Glacier Bay viewing need help deciding betweeen two sailings--Is one a better time for taking pictures

I am looking at two sailings.  One is a north bound that sails in Glacier Bay area from 6AM to 3:30PM and the other is a South bound that sails in the Glacier Bay area from 9AM to 7:30PM.  Is one time better to avoid looking into the sun?  I have no issues getting up early and plan to be out on deck.  I am using a Canon DSLR with zoom lens and I have a circular Hoya polarizer 7 lens hood.  I also have camera gear protection in case of rain.  Thanks in advance.

I've sailed in Glacier Bay and since you can walk on all sides of the ship, it should not make a difference. You can use your polarizer In Alaska, there is generally many hours of daylight.

You can search for sunrise and sunset times at Time and Date dot com.  I used Juneau for the location and July for the month,  but you can adjust for the day you ill be in Glacier Bay

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/juneau?month=7&year=2023

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

For what it’s worth - the one time I’ve been in Glacier Bay, we had a 6:00 am arrival. We arrived to heavy fog but we were assured by the park staff who got in the ship that it should lift in time to see the glaciers. They were right, but the first hour or so of the cruise up the bay the ship was shrouded in fog and we couldn’t see a thing. Once it cleared - long before we reached the head of the bay - it was glorious. So if you choose the 6AM arrival and it’s foggy, hang tight - your day most likely won’t be ruined. 

If your sailing offers one, take the tour that picks you up from the ship while in the glacier fjord and takes you into all the places the cruise ship can't go. They drop you off at the port to meet you ship later in the day. We have done this twice and they were the best tours we've taken in Alaska.

Links to photos:

Tracy Arm 2013

Glacier Day 2021

Dave

Pierces,

Wow looks like an amazing excursion and awesome photos!  Unfortunately,  it does not look like his excursion is offered on the cruise I just booked (Sapphire Princess southbound voyage of the glaciers).  I will definitely seek this excursion out when selecting a ship for my Alaska 4.0 trip.

What ship were you on?

27 minutes ago, world_traveler_et said:

Pierces,

I see both your trips in the links were on Celebrity.  I can see one is the Celebrity Solstice but I can't see the name of the other ship?  Is there a better month for getting to see these glaciers?

It was the Millennium. Second sailing after Alaska reopened in July, 2021. 

Alaska has fairly sporadic weather. We've never been there before June and never later than the first week in September. We have seen sunny and 84° in September and 34° with sleet in June. We have never (in 6 trips) been shut out of the glacier day by weather. It truly is luck of the draw. I will say that even when rainy, Alaska is pretty awesome.

This was Tracy Arm at 5:30 AM

Tracy%20Arm-0017-Edit-3600w.webp

8:30 AM

Tracy%20Arm-0216-3600w.webp

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 3

On 4/12/2023 at 7:17 AM, world_traveler_et said:

ChatKat,

Thank you for the link for the Sunrise and Sunset times for the ports.

If you find that you need sunrise / sunset times anywhere else in the world there are lots of sites on the WEB that will give you that info.