Would you like robots on a cruise?

bladerunner6

Reality: At one (local, land) restaurant we go to, the servers are all people (as far as I can tell), but the food gets sent out on a robot. Then the server comes over to actually put the food on the table. We like this; no chance of the server dropping something, easier for them, and it's fun watching the robot careen though the tables with no problem.

But robot pets should be provided by the cruise lines, since we can't bring ours.

• Like 1

There is (was?) a robot "butler" at the Aloft Hotel in Cupertino CA, by the Apple Mothership.  It would deliver those things you forgot (toothbrush, shower cap, etc) to your room when you called for them.   I'd LOVE to have one of those when I was working at the full-service resorts - delivering toiletries was not a fun thing and took me away from the desk at night when HK was gone. 

12 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Reality: At one (local, land) restaurant we go to, the servers are all people (as far as I can tell), but the food gets sent out on a robot. Then the server comes over to actually put the food on the table. We like this; no chance of the server dropping something, easier for them, and it's fun watching the robot careen though the tables with no problem.

This is just an update of something I enjoyed as a kid, way back in the mid ‘50’s…

We had a local restaurant, called the “Hamburger Train”.  You dined at a long serpentine counter that had ‘O’ Gauge Lionel tracks on the far edge.  When your order was ready, it arrived on a plate on a flatcar on a chugging Lionel train which stopped in front of you.  When you removed your order , the train continued on…🙂

10 hours ago, bob brown said:

This is just an update of something I enjoyed as a kid, way back in the mid ‘50’s…

We had a local restaurant, called the “Hamburger Train”.  You dined at a long serpentine counter that had ‘O’ Gauge Lionel tracks on the far edge.  When your order was ready, it arrived on a plate on a flatcar on a chugging Lionel train which stopped in front of you.  When you removed your order , the train continued on…🙂

Although I was a kid in the 50s, I never got a burger by model train! I would never have left the place.

54 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Although I was a kid in the 50s, I never got a burger by model train! I would never have left the place.

Yup, this would have been THE place all the kids in my neighborhood would have insisted on going... all the time (or whenever the parents agreed or could afford a meal out, etc.).

I'm surprised it didn't take off as a national chain, or was that before the big chain times?

GC

10 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Yup, this would have been THE place all the kids in my neighborhood would have insisted on going... all the time (or whenever the parents agreed or could afford a meal out, etc.).

I'm surprised it didn't take off as a national chain, or was that before the big chain times?

GC

It wasn’t part of any chain, but there were similar ones around.   It might have been some sort of a franchise, but I’m not sure.

And yes, it was the destination restaurant for many birthday parties…😉

Hmmm….maybe it’s time for some entrepreneurs to bring it back?🙂