passport, sunscreen, phone, travel insurance, snorkel gear, towel, sunglasses, raincoat, cash, drinking bottle, any other stuff you may need.. long list. 

I love doing that, helps me to prepare for the day 🙂 

If you miss the ship for any reason you can go to your country’s embassy and they will assist you in getting home if need be. It is more risky to carry a passport and risk it being stolen or lost. My opinion.

22 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

I find it strange that some people are saying they actually needed ID at any port. 

Be that as it may, I've shown ID at multiple ports. Sometimes it's a requirement.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 2:35 AM, mahasamatman said:

I find it strange that some people are saying they actually needed ID at any port. In the past six months, we've sailed to Iceland, Greenland, Australia, New Zealand, various South Pacific Islands, and multiple South American countries, and not once did anyone ask for a picture ID of any kind. All they ever wanted to see when we entered the port were our cruise cards. In fact, in Valparaiso, we didn't even need those to get back on the ship on turnaround day of a back-to-back.

You are putting to much emphasis on "the port". Many countries require you to carry ID and the police/other oficials can demand to see it. If you are suddenly called on to produce your ID it could well be that the "official" requesting this does not have English as their first language. Better to carry an approved actual document than to try to explain to an "official" why the copies in your phone or the photocopy in your wallet is acceptable. 

On 4/12/2023 at 7:20 PM, hrhdhd said:

Be that as it may, I've shown ID at multiple ports. Sometimes it's a requirement.

Too often on these boards people,  usually innocently,  report incorrect information because they assume all experiences will match theirs.  So much varies by port, itinerary,  sailing, ship, current personnel on the ship,  and on and on.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Too often on these boards people,  usually innocently,  report incorrect information because they assume all experiences will match theirs.  So much varies by port, itinerary,  sailing, ship, current personnel on the ship,  and on and on.  

You are 100% correct which is why it's essential to always carry Government issued original ID with you. 

I enjoy reading the different comments.

Maybe I am just lucky or careful enough but never considered losing my original passport during port days.

Of course you can decide how to deal with this topic, based on past experience, preference etc, but in a foreign country I would not go anywhere without my original passport. 

More worried about being left behind as I prefer not to pay for the tours organized by the cruise line. 🙂 or to forget my own mask for diving.

I wish all of you not to have any issues!

BTW any experience losing the shipcard? I wonder how you deal with that...