When arriving at Port of San Pedro

DragonflyCruiser

31 minutes ago, DragonflyCruiser said:

Is there a line for priority boarding or suite guests?  Or, is boarding strictly based on the group and time chosen?  

Haven't sailed with Princess for a while and it's quite a bit different than prior trips.

My thanks!

I’ve never seen PCL base the boarding on the group time chosen. 
We were in a lounge for Suites and Elites in San Pedro.  We boarded first. 

Hello,

The last four cruises that we have sailed out of San Pedro, there was a little area for the Suites and Elites.  They get on first.  

Platinum has another area and gets on once the Suites and Elites have moved out of that area.

In January 2022 and April 2022 - they started boarding around 11:45am.

In November 2022 and February 2023 - we arrived at 11:10am Suites and Elites were already gone so we (Platinum) just walked on once we were checked in.  It was super quick and easy.  

Two more cruises and I will be Elite.  My boyfriend will be Platinum after our next cruise (April 2023).

Enjoy,

Christie

• Like 1

Thank you!  This was what I was looking for!  Seems like Princess would give that info to us.  We are in a Penthouse and haven't heard anything about boarding except to choose a group and a time.  I kept thinking suites would have a boarding area.  We are Platinum now and can't remember how many more points till we move up.  I should check it out.

Just now, DragonflyCruiser said:

Thank you!  This was what I was looking for!  Seems like Princess would give that info to us.  We are in a Penthouse and haven't heard anything about boarding except to choose a group and a time.  I kept thinking suites would have a boarding area.  We are Platinum now and can't remember how many more points till we move up.  I should check it out.

I think that Princess does not want everyone bum rushing at 11am and overloading the process.  In January 2022, it was extremely crowded everywhere.  The Suite-Elites area is not very big but does have some snacks and drinks.  It looked like there were so many people there that some were left standing as there were not enough chairs.  The platinum area had plenty of chair when we arrived but it soon filled up as well.  We only had 974 passengers and it seemed like everyone came early.

The rooms are not ready until about noon'ish.  

Enjoy your suite.  We are in a Mini suite for our next voyage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DragonflyCruiser said:

Is there a line for priority boarding or suite guests?  Or, is boarding strictly based on the group and time chosen?  

Haven't sailed with Princess for a while and it's quite a bit different than prior trips.

My thanks!

I will offer a couple of additional thoughts.

1.  When arriving to the Port, I believe there is only one single line to get from outside to and through security.  Everyone is in that same line.  Security is FAST.

2.  Once through security, as other have said, there has been a separate waiting area for Elites, Suite guests, to sit before boarding the ship.  Those groups board first (after the back to back people).

• Like 1

Just now, deultgen said:

I will offer a couple of additional thoughts.

1.  When arriving to the Port, I believe there is only one single line to get from outside to and through security.  Everyone is in that same line.  Security is FAST.

2.  Once through security, as other have said, there has been a separate waiting area for Elites, Suite guests, to sit before boarding the ship.  Those groups board first (after the back to back people).

There are 2 different lines for different ships that have been departing. I went in 2022 and 2023. I have been in both lines.   for the ship on the right hand side there is a switchback theme park type outside line that is larger outside. (unless they just created the switchback for 2022 for covid?) the switchback line is covered with a canopy.     For the left hand side the outside line is just a few feet and then you are inside.     If you do the process to input your passport beforehand, I don't think it matters when you arrive from what everyone says.  In my experience, security is only looking for weapons and takes less time  per person going through then when i go to work at the courthouses in my area for work.         either case you are covered from the rain, so just arrive when you want and don't worry about it.        

i highly suspect for carnival, security takes more time but carnival only leaves from nearby long beach

Edited by warren buffet
add more
  • Like 1

Dragonfly, please understand that the foregoing comments are only for people arriving relatively early at the port.  I never arrive before noon, and I have never seen these Suite/Elite lounges in the "Waiting to Board" hall.  I just get in line, because boarding is always well underway.  

• Like 1

we sail out of San Pedro on Princess several times a year...as stated by previous posters, your experience will depend on a few factors...the primary factors are whether you are boarding at berth 93 or 91/2 & when you decide to arrive other less likely factors are if there is an unexpected delay (ship arrives late, Coast Guard inspection, or some other unusual circumstance)

• I have never seen them check boarding times or groups at the port of LA (San Pedro)
  • berth 93 (the one perpendicular to the harbor) has a much bigger building & waiting areas & is IMHO much nice for embarkation, the other (which is parallel to the harbor) is smaller & gets quite crowded so if there is any delay, you may have to stand to wait...if by some chance you are leaving from the outer harbor they will put up tents there & boarding should be very easy as well (but Princess will not give you any instructions on how to arrive or park or anything so come back to CC for help)
  • once you are inside (93) or in line (91/2) they will have plenty of people to direct you to the appropriate line (I travel with one person with a walker & another who needs wheelchair assistance for boarding, so we are directed that way & never get to the elite line) 
  • I always aim to arrive between 10:30 & 10:45 & find it very easy to board with my people, their mobility devices & stuff...except for the times with the above mentioned delays (so bring a little patience in your carry on, just in case)
  • Princess is very, very bad about giving out information before you get to the port, but once you are there, they do know what they are doing & get you in pretty smoothly & quickly (I guess they think we don't need the info, but we sure wish they would share more)

have a wonderful cruise

• Like 3

We are leaving on Discovery April 15th, received email last week asking us not to arrive at Port until 1:00p and we were given a time based on Deck.

This also was the case when we went in January - we still got to the port around 11:30a, went through security, and checked in and got on board by 12:00 - 12:15

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelin.sisters said:

we sail out of San Pedro on Princess several times a year...as stated by previous posters, your experience will depend on a few factors...the primary factors are whether you are boarding at berth 93 or 91/2 & when you decide to arrive other less likely factors are if there is an unexpected delay (ship arrives late, Coast Guard inspection, or some other unusual circumstance)

• I have never seen them check boarding times or groups at the port of LA (San Pedro)
  • berth 93 (the one perpendicular to the harbor) has a much bigger building & waiting areas & is IMHO much nice for embarkation, the other (which is parallel to the harbor) is smaller & gets quite crowded so if there is any delay, you may have to stand to wait...if by some chance you are leaving from the outer harbor they will put up tents there & boarding should be very easy as well (but Princess will not give you any instructions on how to arrive or park or anything so come back to CC for help)
  • once you are inside (93) or in line (91/2) they will have plenty of people to direct you to the appropriate line (I travel with one person with a walker & another who needs wheelchair assistance for boarding, so we are directed that way & never get to the elite line) 
  • I always aim to arrive between 10:30 & 10:45 & find it very easy to board with my people, their mobility devices & stuff...except for the times with the above mentioned delays (so bring a little patience in your carry on, just in case)
  • Princess is very, very bad about giving out information before you get to the port, but once you are there, they do know what they are doing & get you in pretty smoothly & quickly (I guess they think we don't need the info, but we sure wish they would share more)

have a wonderful cruise

Very helpful!  Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Just now, roxievegas said:

We are leaving on Discovery April 15th, received email last week asking us not to arrive at Port until 1:00p and we were given a time based on Deck.

This also was the case when we went in January - we still got to the port around 11:30a, went through security, and checked in and got on board by 12:00 - 12:15

the norovirus is especially bad this year per gov't. probably because gov't told everyone to reduce contact with other people and germs for the prior 2 yrs. which has resulted in the avg person having somewhat below avg immune system to combat any illness. also 1 large reason why there are excess deaths (more than historically avg) in almost every country around the world. those countries who went for lockdown the longest and or hardest and those countries who have forced more of their population to take the covid shots having the most excess deaths.  this is not a political statement and I do not seek to be political with it. it is simply undisputed facts, based on death rates by government offices and the biggest life insurance companies in the world. 

the direct point to the email you received, is they don't want a thousand people waiting from 10 am to 1 pm if there is a norovirus outbreak on the previous sailing. if there is there protocol is to do extra cleaning and no one boards until one.    however, the unfortuanate thing is if they just send those on most sailing it's the boy who cried wolf and people will ignore the email, even if there was an outbreak on the previous sailing. 

Edited by warren buffet
add more depth

7 hours ago, roxievegas said:

We’ll be onboard too!

was the email you received the “Booking Notification”?  That notification says to arrive no earlier than 1:00 if you’re on decks C, D, & S, and you haven’t selected a boarding time.

If you’ve selected a boarding time in the app, you can arrive earlier (assuming you have an earlier time).

our flight is supposed to arrive at 9 am, and we have an early boarding time, so hopefully we’ll get to wander the ship for a while.

Edited by WAvoyager
  • Like 1