Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

37 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I’d love to see photos of this epic excursion!

For the train, dress in layers and make sure you have a base layer that is “barely there.”  Those train cars are so hot it’s like a sauna.  Make sure you are out on a platform when going through the tunnels.

Thank you for those tips. Photos to come.

RVY  You really have done some nice ones.  Please let us know more.  Wes are on the Aug 14 cruise.

PS  James Campbell's wife also writes, some pieces they write together. Really good 

On 5/11/2023 at 4:50 PM, psalm104 said:

And did you see any similar golf carts/shuttles in Skagway or Juneau that take passengers from ship to where the main town/transportation is? (We will have one or two people who may have issues walking long distances.)

On 5/11/2023 at 5:40 PM, MommaK2D2 said:

Depending on where docked in Juneau- most docks you roll right off boat and into the tram area.  

If I’m not mistaken, NCL uses the far industrial pier in Juneau, requiring either a shuttle ride into town, or a *long* walk. NCL spent something like $20 million to buy land for a new pier in Juneau a few years ago, but I don’t know whatever happened to that. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

If I’m not mistaken, NCL uses the far industrial pier in Juneau, requiring either a shuttle ride into town, or a *long* walk. NCL spent something like $20 million to buy land for a new pier in Juneau a few years ago, but I don’t know whatever happened to that. 

Ward Cove in Ketchikan is the new NCL pier which is 7 miles away from downtown Ketchikan. The shuttle ride is approximately 25 minutes depending on traffic. NCL shore excursions usually pick up passengers at Ward Cove. I do not know where independent shore excursions pick up their passengers.

The Jewel docked at a pier in Juneau that was about a little over a mile away from downtown Juneau, so it was a 5 minute shuttle ride between the pier and the area by the tram in downtown. I was able to leisurely walk back to the ship in 25 minutes.

In Skagway it was an easy 5-10 minute walk from the ship to downtown, though you can also take a shuttle into town. 

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

NCL ended up donating the land back to the Huna nation.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Not necessarily.  My Norwegian Spirit dock on June 24 is the AS dock.

On 5/31/2023 at 12:16 AM, Sugar Magnolia said:

@YVRteacher I can see why you like the Jewel. It has been such a pleasant cruise since embarking yesterday. I always gravitate toward the newer bigger ships and did not know what to expect, but the Jewel is indeed a jewel.

The stateroom and public areas are in great shape considering the age of this grand lady. The crew is one of the best I have encountered. Nightly entertainment was also a pleasant surprise so far with comedian Andrew Kennedy and Rock You Tonight. 

We were advised at the Latitudes meeting that there are 1842 passengers on board. Many more than on your sailing, but still feels luxurious. 

I was on the Getaway, Prima and the Epic just this year; the Jewel is a welcome relief from that frenzy, especially for us non-Haven folks. 

Tomorrow is the Aleutian Ballard excursion. I can hardly contain my excitement. Thanks again for sharing and all that you do. 

Which port and tour is the Aleutian Ballard? That sounds very interesting

22 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The Bliss in April docked in town two weeks in a row.

On 6/4/2023 at 1:02 AM, quack2 said:

Not necessarily.  My Norwegian Spirit dock on June 24 is the AS dock.

This would be a great change. Princess/HAL had such a stranglehold on Alaska for decades, it caused NCL a lot of consternation trying to make moves in the market.

On 5/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, Dachgraf said:

We have booked the Debarkation Scenic Cruisetrain from Seward to Anchorage, departure is at 6:50a.
Is the Garden Cafe open earlier on the day of disembarkation? Otherwise the breakfast will be a bit stressful ...

On 5/20/2023 at 9:43 PM, YVRteacher said:

It is open at 6:00am.  

Thanks to Teo, we were able to order an early breakfast, served by the night butler, as early as 5:15 am, even though breakfast can only be ordered from 6:30 am ...

Just back today from our  Rocky Mountaineer trip. Don’t mean to hijack the thread. Sorry. 

What a fabulous trip. And it reinforced my love of Canadians!  You are all so nice. And spectacular weather. We had one day of smoke in Calgary. But not too bad. At home in Pennsylvania, there were several days of terrible smoke. Pray that the wildfires are put out soon and everyone is safe

IMG_2618.jpeg

IMG_2624.jpeg

IMG_2630.jpeg

IMG_2651.jpeg

IMG_2690.jpeg

IMG_2715.jpeg

IMG_2764.jpeg

IMG_2783.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

• Like 8

On 5/31/2023 at 4:41 PM, YVRteacher said:

I sometimes wonder if they make it so terrible so that first drink on board tastes extra good!

Glad you survived the harrowing experience at the Port of Vancouver!

YVR, random question here but did you find the crepes onboard the jewel? Thought I remember you saying you had but I read other reviews as well.  Two days in and I'm sadly crepeless.

Of course! I’ll be doing a live review from the Spirit so will try to remember to post the reason for the 3 in that thread.  I’m guessing it’s because the smaller boat pulls up alongside the cruise ship for boarding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Of course! I’ll be doing a live review from the Spirit so will try to remember to post the reason for the 3 in that thread.  I’m guessing it’s because the smaller boat pulls up alongside the cruise ship for boarding.

This is the boat that was used for the Hubbard Glacier on Monday 6/12. It docked against the Spirit. 

af019fd6-bd3b-46dc-87cd-ad1b84c2385e.thumb.jpeg.ad12cb462ad09506cc22ba41d7dea7b8.jpeg

• Like 1